Friday, January 1, 2016

Florida: 2015 Recap and Welcome to New Year 2016!!!


Day 173 – 12/31/2015
No Boat Travel.

As 2015 came to a close, I reflected back on what an amazing year we had. I started out the year taking art classes and attending water aerobics sessions at the YMCA. Clark continued to work at Ikanos and relax by attending weekly guitar classes and swimming at the Y.

In March I flew to Utah to help my son and his wife work on their house in Park City, Utah. While I was there, the three of us and my granddaughter took a quick overnight road trip to visit Boise, Idaho where my son later took a position working for Hewlett Packard.

By April my main focus moved to preparing for the trip of our lives, and on June 17th, we loaded the boat, pulled in the lines, and headed north to start our Great Loop adventure.  Since then we have covered quite a bit of territory! While living on board our boat for the past 6.5 months, we have visited thirteen states and one Canadian province thus far on our trip.

      By boat we visited places in NJ, NY, Ontario, MI, IL, MO, KY, TN, MS, AL, and FL
      Distance Traveled in our trawler: 3496 Nautical Miles or approximately 4023 statute miles
      Along the way, we navigated through 102 locks in a variety of shapes, sizes, and functional design.

      By rental car we visited places in MI, NJ, MO, GA, TX, LA, and CT*
      Distance Traveled in rental cars: over 5000 miles

* The road trip I made to Connecticut in September had a similar purpose as my trip to Utah in March – paint! While in Connecticut, I helped my younger son and his wife paint a bedroom to prepare for the arrival of their first child (and my second granddaughter) in February. So excited!

Many people have asked me what it is like to live on a boat for months at a time. My response is that it is like being on vacation every day with a new place to explore right around the next bend.

Our year ended with a quite literal bang as we stood in St. Petersburg, Florida watching fireworks to say farewell to 2015. Late in the day on the 30th of December we decided that we would buy tickets to First Night in St. Petersburg. Activities started as early as 4:00 in the afternoon and ran until the fireworks exploded at midnight. Earlier events targeted the younger population with later events targeting the older generations.

We made arrangements to go into St. Pete with Clark’s cousin, Dawn, who we visited on the 25th for Christmas dinner. She picked us up at the marina just before 5:00 and drove us into St. Pete to collect our First Night “buttons”, find a restaurant for dinner, and then hit the “grown-up” events that we found interesting. The problem with that plan was that we had interest in too many shows to attend them all.
    
For dinner we decided to try Tappas at Ceviche. We each selected three dishes and had no room for dessert by the time we finished the plates. While we ate we selected our target destinations. The places / shows we managed to visit from our list were the following:
  1 – Vocalist Belinda Womack – Gospel Remix
  2 – 8:00 fireworks show
  3 – Glice ice skating (watched kids struggle to skate on a wax-like, faux ice surface)
  4 – Shuffleboard (watched some folks playing and listened to some music at the “World’s Largest Shuffleboard” club)
  5 – American Stage Improv (Improv routine based on Place = Boston; Item = Ham; Item = Diet).
  6 – Songwriter, singer and guitarist Brooke Ramel (Clark liked this show so much he bought three of her CDs after the show) 
   7 – Songwriter, singer, and guitarist Jun Bustamante (One of Dawn’s local favorites)

Besides the shows we attended, we saw numerous other activities in progress as we walked about town from one site to another – something for everyone. I made sure to put on my FitBit before leaving for the event. At the end of the evening, my wrist vibrated as the FitBit hit the 10,000 steps mark – the goal for the day!

We left St. Petersburg just before 11:00 as our driver, Dawn, wanted to be home before midnight and a flock of crazy or drunk drivers came out on the roads. Clark and I watched the ball drop on our on-board television and heard a few bangs and sizzles outside as people fired off their “at home” fireworks.


Fireworks in St. Petersburg, FL


Florida: from Gulfport to Anna Maria Island

Day 174 – 1/1/2016
NM Today: 15
NM Total: 3511

Before heading out to the First Night activities yesterday, Clark and I moved the boat to a different dock within the Gulfport Municipal Marina. The net result  was that the “head” / restroom became 50% closer to the boat as a result of the move.  Two other boats came into the marina yesterday afternoon to share the transient dock with us – one a current looper and one a boater planning to start the loop in 2016.

Regardless of how close or far away the restroom is located, that first walk in the morning is a tough one. Inevitably a sense of urgency accompanies the first walk of the day. I got up in the morning with my usual urgent need to use the head. When I got to the ladies room, I found the door closed and locked. I had never found it locked before. I tried my key which went into the lock but would not turn, so I went to look for assistance. I found someone and the conversation went like this:

 “Are you marina staff?”
 “Yes, mam.”
 “Can you tell me why the ladies room door is locked?”
“The door isn’t locked”, he replied.
 “It most certainly is locked”, said I.
“No, it’s not locked.”
“Well, if it’s not locked then I am pretty stupid cause I can’t open it.”
“I’m not saying that, but …” his voice trailed off as if to confirm that he did consider me quite stupid indeed.
By now I was infuriated and even more desperate to use the facilities than before.  This of course did not improve my mood one little bit.
When we got to the door, and he said to me “Give me your key.”
I did so and he put the key in the lock, turned the key (why couldn’t I do that), opened the door, and said to me, “See I told you it’s not locked.”
My response, “Damn it!!” as I walked past him into the restroom.

Besides being under construction, which made getting to the restroom a royal pain, we saw signs on every gate and door of the marina warning boaters that the water was contaminated. When we talked to the folks on Nearly Perfect, they told us they called some officials to complain about the dead fish collecting and smelling near their boat so that it was finally removed. The boater next to ours at our original dock assignment let his dog do his morning dumps on the dock next to his boat, which just happened to be the dock we were also tied to. He then left the evidence sit there all day for us to admire. I think this marina definitely needs to get its act together beyond just completing their current construction project.

I guess the birds have not figured out that the water is contaminated as we saw several species along the docks. 

This guy stood here for hours ...
only slightly distrubed by our passing by his fishing spot

Pelicans


 Needless to say, although the towns of Gulfport and St. Petersburg were fun places to visit, I was not sad to say farewell to this less-than-stellar municipal marina.

We made a relatively short hop to the next marina on our list which only required about two hours of travel to reach. Several weeks back, Jammin Jane told us that they are spending several weeks on Anna Maria Island and invited us to come see them when we got in the area. We arrived at Anna Maria Island a little after noon today.

When we approached the marina, we got a call on the VHF radio from Ben on Jammin Jane welcoming us to the island. Before docking at the marina, we drove our boat around to where they are docked to see their new boat.


The New Jammin Jane - a real beauty!


After a quick hello, we went back to the marina, docked our boat, and had a bite to eat for lunch. Afterwards we grabbed our bicycles and headed down the street to visit Ben and Jane and the friends they currently have visiting with them. Ben and Jane are “living the life” as the place where they are docked has a grill, heated saltwater pool, hot tub, and outdoor shower in a gorgeous tropical setting. I took advantage of the pool. Clark tried the pool and the hot tub and approved of both!

When it finally got too dark to see the pool, Clark and I got on our bikes and headed back to the boat to have an on-board dinner and a quiet evening in front of the television. Before leaving, we made plans to meet Ben and Jane and their friends in the morning for gourmet donuts and some later-in-the-day sightseeing in town.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to enjoy the last few hours of 2015 with family! Thanks Clark & Ev, for delicious dinner & plenty of "First Night" fun! Love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete