Sunday, January 17, 2016

Florida: Tornado Warnings – Palm Island Marina




Day 190
NM Today: 14
NM Total: 3575

The weather alarm sounded on my phone at 4:00 a.m. – Eh – Eh – Eh with the following message:

Extreme Danger
Tornadoes in the Vicinity until 4:15 a.m.
Take cover immediately

My heart was racing as I took stock of the situation. The wind was howling and it was pouring cats and dogs out there. I thought about the marina layout and could not come up with any place that I felt would offer me protection from a tornado. I knew getting off the boat in the middle of the night would be treacherous with the boat movement from the winds and the wet slippery decks especially since even getting off the boat in daylight at this particular marina with its fixed dock can be very challenging depending on the tide level.

I take my cues from Clark. He had heard the phone alarm and looked at his phone and rolled over to go back to sleep. Given all the information I had at hand I decided that staying on board was as good a place as any. As I heard the thunder and lightning outside the boat with the rain pouring down, I prayed and prayed for safe passage through the storm. Eventually the storm subsided and I went back to sleep.

In the morning when I got off the boat to go use the head, I walked past another boater, John from Buffalo NY. Our conversation went like this:

  “Good Morning!” John said. “Quite a night last night, hay?”
 “Yes, my phone went off at 4:00 a.m. – eh, eh, eh!”
  “And you stayed on your boat?!”
  “Yes, I had no idea where to go to be safer.”
  “We got off our boat and went up to the restrooms.”

Now thinking about the layout of the marina building, I truly do not know that the restrooms were safer than my boat. A whole lot of building sits over the restrooms to come down on a person’s head if they are under it all. As I entered the restroom facilities I even examined the construction and did not find it reassuring as a potential tornado shelter.

When I told Clark about my discussion with John from Buffalo, I discovered that he was unaware of any Verizon message indicating imminent danger. His phone message at 4:00 a.m., also from Verizon, was only a tornado watch message. It seems that John and I got the extreme danger message while Clark and another nearby boater with Verizon got the watch only message. Go figure!

Using Google I did a search on tornadoes in Florida and found that Sarasota, where we visited not so long ago, sustained building damage and two people died last night. I understand from the news that tornadoes are expected over the next few weeks. I had no idea I would need to worry about tornadoes on this boating trip!

I later asked Clark if he would have moved to the restrooms had he seen the ‘extreme danger’ message, and his definitive answer was “maybe”.  With all the tornado warnings and incidents in southwest Florida at this time I need to start identifying a plan of action when I arrive at each marina. Next time I get an “extreme danger” message on my phone, I will be sure to show it to Clark so that we can make a joint assessment of the situation.

With the storm the marina experienced high waters and suffered some ill effects.

Sign nearly under water

Junk on walkway
showing water had been higher still

Looking at the Weather Bug app on my phone when I woke this morning, I saw that we had rain predicted for 9:00 and high winds starting at 10:00. I looked at my ‘rainy days’ app to see how soon the 9:00 rain would arrive. It appeared that I had about 5 minutes, 10 at most, to get dressed, get off the boat, hit the head, and get back on board before the rains came. I told Clark the time schedule and we both got dressed in record time. Shortly after we got back on board, the sun disappeared and the rain started. Fortunately it was a small passing storm and not a torrential downpour.

Afterwards the sun came out and it appeared to be a beautiful day. I checked ‘weather bug’ again and it showed winds of 31 mph at 10:00. When winds reach 32 mph, they are labeled gale force winds. Right on schedule at 10:01 the winds came, and boy did they come!

Clark’s hearing is pretty amazing (unless I am talking to him when he seems not to be able to hear at all). He was concerned because he could hear metal banging. I could not hear it at all even after he pointed out the noise. He searched the boat for the source but could not discover any until he realized that the noise was not coming from our boat but from the metal roof of a marina building that appeared to be in danger of having the roof peel off in the wind. (see pictures and videos below)

view of marina from our boat
note palm trees and flat roofed building in back






Shredded Flags at marina due to high winds



Our boater friends on Melinda B had plans to leave the marina at 10:45 for a five-hour trip to Fort Meyers. We noticed at 11:15 they had not left, so we walked over to see them. After considering the wind conditions they decided to change their travel plans and stay one more night at Palm Island Marina.

Clark planned to leave today to head to an anchorage in Pelican Bay with a target departure time of 1:00. Melinda B’s decision to stay put did not influence Clark’s travel plans. We did delay our departure slightly. We left the marina at 1:50. Bob from Melinda B saw us getting ready to depart and came over to help us with our lines and say farewell. By that time the winds had subsided to only 27 mph.

Getting off the dock in the marina was the trickiest part of the trip. As we passed by John-from-Buffalo’s boat, he yelled to us, “You are hardy souls! You are hardy souls!” I loosely translated that to mean “you are crazy people!” The trip was uneventful except for one place where we had to change direction and took the wind on the beam (side of the boat). We rocked and had to catch items as they fell off the bench seats and slid across the deck of the boat; otherwise, the ride was relatively calm.

I was happy after we dropped anchor that Clark had no plans to go ashore at Cayo Costa State Park.  The wind was still up and the water had more movement than I felt like dealing with in our dinghy. He said we will explore tomorrow before we pull up anchor. With that good news I took my novel and laid down in bed to read. Ten minutes later I was asleep. I can only assume that my 4:00 tornado episode deprived me of enough sleep to leave me needing a nap.

I woke up at 6:00 after my two-hour nap – just in time to see the sunset and make dinner. I made one of our favorite dishes Mediterranean Tilapia which turned out yummy.

Sunset at Cayo Costa State Park in Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment