Monday, July 20, 2015

Georgian Bay, Canada: Unnamed Anchorage to Wright’s Marina, Britt

Day 33
Travel Time: 4 hours
NM today: 31
NM total: 763
Locks today: 0
Locks total: 70

We left our unnamed “Pointing Finger” anchorage around 9:00 and were amused to see a number of small, fast boats all heading in the same general direction and all with young children on board.  Most were driven by women. One boat piloted by a man had four children.  We wondered at the number and the speed if the children were all being taken to school, summer camp, or daycare on the water.  Wherever they were going, with the speed they were traveling, they all appeared to be late.  What a great way to be driven to school in the morning!

When Captain Clark met the owner of St. Tropez, he asked if he recommended for or against Hang Dog Channel.  With twin engines the answer was you’ll be fine if the winds are under 20 knots.  We decided that we would try it.  What fun!  My heart was in my throat as we came out into open water to approach Hang Dog Channel.  The waves were at least four feet, and we were being tossed about like a toy boat in a storm.  The rocks surrounding us on all sides with the exception of the twisty-turny channel added to the thrill of the ride.  I told Clark that I had no need of amusement park roller coasters with the excitement of being on Sea Moss!  Once we rounded the bend, the waves calmed down and Hang Dog was no problem whatsoever.  It was just that entry to the channel that was a hair-raising experience.

We went on from Hang Dog to Port Au Baril Channel to see the Port au Baril Lighthouse as well as the symbolic barrel marking the channel.


Port Au Baril Lighthouse
Port Au Baril Barrel which denotes safe passage thru turbulent waters

After that the boat ride became much more interesting as we came out into open water heading for The Bustards Islands.  The winds had picked up and were hitting us broadside making the boat truly rock and roll.  The trip across open waters was going to be at least 3 hours, and we were taking a pounding.  Everything on the seat next to me fell onto the floor and skidded across to the other side of the boat.  Even something on the floor fell over and spilled its contents all around Clark’s feet as he attempted to control the boat.  I was hanging on for all I was worth. 

We took about an hour of that and then decided that maybe we should find a port for the night and try the rest of the trip to the Bustards on a calmer day.   After cleaning up the fallout on the upper helm, I dreaded to see what I would find down below.  Eventually I found a break in the waves and made a bolt down the stairs to see what kind of a mess awaited me there.  It was ugly!

The water coolers and ice chest were on the floor already for traveling, but they had “walked” across the floor from port to starboard.  All the charts and travel pamphlets we have acquired had fallen off the shelf and scattered across the floor.  The new dining table was wobbling like it was just preparing to go over.  One of the bikes had fallen over but could not go far as it is tethered to the Captain’s wheel of the lower helm.  On top of all that, as I stood in the doorway, the boat started getting hit with the big waves again.  I had to use the handrail across the ceiling to work my way through the debris to the couch where I plopped down, braced myself with my legs, grabbed the table with my left arm and the bicycles with my right and sat there clinging to everything so that it would not cause more damage. 

Our brand new, expensive table top took a couple of solid hits from my laptop sitting on it and now has two dent marks where it must have been whacked pretty hard by the corner of the laptop.  Weep Weep!  At least the table did not topple over as it clearly wanted to do.  It clearly slid across the floor into the couch as there are scratch marks on the floor that were not there before.  Once there it jammed itself up against the couch so hard that it had trouble falling over.  Thank goodness or I’d really be crying!

Our safe haven for the night was Byng Inlet.  As soon as Clark turned the boat towards the inlet, the rolling stopped as the waves were no longer hitting us on the side but on the stern instead.  I waited for a while to make sure we were not going to be hit by a rogue wave and then started the cleanup process.  Once I had everything reasonably back in place and secured, I went back up top with some cheese and crackers which became our lunch for today.

In Britt we found Wright’s Marina and decided since we had not seen a single anchorage to this point, it was worth a stop here overnight to fill our water tanks, take “real” showers, use the WiFi, etc.  We have been in anchorages for the past couple of nights, so it was nice to put my feet on land.  We found out that down the road from here about 2km there is another marina with a food and hardware store.  We did not know until we rode there by bicycle that the food store and the hardware store are one-and-the-same.  It is the kind of store that sells a little of this and a little of that, so it was interesting to snoop around. 

On our way to the food store we stopped at “Ice Cream On The Rocks” to get an ice cream treat.  Since lunch was cheese and crackers, I had vanilla ice cream with home-made peanut butter topping.  I figured that way I could claim I was having my protein.  Besides selling Kawartha ice cream, the “Ice Cream on the Rocks” store had a canoe / kayak launch.  I saw no canoes or kayaks at the store, so they did not appear to rent them.  They just seemed to charge kayak owners a fee to use their property to launch their boats. 

Ev enjoying her peanut butter ice cream


After our bike ride which was uphill with the wind going and downhill against the wind return, I was ready for a shower.  I pulled the laundry out and took it with me as they provide a washer and dryer here.  I figured I could get clean while the laundry was getting clean.  After my shower I sat in a chair on the porch by the laundry room to wait for the dryer.  I was slightly annoyed that every time I opened my Kindle to start reading, it would start to sprinkle rain.  I then moved into the laundry room and it would stop raining.  I’d go back out to sit down, and it would start again.  This pattern continued for the duration of the time I was waiting for the dryer to finish.  The weather was tormenting me on purpose I’m sure as when I was done with the laundry, I saw no more rain for the whole night.

No comments:

Post a Comment