Sunday, January 3, 2016

Florida: Exploring Anna Maria Island


Day 175
No Boat Travel.

Before returning home to the boat last night, I made a date with Jane and her friend Sam to go to the gourmet donut shop in town. We agreed to be ready at 8:00, so I set my alarm and dragged myself out of bed around 7:25. With overcast skies it looked and felt more like 6:00 a.m. Worse yet, when we stepped off the boat for our morning trip to the “head”, we found that the air was full of moisture. I had on a light jacket to protect myself from the mist in the air. This turned out to be insufficient protection when the rain worsened as we walked the docks to get to the restrooms.

Due to the foul weather Jane said she would drive us “girls” to the donut shop, so I did not have to take my bike out in the rain.  The “boys” decided to stay back on the boat. At “The Donut Experiment” (see thedonutexperiment.com for details) the customer has their own donut made to order with an icing and a topping of choice. Somehow we got from planning to get 6 donuts to buying a dozen. When we left, we had 3 maple icing with bacon, a chocolate with coconut, a chocolate with peanuts, a maple with cinnamon sugar, a  vanilla iced with no topping, one maple with graham cracker crumbs I believe, the special of the day – key lime, and a few more I cannot remember.

From the donut shop we went to an art store and bought paint and brushes, so Jane can try her hand at painting a picture she wants to add to her boat décor. Following that, Jane took us to a home decorating store where we looked at cushions and trimmings for Jane’s new boat. We wandered the relatively small store for quite some time exploring all the nooks and crannies to see what goodies they have that might coordinate with Jane’s intended color scheme. Jane walked away with a few good ideas and the need to measure some areas of the boat to see what will fit.

After fully investigating the interior design store, we headed off to Publix to pick up a few food essentials. While there Jane told me that we were having ribs for dinner. Yum!! Since Clark cannot eat pork, I bought him a steak to eat instead and picked up a few things to supplement the dinner menu.

When I eventually got back to the boat, I found Clark strumming away on his guitar. I do not think he missed me at all. I put my groceries away and then cooked the stir fry veggies I bought for dinner tonight. Once that was all settled, we had our lunch and then headed into town on our bikes to look around. By noon the rain had stopped and by the time we left the boat, most of the puddles were already drying out.

For our first stop, Clark and I headed to the pier. The pier was originally built in 1911 to greet visitors coming to the resort island via steamship. Since then the pier has weathered a number of storms and been restored four times after serious damage from hurricanes.


Anna Maria City Pier

View from City Pier

The City Pier Restaurant at the end of the pier


Temperatures dropped overnight and it was windy on the pier. One poor bird looked mighty chilly as he stood beside us on the pier fishing for his dinner.




Clark captured some pretty island views while on or near the city pier.

View of pier from near the street

View of the nearby beach

View from the foot bridge

View from Anna Maria Island

Continuing on, we made our way to the beach. We walked our bikes down the sandy pathway through the overhanging tree branches. Where the sand turned to boardwalk, we found a bike rack and left our bikes to continue onward without dragging the them along.

Walk through the "jungle" to the beach

Wooden walkway to beach

Multiple historic markers are set up in town explaining the background behind key items of interest on the island. For example, we learned about the origin of the island and the history behind some of the buildings including the old jail in town. 

The jail was built in 1927 due to the dancehall opening in town where men would become drunk and disorderly. A building with bars but no windows was constructed as the mayor decided that a night with the mosquitoes would sober anyone. After spending a night “in the slammer” the guilty parties had no desire to spend another. Very quickly folks learned to behave themselves at the dancehall.

After the jail caught fire many years ago, nothing was left of the building except the cement block walls once the fire had run its course. Instead of tearing the building down, the town made the decision to leave the burned-out building standing as a tourist attraction. It worked and worked well! The old jail is one of the most photographed historic buildings on the island.  


Remains of the 1927 Anna Maria City Jail


 Moving right along we rode our bikes down the “main drag” through town – Pine Ave. Pine has a number of interesting shops including the ones we visited earlier in the day with the exception of Publix which is outside of town.


Pine Ave  - Anna Maria Island

Building with Mural on Pine Ave

Some Shops on Pine Ave

At 4:00 we decided that we had explored enough for one day and headed back to the boat. Whether it was the fresh air with exercise or a lack of sleep, I do not know, but I decided to lie on the bed and close my eyes. My mother used to say to me, “Just five minutes” as she closed her eyes for a nap. Now that I am older, I understand how vital those “5 minutes” can be to rejuvenating oneself.

We were invited to come to Ben and Jane’s for dinner at 5:00, so once again today I dragged myself out of bed to get my act together enough to bike to their place. I was so thankful that I cooked earlier in the day, so I was all set when it was time to head out. When we arrived at Jammin Jane, folks were busy cooking. Ben was working the smoker for our ribs and prepping the grill for our vegetables. Jane and Sam were inside getting the veggies ready to be put on to cook.

Dinner was a huge success as everything tasted great. Since Clark does not eat pork, the ribs were a real special treat for me. Ben used peach and pecan wood in the smoker to enhance the flavor of the meat. Mmmmm-Mmmmm good!

Ev, Sam, and Max
with asparagus and stir-fried squash with peppers

Ben, Jane, Clark, Ev, and Sam
preparing to enjoy ribs and acorn squash


No comments:

Post a Comment