Thursday, January 7, 2016

Florida: Anna Maria Island - shelling

Day 180
No travel today

Before flying off to Ohio Jane from Jammin Jane was very kind and drove me to the Publix to stock up on vegetables and other necessities to fill up my empty refrigerator. While I was getting my food, Clark tried to get the 5-pound propane tank for the boat stove refilled. Due to the date stamped on the tank, the Ace Hardware store where he went refused to refill it. After we got back to the boat he spent an inordinate amount of time looking for a place to buy a new tank, and he eventually ordered one online to be delivered early next week.

As we walked past Mazel Tug with our bags of grocery in tow, we saw Ralph who said that Linda wanted to go "shelling" today and asked if we were interested. Clark said he had too many chores, but I said I would be interested. However, since I had a pile of groceries to put away, I said I would need to take care of that job first. Ralph said not to worry because "nothing happens fast around here." By the time I got the food stashed, lunchtime was rapidly approaching. I decided that I had to eat before I could go out exploring.

One thing led to another and then another and finally at 2:00 I went down to see Linda to find out her plans for going out. I found her in the middle of a boat-cleanup project that she said she could not leave partway through. I decided that since she was otherwise occupied, I would go with Clark to the post office just to get some exercise on my bike. It was pretty clear to me that she had no intention of going shelling today as when I said I was going for a bike ride she looked up at the gray sky as if to say, "in this weather?"

I suggested to Clark that if we were biking to the post office, we should stop by the museum just for something to do, and he thought that a brilliant idea. He was fed up with boat business and wanted to get out to do something relaxing. It was 3:00 by the time Clark finally said he was ready to go to the post office, and by the time we got the bikes out and were ready to be on our way, my watch showed 3:25. I laughed and reminded Clark that the museum closed at 4:00, and we would have a deja vu of our last attempt to visit there if we did not get there before 3:55. Clark's response, "Bike faster!"

I thought I should have kept my mouth shut as I pedaled down the street trying to catch up to him. We stopped at the post office, which was our primary purpose in going out. Lightening fast Clark zipped into the post office and back out again having mailed his letter. As we prepared to go to the museum next, he asked me the time and I saw that it was now 3:28! It had only taken three minutes to bike to town and mail the letter, so we had a whole half hour to see the museum.

The museum is one of the smallest I have visited, but it gave a reasonable explanation of the history of Anna Maria Island all the way from its origin to current day. Sharing the grounds with the museum is the Belle Haven Cottage, which was the home of the founder of the island. According to the curator, the cottage was located out on the pier but fell into the water. After that the house was floated to its present location and restored. He said that as a result of the mishap, the kitchen was lost and only the living room and bedroom survived.


Historical Marker for Museum and Belle Haven Cottage

Belle Haven Cottage
The inside of the cottage contained many interesting artifacts. The living room contained a Christmas tree and a table set for Christmas dinner making it particularly charming. Both rooms had lots of things to look at.

Decorated for Christmas


Pot-bellied Stove


Bedroom

Old Sewing Machine

Doll Furniture 

Raggedy Ann Story Book
and More Doll Furniture

After our quick tour of the two buildings, I noticed the curator take down the open sign. At least this time we had seen what the museum had to offer before they closed.

Clark surprised me after our museum visit by suggesting that we go "shelling" at Bean's Point. Amazingly after several days of gloomy skies, the sun came out for us. I readily agreed that we should head for the beach. Luckily I had a plastic bag in my bike bag, so I had somewhere to put the sandy shells as we found them.

Still a Little Hazy out there

White Sugary Sands of Anna Maria Island

Clark Looking for Shells 

A Portion of our Shell Collection


After collecting our shells, we went straight back to the boat. I washed the shells and Clark washed a section of the boat that had managed to obtain a nasty black mark on the side where we board the boat. Now that I have a shell collection I have no clue what to do with it.

All cleaned up after our return to the boat
The boat is docked at the far end of the marina near a lot of foliage. Many interesting sounds come out of that greenery which closely resembles a jungle in sound as well as appearance. Sometimes, like tonight when we are outside, we hear quite a lot of noise coming from within the trees.


This bird and his relatives generate a large portion of the
noises coming from the area beside the boat.

Having done my shopping this morning, I had plenty of food on hand. I made Mediterranean Tilapia for dinner tonight to use up some of my fresh vegetables and gain some space in my now too-full fridge. It was yummy! I love fresh vegetables.

Tonight and tomorrow morning we are expecting rain. Ben's friend said he came to Florida to get a tan and instead he has gotten wind burn! Rain, rain go away!


No comments:

Post a Comment