Sunday, July 26, 2015

Georgian Bay, Canada: Covered Portage Cove to Baie Fine “The Pool”


Day 38
Travel Time: 3.5 hours
NM today: 27
NM total: 856
Locks today: 0
Locks total: 70

We woke this morning to the rumble of thunder.  Shortly after the rain started.  Clark decided to listen to the Boaters’ Network broadcast at 9:00 before leaving since the weather report indicated the rain would blow over and we would have a clear day if we waited.  By 9:15 the rain had slowed so Clark went upfront to start hauling in the anchor, and I took the helm.  Unlike the anchorage at The Bustard Islands, the course to exit the anchorage at Covered Portage Cove was clear, so as Clark pulled in and cleaned up the anchor, I started us slowly on our way.

The trip from Covered Portage to Baie Fine took longer than I expected.  The fact that Clark followed the magenta line on the chart down a direction we did not plan or want to travel did not help.  When I looked at the GPS coordinates compared to the chart, I asked him where he was going.  We had to make an about face and backtrack only slightly to get back on track.  The magenta line is nice, but when multiple intersect, the pilot must take care to follow the correct line.  I have said it in prior blog entries, all these rocks and islands look alike to us, so it is easy to make a mistake. 

The narrow channel through Baie Fine to The Pool is long and skinny with few to no buoys, so the trip is slow to someone like us who is unfamiliar with where the rocks may be lying in wait. We had deep water all the way into The Pool, but it never hurts to be careful in a new anchorage with rocky terrain.  The Pool is well protected, so protected in fact that no cell phone service (at least not Verizon’s) could penetrate the area.  We have always had some service in other anchorages, poor perhaps, but at least in existence.  Today we had not a single bar of reception and nothing worked – text, voice or data.  That was terribly disappointing as my son had said he would call me today.  Figures!

We got settled rather quickly.  Clark used the CQR anchor today because we read that the bottom was weedy.  The guide books said to let the anchor settle in the weeds before setting it.  We did that and it gripped very well.  Not too long after, however, we noticed that the anchor line was growing a beard rather rapidly.  Many weeds float on the service of the water and become entangled with the line.  The guide book says that we will need someone at the anchor in a dinghy to chop away the weeds as we pull it up.  Sounds like fun – not!

After a late lunch we decided to take the kayaks out and go to explore a trail we read about leading to Topaz Lake.  Clark said we needed to wear our bathing suits so we could swim in Topaz Lake once we got there.  I said, “I hope it’s not 64 degrees!”  He responded, “No, it’s not even 64 here.  I measured the temp and it is 74 here.”  I put my suit on and my hiking shirt and pants over the top.  Once again I insisted on wearing my water shoes for kayaking and putting my sneakers in Clark’s backpack.

Well, it was a very good thing that I had on my swimsuit and water shoes because when I tried to get into the kayak, I overbalanced and whoosh, the kayak was upside down beside me in the water.  I went under water and came up sputtering and trying to catch my breath from the surprise of taking an involuntary swim.  I grabbed hold of the swim platform on the boat with my left hand to keep my arm out of the water in a futile attempt to save my watch.  As of the writing of this blog entry, it is still ticking (it’s a Timex!).

So, now I’m in the water, fully clothed and surprisingly still wearing my hat, sunglasses, and contact lenses; boats all around me; and no way to get out of the water.  My kayak floated on one side of me upside down and I could not figure out how to right it.  Clark’s kayak floated on the other side of me, but I figured if I tried to pull myself into there, I’d flip it on top of me.  Then there sat Sea Moss with my one square foot of swim platform to work with.  Although Clark can pull himself up onto that out of the water, I cannot.  I did not even try as I knew it was hopeless.  In between gasps of breath as I was still reeling from my surprise dip, I said somewhat pathetically to Clark, “I don’t know what to do”. 

The only option to get me out of the water was to launch the dinghy.  To do that I knew I had to get myself and the two kayaks out of the way, so having given my watch to Clark, I had both arms free to tread water and move the kayaks away from the back of the boat with me.  Clark asked if it was clear to let the boat down because he couldn’t see beyond the dinghy, so I told him it was safe.  Finally he got the dinghy down and the swim ladder deployed, and I climbed out of the water sopping wet.

