Sunday, July 5, 2015

Peterborough - Little Lake Marina

Day 18
NM Today: 0
NM Total: 500
Locks Today: 0
Locks Total: 47
Travel Time: 0 hrs.

The agenda for today was supposed to be a leisurely kayak ride around the lake here at the marina. However, we decided that the VHF radio, our main communication device with other boats and marinas, needed to be repaired.  The microphone sound quality (volume) was extremely weak.  Also the plastic latch on my clothes closet decided to disintegrate when I closed the door last night.  We hoped the local boat store would be able to provide a latch, but the microphone for the VHF was another story.

The only electronics parts stores we could find online were in Toronto, Vancouver, and Ottawa.  We found a number of local stores selling electronics, and we decided to take the bikes out to visit the various stores to see what we could find to solve our mike problem.  The stores all appeared to be on Lansdowne Street, so we ended up biking up and down this 4-lane highway (fortunately with sidewalks and crosswalks).

We found a store shortly after reaching Lansdowne Street (about 4 or 5 blocks from the marina) that could sell us a computer mike for $5.  However Clark was not sure it was a compatible part to the one we needed, so we set off in search of other stores to see what they had to offer.  We had called ahead to one store that turned out to be very hard to find. Finally we found it after about 30 to 40 minutes of biking up and down the highway by going into another store and asking them to look it up on internet for us.   We could not find it due to it being located within the Lansdowne Place Mall and not visible from the road.  After all that hunting for the store, the best they could offer was to sell us a computer microphone for $30.  Comparing the $30 option to the $5 option, Clark decided to go for the $5 computer mike and hope for the best.

When we got back to the store, he actually bought the mike and then took it apart in the store to see if it was going to provide the part he needed to fix the VHF radio.  Success!  It was the perfect size and saved us $25 - more than that if you consider what a new VHF radio would cost.  The one we have is no longer manufactured, so buying a new mike for the old radio is probably not an option.

All told we biked over 4 miles between the search for the microphone part and the search for a new latch for my closet.  Although we were very successful with the mike search, we failed on the latch search.  The boat store did not have what we wanted and the hardware store in town only had non-marine products, i.e. candidates for corrosion.  Ah well, we got the important one fixed as Clark was able to take the mike out of the computer microphone and solder it into the VHF radio as an excellent repair job.  We tested it via the boat intercom with very happy results.

Even though we had biked over 4 miles, Clark was still looking for that kayak ride, so we grabbed a snack and went out to explore -- the water this time.  Getting into and out of my kayak is a major challenge for me.  Our swim platform on the 'big' boat is 90% occupied by the dinghy, and my body is too big for the little piece of remaining real estate.  However, we could not find another option for getting into / out of the kayaks as the docks were all very high.  Somehow I managed to plop myself into my kayak, but I knew getting out would be a serious challenge!

The kayak ride was pleasant but a considerable amount of work.  We started the trip by going against the current to have the easier ride back.  I couldn't even stop paddling for a drink of water or I lost ground due to current, so I had to just keep paddling.  We went under railroad bridges and car bridges and over lots of rocks and boulders we could see in the water below us.  The water was clear enough to look down and see the bottom.

Reflection of railroad bridge in lake

Exploring by kayak 

 A few times while going against the current, I got into shallow sections and became concerned about running aground in my kayak.  I could look down and see the rocks and boulders below me getting closer and closer.  Each time, however, I was successful in finding deeper water.  We traveled against current for over a mile before deciding to turn around and go back.  The water was very rapid next to us, and Clark said get into the current and let it take you.

That sounded like fun until I tried it.  The current caught me and pushed me sideways into a boulder which I ran up on then tipped over sideways.  I squawked "Clark! Help! Help!" Before he was able to turn around and come back, I had managed to maneuver myself off the rock without falling into the water (good kayak!) and try once again to get myself going in the right direction.  Phew!  Yes, I was wearing a life jacket!

As we approached the boat, I asked Clark, "What next?" and he responded that he wanted to go see the fountain.  Getting there was no problem as we were going with the current; however, a boater was out there with a water skier making all sorts of wakes for me to bounce over.  Wheeeee!  Clark took numerous pictures of the fountain, but the ones with the rainbows were the best.


Rainbow over the fountain
 After exploring the fountain and being bounced around, it was finally time to go back to the boat.  Hmmm!  Against current once again I found myself paddling quite hard, and if I stopped paddling, that fountain got closer and closer instead of distancing itself!  Again I couldn't stop for a drink because I'd lose too much ground if I did.

The dreaded 'getting out of the kayak' part came next.  Clark explained that he pulled himself out of the kayak using the boat cleat and recommended I do the same.  That sounded good until I tried it.  From my point of view it was completely backwards, and I knew I'd never be successful.  Before attempting this left-handed method, we had spent several minutes trying to get my kayak turned around, so I could disembark Clark's way (Clark had tied my kayak to the big boat, the current was forcing me into the side of the boat and his tied up kayak, and I had no room to maneuver to turn my boat the required180 degrees.)  With a lot of pulling and splashing I finally got turned around.

After fall that work though I quickly figured out that his way was not an option for me, so I had to turn the boat around again.  This time I told him to untie me and let me turn the boat around without being tethered to the big boat - much better!  However, I was still in the kayak and still needed to exit!!!!  To make this long story a bit shorter, I will say that I did manage to crawl out of the kayak onto the swim platform without going for a swim in the process and without looking too much like a buffoon.

As we were putting away the kayaks, an old wooden boat came into harbor to dock at the marina for the night.  We were told the boat was built c. 1929.  It was a beauty named Tea for Two.  It had a single engine, and with the wind and current, they had a devil of a time getting it docked.  The marina had told them bow in, port tie up.  When all was said and done, several very interesting minutes and multiple docking attempts later, they were tied up stern in, starboard tie up.  The solution the captain used was to get the boat turned around with the current pushing him on the side and let the current push him slowly into the dock.  Cool solution!

Tea for Two Wooden boat c. 1929
 After dinner we were in for a real treat as a free concert was set up in the adjoining park.  We carried over our lawn chairs and sat and listened to a great performance.  It was a nice mix of music.  The band was "tight" meaning together on hitting the notes and the music selection included one of my favorite instruments - the fiddle. Great show by Melissa Payne who is a local artist playing folk pop music.

Walking back to the boat for the night, we noticed that the fountain was glowing in red, green and white coloring.  Spectacular!

Lake Fountain lit for the night
The last agenda item for the day was deciding the next destination.  Looks like we have 7 locks or so tomorrow including the exciting Lift Lock we have been hearing so much about!


No comments:

Post a Comment