Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Florida: Anna Maria Island - Harry's Grill

Day 179
No boat travel

Things seem to happen in slow motion here, or at least it feels that way. We started out the day thinking we would make the trip back into town to visit the museum, but since Jane on Jammin Jane is not available starting tomorrow, I texted her to see if we should get together today. She wants to learn how to crochet, paint for fun i.e. pictures, and sew. Since I can do all three, I offered her a choice of what she might like to do together.

Before we could get together, however, Clark had some more paperwork on the boat he wanted to finish, and Ben and Jane had a Garmin person coming over to walk them through the electronics on their boat. While all that was going on, I was just hanging out on our boat reading my final "Lady Grace" novel and playing Candy Crush and Alphabetty. So exciting, I know!

Since I have almost no food in the refrigerator, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to defrost the darn thing yet again. I turned off the fridge before I made lunch, and by the time we had eaten, the job was done. The defrost process does not take a long time. It is just annoying that I need to do it as frequently as I do. Today I decided to leave the freezer full of food and just defrost the top. If that was a bad idea, I will find out the next time I go to get something out of my freezer.

Finally at 3:00 we finally were ready on both sides to get together. Clark brought a belt tightener to see if Ben needed to use it for the work he was doing on the belts on his boat. We biked over and as soon as Clark got there he was lying on the floor in the salon with his head through the hatch watching the activity in the engine room. Jane took me into the house to show me the fabric she had to make boat cushions with.

Eventually Jane and I left to go shopping.  She decided on sewing from the activity options I offered. We planned on buying thread and some pillow forms to help with her cushion making project. Ultimately we ended up at Walmart as our first stop, and the throw pillows there were so inexpensive, she bought them instead of spending time making them. With the heavy traffic on the island in conjunction with our shopping time, we were gone for three hours. By the time we got back to the boat it was almost time for dinner, so it was a very good thing that we found a solution that did not require manual labor to get the desired end result.

We stopped at a gas station while we were out, and I found it interesting that a home decorator's store next door had a neon sign that read "The fastest way to give your home a face lift is with new cushions." I pointed out the sign to Jane, and we agreed that her boat was definitely getting a face lift with the new cushions she had just purchased.

While I was out shopping with Jane, I bought a few items for myself including a tube of white acrylic paint. I nearly ran out of white while painting the pelican and the pink flamingo pictures the other day, so I needed a refill. I felt like painting last night and made a picture for myself this time of a palm tree which is now hanging in our head on the boat. While out shopping I saw a great picture of two herons at Bed, Bath and Beyond, so I whipped out my camera to grab a photo. I am thinking that will be my next painting subject.

Late night art work on the boat

Mazel Tug came into the marina today where Clark and I are staying. They had hoped to come yesterday but the wave action was too much, so they waited an extra day before coming to the island. The waves today were in the five to seven foot range they said, so it was not a pleasant ride. Since today was better than yesterday, I wonder what the wave heights were then.

The six of us loopers, plus Ben's friend Kenny visiting from Illinois, all went out to dinner tonight at "Harry's Grill". The idea was to eat outside, but around 5:30 it started to drizzle and by 6:00 it was rain with no sign of letting up. We dined inside and all ordered cheese burgers which seems to be the house specialty. There is no excuse for leaving there hungry as the burgers are enormous. By the time I was done with mine I had to go wash my hands to remove the barbecue sauce that had oozed out of the bun. I was one sticky mess!

Dining at Harry's Grill: Ben and Jane from Jammin Jane, 
Ralph and Linda from
 Mazel Tug, and Clark and I from Sea Moss
(Kenny took the photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment