Sunday, July 26, 2015

Georgian Bay, Canada: Killarney to Covered Portage Cove


Day 37
Travel Time: 1 hour
NM today: 6
NM total: 829
Locks today: 0
Locks total: 70

For me today turned out to be the highlight of the whole trip thus far.   The weather was great and the day was fun.  We had a short travel day again today which was very nice.  As we prepared to depart a seaplane sailed by the end of the dock we were tied to.  Clark quick ran and grabbed the camera.


Seaplane in Killarney, ON


We traveled to Covered Portage Cove as our destination for today.  As I stowed anchors and lines for our departure, a man on the next boat over asked me our destination.  I just stared at him because for the life of me I could not come up with the name of the place.  He could tell I had no clue, so he resorted to pointing – left? Or right?  That I could handle and pointed in response.  “Oh, Little Current”, he said.  “Not today”, I answered, “to an anchorage”.  “But it’s only one and a half hours to Little Current”, he replied.  “I know”, I said, “but we want to see a couple of anchorages first”.  He nodded his head in understanding.

We took “the long way” to get to the cove from Killarney.  Clark expected the chart plotter to highlight the route with a magenta line.  One appeared on his chart that he thought led us to the cove when in fact it took us the other way.  I pointed out that he had missed our turn, and he turned to the proper heading using a wide arc to miss some rocks to our starboard.

It seemed no sooner had we left Killarney than Covered Portage Cove appeared on the charts, and before we knew it we had arrived and started hunting for our spot to drop anchor.  According to the boating guides, Covered Portage can be so busy “that it looks like a marina”, and therefore, can be hard to get into to get a spot.  We targeted our arrival to mid-morning to allow folks from the night before time to leave but to get us there before other boaters who most likely had further to travel.  As it turned out, even though it is Friday, plenty of space presented itself for us to choose from.

In Killarney this weekend there is a Fish Fry Festival of some sort and in Little Current there is a sailboat gathering.  Maybe all the boaters went to one of those two events.  I am very glad we missed the mass chaos of the fish fry at Killarney.  According to the staff at The Sportsmans Inn, the town will be packed and the marinas full.  We plan to arrive in Little Current on Sunday, so hopefully the sailboats will have departed by the time we get there.

While exploring the area to decide where to drop our anchor, we cozied up to a sailboat preparing to depart and asked them about the anchorage.  He said he had been in this cove for 5 days and loved every minute.  He pointed out trail entry points that we might like to explore, so of course, Clark couldn’t wait to get settled and go for a look around.  I looked around and saw rock cliffs and trees.  Then I looked up when I heard voices and I saw people walking around on the cliffs above us.


Hard-to-See People on Clifftop Among Trees


We grabbed a quick lunch so we could go play.  Clark thought the kayaks a better choice for exploring, so we pulled them down.  I do not trust myself not to get wet in a kayak, so I insisted in wearing my water shoes and bringing my sneakers along in a backpack to keep them dry for hiking.  I wish I had my hiking shoes on this trip and that is something that is on my “get when home” list.  Clark took the backpack so I did not have to deal with it as I have enough problems just getting myself into and out of my kayak.

I still find it “no picnic” to get into the dinghy off the swim platform of the boat with the dinghy taking up 90% of the swim platform space, but I am getting better at it.  Still when I got in the kayak today, he rocked in such a severe manner that I thought I might take a dip.  I appreciated the fact that Clark had my walking shoes instead of me all the more.  After a few whoa wobbles, I got stabilized, took my paddle from Clark, and headed out towards the first trail spot.

After the very short ride to shore, we pulled our kayaks up into the weeds and tied them to an old stump.  I changed into my sneakers and we started up the trail.  Although a gradual climb I still found myself struggling to keep up with Clark as he scurried up the trail.  Turned out he was trying to outrun the mosquitoes we disturbed by our presence and leaving me far behind in the process. 

Thankfully the mosquito portion of the hike concluded when we came out into the open, breezy and sunny rock cliffs portion of the trail.  Climbing over the rocks presented numerous challenges in terms of finding footholds that allowed me to ascend to the top of the trail.  The view, however, rewarded our efforts 100-fold.  We were greeted by a truly magnificent view of the cove below us as well as far out over the trees to the bay beyond.  Gorgeous!!!

View of Sea Moss from the Trail at Covered Portage Cove

Rock wall along edge of cove as seen from top of the cliff

Ev and Clark at the clifftop

 When we got back to our kayaks after our thrilling hike, we decided to go to a second trail on the opposite side of the cove.  We no sooner pulled our kayaks up to the start of the trail than swarms of mosquitoes attacked.  Their moto was clearly “take no prisoners” as they came in for the kill.  I killed several on my face, had a multitude buzzing in my ears, and even more chewing on my arms.  My arms swung round and round like a windmill.  I yelled to Clark to come back with the insect repellant we had placed in the backpack, and we sprayed each other with copious amounts of bug spray which seemed to give some relief.

We climbed up the trail and found a sunny, rocky spot with a breeze.  I waited there while Clark did some investigating.  He came back with a report that the view was not worth the time to go further.  That’s all I needed to hear and I was “outta there” and down that trail back to the kayak as fast as I could go without falling head over heels on the way.

I don’t think I have ever changed my shoes that fast before.  Clark kept moving over on the side and was ready to go in a hurry when I told him I was set.  I climbed into the kayak and Clark pushed me off backwards into the water.  I fought my way through the weeds and tree stumps to get out – it seemed much easier coming in, and eventually got myself backed out into the waters. 

I then went on a mosquito hunt as they covered my arms and legs.  One clever guy was down beyond my feet and so I could not reach him to kill him by swatting, so I got handfuls of water and washed him overboard instead.  Clark went paddling by me at lightning speed saying he was blowing away the mosquitoes with the breeze. 

After the bug fest, we enjoyed a relaxing kayak ride through the cove spying on the other boats and checking out the scenery from water level.  I can never stay dry when I kayak as the water runs off the paddles and drips all over me.  Today I did not care in the least as the cool – cold water dripping on me felt great.  Eventually Clark pointed out that 4:00 had arrived and we needed to head back to Sea Moss to “put away our toys”. 

I managed to get myself out of the kayak and back onto Sea Moss without toppling over or tipping the kayak precariously, so I felt proud of myself.  I helped Clark stow the kayaks back on top and decided that I needed a shower.  We have limited water on board so I decided that I could “shower” off the back of the boat.  However, the water temperature measured somewhere between 65 and 67 degrees.  Brrrrrrr!  I could not bring myself to jump into that.

Nevertheless I decided I wanted to wash off the sunscreen, bug spray, dead mosquitoes, and sweat.  I got my soap, shampoo, towels and a bucket and sat myself down on the one square foot of swim platform available and washed from head to toe (wearing my bathing suit) in the frigid water.  I started from the feet up to get used to it as the thought of starting by washing my hair was more than I could handle.  Even though I washed my hair last it still took my breath away when the water hit my head.  I felt great afterwards, however, so it was well worth it. 

Leftover stew for dinner with fresh broccoli (yay for green veggies from Killarney) made up the menu for tonight’s on-board dinner followed by a quick dish wash and dry which left daylight time for blogging (me) and guitar playing (Clark).  Tomorrow another anchorage is targeted.  I hope we have as much fun there as we did here.

No comments:

Post a Comment