Thursday, July 30, 2015

Canada: Little Current to The Benjamin Islands


Day 41
Travel Time:  2.5 hours
NM today: 18
NM total: 897
Locks today: 0
Locks total: 70

It is truly amazing how a day changes depending on location.  This morning we ran around Little
Current doing last minute things before leaving port.  This afternoon we enjoyed the serenity and sports opportunities of a beautiful anchorage.  At the end of the day I simply cannot believe it all occurred in the same day.  This is not the first time I have had trouble getting my head around the differences from site to site and thinking that something that happened in the morning must have occurred on some other day.

Little Current is the home to the Cruiser’s Net network by a man named Roy who broadcasts on VHF Ch. 71 every day in July and August.  His broadcast consists of the weather, some news, some history, and then he provides a relay service to help boaters connect to other boaters.  He has quite a following and large numbers of boaters tune in and announce their presence.  Today, Clark walked over to the room where Roy broadcasts, met Roy and some other boaters who came to the broadcast, and stayed to listen to the report.  While he did that, I walked around town and checked out the various nooks and crannies of the stores in town. 

When he got back to the boat, we went out on our bikes to the two marine stores in town but we didn’t find what we are looking for.  I need a new catch for my clothes closet so the door does not bang back and forth in high seas.  We have not been able to find one in any of the marine stores we have visited here in Canada.  Maybe we’ll be able to find something in the U.S.  Meanwhile when we have rocky waters, I hang my jacket over the door to cushion the slams against the door handle of the nearby door.  A second door catch also broke on this trip but so far I have not noticed it banging around in high seas.  Still it needs to be repaired too as soon as we can find the parts.

We finally pulled away from dock around 11:00 saying au revoir to our friends on Harmony.  Our anchorage for tonight is extremely popular and is referred to as “The Benjamins”.  The Benjamins consist of North Benjamin and South Benjamin Islands and a lovely anchorage in between.  We arrived at the anchorage around 2:30 and were settled in by 3:00 when we decided we should go exploring.  I hoped we would explore by dinghy so I could avoid a confrontation with the kayak, but no such luck, Clark said we were going out in our kayaks.  Oh joy! 

We circumnavigated the anchorage by traveling in a counterclockwise direction.  Some maneuvering was easier than other as in some directions the wind helped and in others it gave opposition to forward motion.  We found lots of little hide-y-holes where boats were anchored in out of the way places.  The rock formations with the mountains in the background and the trees all around made a panoramic view whereby it mattered not at all which direction we looked because beautiful scenery met our eyes in every direction.

Natural boat dock – note the rock bottom can be seen through the water


Rock slope in distance just begging to be climbed

Packed harbor as seen from the top of the slope
(Look closely and you can see me climbing up to meet Clark)

At 4:30 we headed back to the boat.  When we got there, Clark said he felt like going for a swim in the natural pool we had seen during our exploration.   Being hot from the exercise in the kayak I found a swim appealing, so I agreed and changed into my swimsuit.  Only after I came out ready to go did Clark make it clear that we would be using the kayaks to get to the swimming hole.  Ughhh!  Here I was proud of myself for having managed to get in and out today without flipping it over, and now I have to conquer the kayak a second time in the same day!?  Ugh!

I must say that Clark sets the bar much higher for me than I would ever set for myself.  He expects that whatever my issue is I’ll “suck it up” and get on with it.  Due to his high expectations of my capabilities, I have done many things with him that I would never have experienced otherwise including hiking, riding a 10-speed bike, kayaking, and skiing just to name a few.  I grumble and grumble; he ignores me; and I get on with doing whatever it is he expects me to do. 

It is a pattern we have followed for as long as I have known him.  I mostly think about this in sports-type situations, but the same sequence of complaints, expectations, and accomplishments occurs regularly in other aspects of our lives.  Sometimes I wonder how he puts up with my complaining, but we both know that when all is said and done, I’m happy I managed whatever activity he “forced” me into.  I truly think it keeps me younger just trying to keep up with him.

Anyway, to get back to the point, we did go out in the kayaks for a second time today and enjoyed a lovely swim in the natural pool.  Clark has a point-and-click device that reads the temperature. The water temperature by the boat was 67 degrees. The pool was warmer at 72.  The rocks surrounding the pool was 98 degrees – those are some hot rocks!  We had to wear our water shoes out there because the rocks were so slippery we couldn’t climb back out of the water with bare feet because we could not get traction.   Clark took his off because he said he couldn’t swim wearing them and then put them back on when he found he couldn’t get out of the water without them.  

Natural Pool made of stone -
rocks under water look much closer than their actual 6 feet down

Such fun!  The water felt great.  Clark helped me climb out once and then I decided that I wanted to swim more so I went back in for a second time.  Around 5:45 I decided that I was too hungry to stay out at the pool any longer as I needed to start cooking dinner.  So, back in the kayaks we went for the trip back to the boat.  I got a lot of exercise today – first on my bike in town, two times out in kayaks, and a swim thrown in for the heck of it.  I love it!  (The only part of kayaking I dislike is getting into and out of the kayak from the back of Sea Moss.)

After a lovely chat with my younger son on the phone, we watched the sky change colors multiple times as once again we enjoyed an amazing sunset over the water!  Life does not get any better than this!

Sunset at The Benjamins


No comments:

Post a Comment