Sunday, January 3, 2016

Florida: Rainy Day Activities on Anna Maria Island


Day 176
No Boat Travel.

We woke this morning to high winds and overcast skies. I checked my phone for the weather and found the wind speed predicted NNE at 18 mph with rain expected throughout the day. Besides wet weather the front brought much cooler temperatures. No more 80 somethings for us as the thermometer read somewhere in the low-60s. Even so, since I wanted a shower up at the marina restrooms, I dressed in shorts for ease of changing.

After returning to the boat I settled in for a laid-back day, grabbed my cereal bowl and my kindle, and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and a good read. I am currently reading a set of Lady Grace mysteries by Grace Cavendish. Theoretically these mysteries set in Elizabethan England are designed for readers aged in their tweens; however, I find them well written, quick reads that are an enjoyable change from romance novels. I borrow them for free from the e-library – just cannot beat that price for a good book!

Clark had, as he called it, “ship’s business” to attend to today. These miscellaneous tasks kept him busy all day. We have no WiFi here as the signal from the marina office does not reach our boat. This makes doing ship’s business a little difficult although when the need arises, we do use our mobile hotspot on a limited basis.

We looked into doing the laundry, but we have to take it to a laundromat somewhere on the island that is not particularly close to the marina. I hate doing laundry in the rain especially if I have to drag it long distances. It is building up, however, so although we are not at critical stage yet, we will be soon. I compounded the problem by changing the sheets on the bed today, so I have clothes and sheets piled up ready to be done.

Yesterday, when I was out shopping with Jane from Jammin Jane, I bought myself an acrylic paint starter kit which included 2 small canvases, 6 paint brushes, a pallet, and an assortment of paint colors. I really wanted to pull out my paints and work on a fun project, but besides changing sheets, I had some other tasks to complete standing in the way of fun time. 

I needed to mend some clothes and get lunch out of the way before sitting down to paint. I also wanted to print out a darling picture of my granddaughter in her winter attire. She is hanging out with her parents and maternal grandparents in Colorado playing in the snow and learning to ski. The photo is now prominently displayed on my boat refrigerator.


My adorable granddaughter -
Sierra Rose
looking too cute for words!

For the mending I pulled out my new travel sewing machine which I really enjoy “playing” with. It made short work out of patching Clark’s shorts and doing some repair work on one of his t-shirts. As soon as I had the mending done, I packed up my machine and made lunch. Since we did not get up particularly early today, and I showered, read, and sewed before making it, we did not finish lunch until after 2:00.

Finally I could pull out my paint supplies and try my hand at painting a couple of pictures. The pictures I had in mind to tackle were ones motivated by my friend Jane on Jammin Jane. She found a small print of a pelican’s head that she wanted for the head (bathroom) on her new boat. The print cost somewhere in the vicinity of $100 and was only about 5”x5” in size. She decided to try to paint it herself for less money. That got me excited to try my hand at it as well. When she bought her starter paint kit, I bought one as well.

The second picture I wanted to paint was akin to the pelican head in theme in that it was a flamingo’s head. I saw a picture of a flamingo in the home decorating store as we shopped there yesterday, and I decided I would try to paint something similar. I had photos on my phone of the two birds, so while I was printing the picture of Sierra, I printed those as well so I had pictures to work from for my painting.

When I finally sat down to start painting, my main problem, as always, was coming up with the right color combinations to complete the pictures given the limited choice of paint colors in the kit. I used the acrylic painting technique taught to me by Gerard at the Holmdel NJ Michael’s store. I like his technique much better than the approach I was taught at the art classes offered by the Monmouth County Park system. I took classes from both teachers last winter. The styles are about as different as can be.

Mid-afternoon, while I was busy with my art work, Jane sent me a text message to ask if Clark and I wanted to join her, Ben, and their friends for dinner at the nearby Japanese steak house for Hibachi. We readily agreed to meet them there for dinner at 7:30. I looked at my watch. I had just over three hours to complete my paintings before dinner. I continued my work and finished my pelican picture with time to spare. I decided that, with two hours left, I still had time to do the flamingo as well. When all was said and done, I think the pictures turned out quite well.

Flamingo Painting

Pelican Painting

 I brought the pictures to dinner with me. I carefully wrapped them in aluminum foil as I had no gift wrap on board and tucked them into my pocket book for safe keeping. I mentioned at dinner that I had spent time painting, and when Jane asked if I had a photo of the pictures I had worked on today, I pulled them out of my bag and presented them to her as a gift. She was very surprised and appeared quite pleased with my gift.


Dinner was excellent with good food and better company. We all left there stuffed. Since Jane and Ben’s friends are leaving tomorrow, we said our farewells after dinner. Clark and I walked the docks back to our boat (the restaurant is located at our marina), and the others drove the short distance back to Jammin Jane. Since we plan on staying on Anna Maria Island for a few more days, we expect / hope to see a bit more of Jane and Ben before it is time for us to move on to our next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment