Monday, January 11, 2016

Great Loop: Random Thoughts - the "head"


It suddenly struck me as I was coming out of the shower at the marina how different life is living on a boat than being at home. I know it has taken me almost seven months to sort all this out in my head, but for some reason the trip to the “head” this morning triggered a whole flood of thoughts about our looper life style. Not all loopers have the same experiences as each one has slightly different circumstances starting with the size and style of boat and their captain’s views on certain subject matters. Clark is my captain, so I try very hard to adhere to his rules.

The Head

Since the “head” was where my reflections on being a looper on a Mainship 350 with Clark as my captain began, I will start there. For people following my blog, it is pretty obvious that we are reluctant to use the toilet aka ‘head’ on the boat. The reason for this is that we have a holding tank that holds 60 gallons of waste maximum. We have never filled it to the top, and for obvious reasons, I for one do not want to find out what happens when you reach maximum capacity or God forbid exceed it.

In New Jersey pump-outs are free with an expected $5.00 tip to the dockhand. In some places along the way, as in Canada, we found pump-outs that cost as much as $15. Though for some reason or another we always seemed to get away with a free pump-out there; usually because the person ringing up the sale “forgot” to charge us for the pump-out as we paid hundreds of dollars for our fuel. Other places we have found along the way just charge the $5.00 tip fee. Most places have a dockhand to assist with the potentially messy job, but many times in New Jersey Clark has done his own dirty duty.

Mostly I adhere to the “thou shalt not use the head” rule. The one exception is if I am in my pajamas. Then thankfully I get to use the boat head. Generally speaking this means that if I get up at 3:00 a.m., I can use the boat toilet. If, at midnight, I am not in pajamas, which I frequently am not, I must make the trek. On rare occasions I am defiant and use the boat toilet at midnight. Too bad I cannot do that without feeling guilty! Sometimes, but very rarely, I even use the head on the boat during the daytime. How rebellious is that??

When we reached Tarpon Springs, Florida, I found a new setup that I had not seen before – every slip had a pump-out connection right there on the floating dock. How convenient to have no need to go looking for a place to pump out! Also, the charge – nothing! Even better. Could I get Clark to agree that we did not need to walk half a mile (round trip) to use the head every time we needed to go? Of course not.

The boat was docked at Tarpon Springs for four weeks in December. Granted we were not on it for half of that time, but Clark only had the pump out done one time – two days before we left port for our next destination and then only because I basically demanded he get it done. We were over 3/4 full, and I felt it was time. When I talked to the other loopers docked at Tarpon Springs on either side of us, they all said the same thing, “Since the pump-out is right here, I have just been using the boat and not worried about it.” Grrrrrr!

Related to pump-outs, I heard one “horror story” recently from a fellow looper regarding his stay on the Erie Canal. Back in June the Erie Canal closed due to heavy rain and debris in the canal. Several loopers including our friend Ralph got caught on the canal at that time and could not progress until the canal was reopened. I gather at their location there were no public restrooms, and alas, there was no pump-out station to be found in his vicinity. He was caught there as were a number of other boats, and after two weeks of no pump-out, they were all desperate to find a way to empty their holding tanks.

A tanker truck, used to empty septic tanks, came to their rescue. Our friend Ralph got his tank emptied first, and since the woman on the next boat in line required assistance, he helped with hers as well. That is when all hell broke loose! Ralph still does not know why, but the setup with the truck caused some sort of backwards pressure that sent the boat end of the flexible pipe flying into the air.

Holding tank muck flew everywhere – all over the boat and all over Ralph! He said that he was covered from head to toe in filth; it even went in his mouth! He dropped everything as he ran for his own boat, stripping as he went. He said that last thing anyone saw of him was his bare butt climbing onto his boat. He told his wife to “bag-and-tag” his clothes; I gather they went into a dumpster never to be seen again. He showered off the muck and brushed his teeth five times. Fortunately he had no ill effects from the event – just a good story to tell afterwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment