Friday, July 17, 2015

Georgian Bay, Canada: Echo Bay to Parry Sound

Day 31
Travel Time: 2.5 hours
NM today: 14
NM total: 692
Locks today: 0
Locks total: 70

As predicted it started to rain in the wee hours of the morning, and we woke up to a soggy day.  With no good reason to stay in Echo Bay, we got on our way to our next stop, Parry Sound, around 9:45.  Although we were basically ready to be underway much earlier, it took quite some time to deal with the anchor.  Clark had put a bridle (a Y-shaped arrangements of lines) on the bow with chafe guards to protect the lines last night.  In addition to undoing all this line protection, the anchor itself had to be hauled up by hand.  I told Clark that I needed to take the helm, and he needed anchor duty to deal with the 100 feet of line and the weight of the anchor, so we switched jobs for once. 

When we finally headed out of Echo Bay, the captain posted me at the bow of the boat to be lookout for rocks in the way of a clean escape.  With no markers to show the way in or out of an anchorage, the term “gunk holing” is used meaning that you are on your own and need to feel your way in and out.  I had on full rain gear, but at 61 degrees, it was chilly standing out there with the water dripping from my hat.  Oft times, when doing something mundane, my mind wanders to entertain myself; I never know where it will go.  Today, as I stood there at the bow of the boat looking for rocks, my mind turned to stories of Horatio Hornblower and seaman on lookout duty for hours during the Napoleonic wars and how they must have felt.  I’m almost never bored as my mind takes me off on interesting paths.

At the main channel, the captain said I was relieved of my post so I came in out of the rain.  One thing we have found up here in the land of 30,000 islands is that after a while they all look alike.  We see some have signs up showing the name of the island, but with the bad weather and poor visibility, we were having trouble making sense of the chart compared to the island layout.  At one point we followed a “magenta line” on the chart thinking it was the course we needed to follow.   As we proceeded the water became more and more shallow with the chart showing first 5 feet ahead and then 2 foot ahead.  Yikes!  “Uh, Clark, I think we’re going the wrong way!” 

We had to backtrack to where 5 magenta lines intersected on the chart, sort through the comparison of the chart to the land once more, and try a different route.  Our second choice was much better as it had some 20 feet of water and buoys!  Oh boy!  I had pointed out this specific channel to the captain earlier because it did have buoys and other boat traffic.  Of course I had a good time telling him “I told you so” after the fact.

After a wet, miserable boat ride we arrived at the Parry Island swing bridge, which only opens every hour on the hour, at 20 minutes to 12:00.  I asked the captain, “So what is the clearance on that bridge anyway?” because it looked to me like we might be able to squeeze under if we tried.  The captain was thinking the very same thing, so he went me down below for the boat clearance requirements.  Our sheet said that we need 15’ 3” if everything is folded down except the Bimini top.  Hmmmm!  Clark called the bridge tender who said that the current clearance is 16’4”.  We decided to go for it though we knew it would be a tight fit. 

Clark lowered the two antennas on the boat as well as the radar tower to bring us down to our 15’3” height restriction.  I asked if we had current to push us into the bridge if we decided to bail; Clark said, “No, but we have wind pushing us in instead.”  Great!  Here goes!  We told the bridge tender we were coming through and asked him to let us know if he saw any difficulties as we made our attempt.  I guess he wanted to watch the show because he came out and stood on a ledge where he could see our boat and the bottom of the bridge as we went under. 

We were completely under the bridge when, with a smile on his face, he held up his hand with his fingers showing an inch of space between his thumb and his pointer finger and said, “You’re good”.  Heaven sakes, if we weren’t good by then we would have known before he told us as we would have snagged our Bimini top on the bottom of the bridge.   He went home after work today with a story to tell his friends as I am sure he could not believe that we even tried it, let alone made it.  I love the feeling of exhilaration after successfully pulling off something a little daring like that. 

We cut 20 minutes off our ride in the rain by pulling off the “limbo act” with the bridge, so we pulled into the Big Sound marina at a few minutes after 12:00.  We found Ariel in the slip next to ours with a report that Rock Me Baby and Sno Daz had already arrived.  Shortly after we were settled in place, we saw the boat that had been anchored next to ours at Echo Bay pull into a slip just a few down from ours.  Seems like we all had the same destination in mind. 

Docked at foggy Big Sound Marina in Parry Sound

We plan on leaving tomorrow but Ariel plans to stay for two nights and Rock Me Baby will be here a few days before heading onwards.  Unlike the others we have nothing to hold us here and Clark is excited to try his hand at some more anchorages and “gunk holing”.

Still taking care of business with our South Jersey house, we had some mail to send and we needed some groceries like bread and such.  We found out that it was several blocks to the post office and several kilometers to the grocery store.  We planned on walking in the rain to do our errands, but as we were just about to leave the marina on our way, Bill and Annie from Rock Me Baby pulled up in a rental car and told us to get in and that Bill would drive us to the stores. 

What a treat especially since we planned on going to Canadian Tire in search of a temporary docking cleat like the one we had borrowed in Frying Pan Bay.  Annie and Bill had already been there in search of the same thing and knew that we would be disappointed as they did not stock them.  Darn!  Anyway we did get a few essential groceries and we did post our letter, and we didn’t get soaked in the process.  After Bill brought us back to the marina and we had put away our supplies, Clark and I decided that we wanted to walk into town in spite of the weather. 

An Arts Festival is happening this weekend, and we decided to walk around and see what they had for sale.  On our retirement budget I am trying very hard not to buy unnecessary items, so I looked but did not buy any of the merchandise on display at the fair.  It was basically a craft fair though the quality of what I saw was excellent.  I just didn’t need any of what they were offering.  Even in the rain it is nice to walk about the towns we find along the way so we get a feel for the area.  I would hate to leave tomorrow and not have seen any of the downtown.

Soggy Arts Festival in Parry Sound



We read menus on the way back to the boat, but since we ate out at Henry’s yesterday, we ate dinner on the boat.  We put on a DVD of a comedian we had seen at Middletown Arts Center to entertain us while we ate.  After dinner Clark did travel planning while I worked on my financial bookkeeping records as well as my blog.  For some reason tonight I felt I needed entertainment.  We scanned and found that we got exactly 0 analog and 0 digital TV stations and two hard-rock radio stations from which to choose.  I suggested Clark play his guitar, but he didn’t pick up on that idea, so I went and dug out my mp3 player, so I could listen to music I like instead of stuff that made me want to cover my ears.  All too soon it was time to call it a night in preparation for another boating adventure tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment