Sunday, March 4, 2018

Marathon Exploring via Kayak

Tuesday 2/27/2018
Kayak boating only.

We had a choice of adventures today - dinghy pub crawl or exploring via kayak. Because we had some items to attend to today, we opted for the kayak trip. With that in mind, we got ourselves up and around early to go exploring before the sun got too high in the sky. We set off around 9:30 to see what we could see.

Clark decided  we should head towards the 7-Mile Bridge and explore the islands to the west of Faro Blanco.


Blue line on map
gives rough idea of the area we explored.

To start our trip, Clark decided we could take a shortcut by going under the dock to the fuel pumps. Since I have Yak Gear outriggers on my kayak for added stability, I wondered if I would fit through. I also wondered how far I would have to bend over to avoid conking my head. I watched Clark carefully to see where he went and then followed. We emerged on the other side of the fixed dock unscathed and set off to have a look around at areas we have never been before.


Leaving Faro Blanco waters to explore



Coast Guard Station beside Faro Blanco Resort 

To continue on Clark's chosen path we had to kayak under a low bridge. Some of the supports did not look to be in great shape.

"Low bridge, everybody down ..."


Here I am kayaking through the opening ...
The places Clark takes me!
(Notice the outriggers!)
Faro Blanco lighthouse in background
(note bridge we passed under in photo)

Being in kayaks we could get up close to areas we would not approach in Sunset Delight or our dinghy.


Palm Island

 Clark went in close with the camera while I hung back a bit and watched from afar.


He saw - Lawn chairs on island



and Impulse high and dry.

We tried to read a sign on the island and had difficulty making out the message.


All we could see were the
WARNING  and DO NOT CROSS
parts of the sign

The duplicate sign on the opposite shore was a bit easier to read.


WARNING
High Voltage Electric Line
Under Water Along Buoys
DO NOT CROSS

Clark decided that the warning was meant for boats with propellers and sent me across the buoy line to check it out.


I did not get fried, so he must have been correct!


OK, I'm through. Now Clark better follow!


Once across the "do not cross" line, we wove in and out of the area exploring the sights.


House on island - under construction 
Neighboring (private) marina


As we left this marina, a man on a boat asked me about the "stabilizers" on my kayak. I had not thought of them as such, but that is basically their purpose. I certainly found them stabilizing whenever a fast boat made a wake that rocked me.


Another kayak (tandem) enjoying the calm waters of the day

Crab traps galore!

The next channel we traveled down led us to Porky's Bayside Restaurant where we ate earlier in the month.


Porky's as seen from the water!

More crab trap supplies - they are everywhere

After checking out the pathways leading to marinas and restaurants, we checked out the deserted island.

Well maybe not so deserted - more like a bird jungle!

The island smelled awful due to the abundance of rotting sea grass. Apparently the birds loved the solitude and did not mind the stink.


We made it as far as just before 7-Mile bridge and
then started to make our way back to Faro Blanco.

As luck would have it, bad luck that is, we fought the current the entire route. Where I managed to keep forward movement as we headed west, I struggled to make headway on the return trip.

As we paddled back towards "home", off in the distance, we could see the dinghies leaving Faro Blanco for their pub crawl. Ah! It must be around 11:00 - the designated start time for the run. They will be long gone by the time we fight the current back to FB.

Passing Palm Island I noticed a small building, and I kept looking over to see where it sat relative to my position on the water. Sadly, every time I looked the house appeared to be in the exact same place that I saw it the last time I looked. In other words, I could keep up with the current at this pace, but I could not get ahead of it. Also, I better not stop paddling or I would start going backwards in a hurry. I decided that the drink of water I really wanted would have to wait until later.

Struggling to move towards Faro Blanco, I looked to see Clark far ahead of me darting around, checking out the houses and the terrain.



Ouch - no barefeet here on this beach!

I found it annoying that Clark had left me far behind to explore, but I could not dwell on it as I had to focus on my strokes. I "put my back into it" to speed up and get moving. Slowly I started to leave the little building behind me. Yay! Progress!


Finally! Faro Blanco lighthouse in sight

Getting closer!

As we entered the marina, we found Devon, a Faro Blanco staff member, walking on the dock, and Clark asked her to take a couple of pictures of us in our kayaks.


Here we are at the final stretch ...

Clark's in the lead of course.




To get back onto our boat, we had to maneuver around the poles and lines of the surrounding boats. Because of my outriggers, I had to find a spot wide enough for me to turn around so I could back up to our swim platform to disembark.

All done for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment