Sunday, March 11, 2018

Fort Myers Beach - Bowditch Point Park

Sunday 3/4/2018
No boat travel.

Given Clark got a "two-for" deal and we had an unplanned for second day at Fort Myers Beach, I spent the day taking care of miscellaneous tasks like laundry, blog, and reading while Clark thinned out the backlog of mail and email he had accumulated.

We had no water at the dock which limited some activities. Having spent several days on the Gulf with salt spray, water to wash down the boat would have been appreciated. Instead we got to look at a very salty hull. The white salt on the flag blue hull shows up remarkably well.

With no electric, I used my propane stove to cook our food, but I wanted to bake applesauce cake for Clark and prefer to use electric for that task. Clark watched me mixing up the ingredients and asked about my plans. I said, "I'm making applesauce cake for you." "But we don't have electric", he replied. "Oh yes we do!", I said as I packed all my items into a bag including my toaster oven and headed out the door to the boater's lounge. I spent the afternoon at the boater's lounge doing my laundry and updating my blog while the cake cooked.

Clark came up to visit me and use the head at one point during the afternoon just as a 100% solar-powered boat pulled up to the dock. Clark of course rushed out to check it out. I stuck my head out the door and heard the captain say he was participating in a race from St. Petersburg to Key Largo.

He mentioned that they had 7 boats in his class, but his was the only one completely solar. Others had auxiliary power such as sails. He did not stay at Fort Myers Beach. I think he stopped there as a pit stop only. I heard him speculating about whether or not he could reach some place by midnight, but I did not hear where that place would be.

At 5:00 Clark called me from our boat to ask if I wanted to ride our bikes out to Bowditch Point Park to see the sunset tonight. We would have to hurry to get there on time to find a good picture spot. Since I had been indoors all day, a bike ride sounded like fun.

With no other way to get there, we biked right through Times Square and then out to the point.






Some places had packed sand and scrub grass, so we even managed to bike out to the beach. On the places where my skinny tires sank in the sand, I walked / pushed the bike. Somehow Clark managed to push through even the sandy parts.




While we waited for the sun to get in the right position, we checked out the sights including the local pirate ship.


Sunset Cruise on a Pirate Ship

Nature provided some interesting sights to explore as well.









Clark searched for a good spot to get his sunset picture.

Clark lining up his shot

Resultant Photo

The park closed at dusk, so as soon as our sunset picture taking was over we had to skedaddle. As we made our way back through Times Square so did a hundred other people who had stayed to see the sun set. Getting down the sidewalk was a major event. Happily we got to a side street where we could cut away from the crowd to return to our marina.

After stowing our bikes, I made meatloaf for dinner, and we relaxed on board for the rest of the night. Since I have been without television for the entire time I was in the Keys, I forgot that we could now actually turn it on and find something not in Spanish to watch. For the novelty of being able to watch something we watched NCIS Los Angles. Normally I like this show, but for some unknown reason, I found it somewhat irritating to have the television on. Perhaps it was just the plot for this week's episode.


No comments:

Post a Comment