Clark offered me a towel but I just stripped off the hiking shirt and pants since I had the swimsuit on underneath.  He got me some clothes pins and I hung my clothes up to try and went to find new ones. 

With the dinghy in the water, I had the entire swim platform at my disposal to assist with getting in the kayak, so I managed a successful and definitely more graceful embarkation on my second attempt.  One thing about taking the involuntary dip, I felt cool even with the sun beating down.  The dock we needed to reach lay on the far side of The Pool, so we paddled over and found a boat ramp of sorts where we could pull up our kayaks and start our hike.  

We followed the rocky trail to Topaz Lake where we found beautiful quartz stone and a lake with clear blue water. 

Rocky Trail to Topaz Lake from The Pool

Topaz Lake


The trail gave us a hard time without hiking shoes as many stones wobbled, and pine needles, mud, and the uphill climb made the trail slippery.  As we got closer and closer to Topaz Lake, we saw more and more quartz stone laying at our feet.  Walking around and on top of the granite in the area, I thought of kitchen countertops and gravestones depending on what color I saw at the time.  We reached the lake and for the second time today, I went swimming.  I did not plan ahead though and left my water shoes with the kayak, so I had to climb over the stones in the water in bare feet to get out for my swim.

Stones in Topaz Lake to swimming area


I could tell from firsthand experience that the water in Topaz Lake was colder than the water in The Pool.  Even so, it felt refreshing and all too soon from my point of view, Clark was saying it was time to climb out, dry off, and complete our hike.  Clark had read that a spectacular view of The Pool could be seen from the trail we hiked, but we did not see it.  Later we learned that we had to hike much further and higher than we had hiked to get to see it.  Oh well.

The hike back to the kayaks required a steep climb to get up to the trail.  For this part of the hike, I found myself on all fours climbing up the path and holding onto bigger-sized rocks as well as trees to assist so that I didn’t slide back down to the water.  After that the hike back to the boat was basically downhill and we traversed the distance much faster going back than coming.  Funny how it always seems to take longer to cover territory when it is unfamiliar but the return trip appears faster.   Before we knew it we were back at the kayaks and on our way back to Sea Moss.

As we passed a boat name Albin & Co.  the owner asked us how we liked our kayak ride and suggested that if we wanted more fun, we could explore the stream over to the other side of The Pool and see a waterfall.  Clark was all in, so off we went again to explore the stream and waterfall.  The entry to the stream is camouflaged by lily pads such that it looks like a dead end.  Clark thought we had the wrong place, but I remembered she said “lily pads” in her description of the route, so I thought we should keep going.  Sure enough we found the stream weaving through the lily pads and trees all the way to the waterfall.  We had to disembark from the kayaks and walk the last bit, but we got to see the waterfall.

Waterfall on Stream Leading to Lily Pads and The Pool


Since my kayak was in the back, I shoved off first from the waterfall stop and assumed Clark was right behind me, but when I turned to look, he was nowhere to be seen.  I called back to him to see if he was coming and he said yes, so I waited and eventually I saw the tips of his paddle over the weeds and knew he was following.  I proceeded out of the stream back to The Pool where I waited and waited and waited and still no Clark appeared.  I had heard no shouts of dismay, so I concluded that he was taking his time and most likely taking pictures as he came. 

I later learned that the flowering lily pads had attracted his attention, so he captured pictures of the different flowers presented.  The lily pad varieties included those with blue, some with white, and a few with yellow flowers.  I have only ever seen white before so the yellow and blue intrigued me.  Due to the direction of the sun, Clark got this amazing shot of what appears to be silver lily pads but are truly the normal green in ordinary light.


Lily Pads Reflecting the late-day Sun

 We finally got back to Sea Moss around 6:30 to find that the anchor line had grown the anticipated beard of weeds.  Clark paddled over and pulled the weeds off – yanked may be a better word as they were woven around the line and very reluctant to be removed.  Afterwards he felt like another swim, so we pulled the kayaks in and then he jumped in.  Having been swimming twice today already, I decided to forego the third dip and went to prepare dinner. 


We ate dinner relaxing on the fly bridge (the penthouse) while watching the darkness spread across The Pool as the sun set behind the trees.  What a full day today!  I prefer them that way.  Every day on this trip is an adventure waiting to happen.  I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but I hope it does bring phone service as I am not entirely comfortable with being completely cut off from the rest of the world though I know some people pay big money for such seclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment