Thursday, July 23, 2015

Georgian Bay, Canada: The Bustard Islands to Collins Inlet

Day 35
Travel Time: 4.5 hours
NM today: 31
NM total: 817
Locks today: 0
Locks total: 70

Now that we have almost completed our visit to the Georgian Bay, we believe we have figured out the algorithm for best traveling in this area – up at 7:00, on way by 8:00, off the bay before 11:00.  From 11:00 onwards the winds pick up.  We turned into Collins Inlet just before 11:00 and arrived in our anchorage for tonight just around 12:30.  Shortly after entering the inlet, we could tell the winds had picked up and were very glad we were in a protected area already.  As I sit here several hours later, I marvel at the fact that the boat has been spinning back and forth like a top due to the wind gusts we have experienced all day long.  Thankfully we used the Danforth anchor straight off today and it held on the first go!  Hallelujah!!! 

It took us a while to actually get going from the anchorage this morning as Clark had to pull up the Danforth by hand – no winch – just the old heave-ho!  As soon as he got to the chain, the heaviest part, he ran into trouble because it was covered in mud.  He could not keep a grip on the chain to pull it in.  To my horror he started using the outdoor shower at the bow of the boat.  I knew we had another night of anchoring and did not want an empty water tank, so I quick ran and pulled out a big bucket and smaller bucket, filled the larger one with water, dragged them both up front to him, and told him to stop using the water from the water tank to wash down the anchor line.

He told me his problem with not being able to get a grip on the chain, so I ran back and pulled out a pair of the gloves we used for locking through to see if that would help.  By the time he had the anchor up mud covered everything.  The water from the bucket left black streaks of yuck all down the port walkway.  It was a mess.  He used up the bucket of water I had given him and got a second one to do a quick wash down of the bow and walkway to get off the worst of it.

While he was mucking around with the anchor and line, I was up top manning the helm and doing ‘station keep’ to keep the boat from wandering around the anchorage after the anchor was disengaged.  Eventually Clark told me to turn the boat around to face the exit from the anchorage.  I looked at the collection of rocks and islands in front of me and had no idea which way we had come in yesterday.  I decided I better sit tight and wait for the captain to take the helm.  When he came up, I went down to the bow to do rock-lookout duty.  He waved the chart in my direction and said, “Which way did we come in here?”  Uh-oh!  Neither one of us knew how to get out.  I thought, “This might be fun”!

With me standing just in front of the windows of our cabin and just under the upper helm station, I studied the chart while looking for rocks in front of the boat trying to point out to Clark the way I thought we came in and where I thought we needed to go.  Between what we remembered and what the chart plotter provided as guidance, we soon found our way out of the maze.  Believe me there is a harsh penalty in prop damage if the correct path out is not chosen.

Teepees?  No 3 Lighthouses marking an island.


Rocks Lying in Wait for Distracted Boaters

Sun on Water Behind Us Traveling West on Georgian Bay

The section on Georgian Bay was about five or six nautical miles of open water heading directly into the wind.  We went up and down with the waves, but we did not roll, so no tables were damaged, no books covered the floor, all was good.  The trip through Collins Inlet is a side trip as many boaters go directly to Killarney; however, Clark had heard it was pretty and knew of an anchorage with beautiful sunsets, so he decided we needed to make a visit.  The landscape here is breathtaking.  We noticed that other than a few “lodges” and “hunting camps” not many people seem to live up here.  We passed an Indian Reservation to come in and saw some housing there, but other than that, this is a very remote part of the country. 

On the way to our selected anchorage, we passed through a portion of Mill Lake.  Our Skipper Bob guide book says to look for the profile of the “Crabby Indian” in the rock face shortly after turning into Collins Inlet from the lake.  We found him!  Do you see him too?


Crabby Indian Rock

We found intricate and interesting rock formations in tonight’s anchorage and along the way.  With the sun hitting the colored striations of the rock faces, the effect was particularly striking. 

Rock Formations along Collins Inlet

Today was a lazy day.  Although the woods and terrain look interesting to explore, we have been warned about bears and rattle snakes enough times to make us think twice.  Even though the sun has been shining brightly all day, with the wind howling like a banshee, the idea of taking the kayaks or even the dinghy out seemed very unappealing.  To pass the time today, I read, solved some Sudoku puzzles, and watched the scenery swing back and forth out the windows of the boat. I am amazed that I can do the first two activities while the second is occurring without any dizziness or seasickness.  I am not normally susceptible to seasickness, but the spinning can be very disconcerting unless watching it directly instead of peripherally.   

Every so often as we sat spinning, the anchor alarm went off just to keep Clark on his toes.  Spinning in place should not cause the alarm to sound.  Clark speculates that every time the GPS picks up a different satellite signal, the alarm sounds.  Twice last night, the alarm woke him – once when it lost the DGPS signal and then again when the system found it again about an hour later.  In between he switched to GPS.  I sleep very well on the boat and must tune out the alarm signal, because I sleep through the alarm sounding as well as Clark going to see what needs to be done to address it.  Not my job!

Tonight’s dinner was sadly lacking green vegetables.  However, I did have potatoes, onions, and carrots, so I added some beef to the combo and came up with a beef stew.  I even managed to make dumplings to top it off.  Yummy!  Clark read the guide book regarding our next stop, Killarney, where I hoped to get some provisions.  I do not know what I will find there as the guide book indicates the grocery pickings are slim and expensive.  Apparently, according to the book, a planned stop two nights later might provide a better selection. We shall see!

We came to this anchorage because we had been told about the wonderful sunsets here, so after dinner we watched the sun set and the clouds change colors as the sun reflected up on them. It started out as an ordinary sunset with the exception of one cloud that glowed like it was made of silver, but as the show went on for many minutes, the view changed and eventually became purple clouds streaked with red like someone had taken a highlighter and drawn red lines to outline the edges.  Spectacular!  I have never seen anything like that before.  I made Clark rush out with the camera to try to capture the effect.  Only moments later the red coloring was completely gone and the clouds became silhouettes.  Being north as we are, sunsets last a long time, and we truly enjoyed the show.


Sunset at Collins Inlet

As the sunset faded away, we set our focus on getting ready to watch the stars come out.  I spotted my first “star” as the sun was still going down.  We could not decide which planet we were looking at and with no internet, we couldn’t cheat.  Perhaps Venus was what we saw?!  It rapidly moved across the sky and set behind a bunch of trees and could be seen no more.

To the east was cloud cover, but to the west was clear, so we watched out the front window to see what would appear next.  I expect that what we saw next was a constellation, but my knowledge of constellations is limited with having lived in NJ for so long where NYC obliterates the night sky with lights.  Clark was trying to turn the constellation into the Big Dipper, but I said it looked more like a pitchfork than a dipper, so definitely not Big or Little Dipper. 

The Big Dipper made its appearance a little later with one of the four corners hidden behind a puffy cloud. Even with all those navigation classes Clark took, he could not tell me how to find the North Star by using the Big Dipper to help.  We did not find the Little Dipper.  The moon did not help our cause as it is approaching a half moon, so the sky was fairly well lit. 


If the display of stars had been more spectacular, I would have ventured outside to get a better look.  At one point I even mentioned that I wanted to go out to Clark, and he said he’d never see me again if I did as the mosquitoes would carry me away.  Darn things!  We decided that in a couple of weeks the sky will be darker and the show will be better (hopefully), so we went to bed with the idea in mind to try again another night somewhere further down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment