Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Norman’s Cay – Plane Wreckage

Day 272
April 8, 2016
NM Today: 14
NM Total: 4156

We moved to Norman’s Cay anchorage this morning. The original plan took us there by way of Highborne Cay, but upon further consideration we decided to bypass Highborne today and go directly to Norman’s Cay. We traveled the 14 nautical miles at around 7.6 knots. With no need to rush we decided to take our time and give the boat battery more time to recharge itself from our overnight at anchor.

When we entered Norman’s Cay, several boats were there before us. At Allen’s Cay we were the only power boat. At Norman’s Cay we found a mix of sailboats and power boats. Clark dropped his anchor very close to the site of the plane wreckage in this anchorage. The chart shows the anchorage marked with a circle and clearly shows the plane on the chart.

Norman’s Cay Nautical Chart
(click on picture and zoom in for details)


Anchored Near Plane Wreckage

After lunch Clark suggested we go out to explore. I have made a list of things to put in my backpack whenever we take out the dinghy. It came in handy today to just run down the checklist before going exploring. Out first stop included the “ruins” and the “planned marina”.  We beached the dinghy. I climbed out because I had on water shoes and pulled the dinghy in far enough that Clark could step out without getting his shoes wet.

First we wandered up to see the ruins, i.e. old houses that are now dilapidated. From there we walked the beach, climbed up a coral-made wall, and strolled down a road through a construction site.

“The Ruins” at Norman’s Cay

Site of Planned Marina

Planned Cut-Through for Access to New Marina

A Lot of Dirt
has already been moved in preparation for the new marina

For our next stop we decided to go visit the miniature island. This island came complete with one palm tree and one bench beneath it (The bench had seen much better days.)  Here we anchored the dinghy meaning that Clark had to take his shoes and socks off to disembark from the dinghy and walk to the beach. While there, we saw two women come in with their dinghy, drop an anchor, climb out and go shelling.

Conch Shells of all sizes littered the beach here. One of the women talked to Clark and told him that each Conch shell must be inspected to “see if anyone is home”. If the Conch shell is inhabited, it is proper to leave it behind and take only those not in use. I had no desire to take any sea creatures on the boat, so I already planned to leave those with sea life still in them behind.

Mini Island Complete with Palm Tree

Park Bench on "mini" Island

Beach Littered with Conch Shells


Selfie at Palm Tree

Selfie with Anchorage in Background

Some Other Forms of Sea Life

Evelyn "Shelling" on the "mini" Island


Woman (we met while Shelling)
showing us her Sand Dollars and a Sea Quill

Just beyond the miniature island sat a resort consisting of numerous cottages each with a somewhat private beach area and protected dockage (protected from wind and waves). Clark motored in to the docking area where we found very prettily landscaped grounds complete with flowering bushes.


Cabins at Norman's Cay Resort

Resort Dock Area


Resort Landscaping with Pretty Flowering Plants


I thought we had completed today’s tour but found myself in for a surprise. After visiting all the island sights, Clark suggested we should go visit the plane wreckage. We had seen several day boaters during the day come along, drop anchor, and jump off their boats to snorkel and view the wreckage. I found it not at all surprising that Clark wanted to take a look as well.

I did not particularly want to go in the water since it meant getting all salty yet again, but I did not want to miss seeing the plane wreckage, so into the water I went. Even though the plane wreckage sat fairly close to Sea Moss, the current here is strong, so we went by dinghy, dropped our anchor and climbed over the sides into the water for a look-see.

Snorkeling at Plane Wreckage

Plane Wing

Plane Engine Under Water

Plane Fuselage


Getting out of the dinghy proved easy enough. I found climbing back, however, to be a daunting experience. Clark is very nimble, and I knew he would have no problem getting in or out of the dinghy. I am about as nimble as an elephant and just about as graceful as one as well.

We had anchored where the water was shallow enough to stand to assist my getting back into the dinghy when the time came to leave. When we were done exploring, Clark found me the shallowest spot near the dinghy in which to stand to give me as much height as possible. He swam around to the far side of the dinghy to hold it steady just in case I had enough leverage to flip the whole thing over on top of myself.

When ready I basically threw myself up onto the side of the dinghy and found myself neither in nor out but hanging on while teetering precariously on the edge. It did not help that the dinghy had a variety of obstacles, e.g. the fuel tank / gas can and anchor, that I did not want to fall on.  In order to proceed, I needed to move my hand to get a better grip but thought I might land flat on my face if I tried it, so I asked Clark to put his hand on my right shoulder to hold me up while I moved my hand.

I am not quite sure how I accomplished it, but somehow I managed to land sitting in the bottom of the dinghy with my head hanging over one side and my feet hanging over the other. Now all I could do was laugh as I thought I might be stuck that way. I told Clark I could not get a grip on anything because I was too slippery whereby he proceeded to make all sorts of jokes at my expense about what a slippery person I am.  With a lot of wiggling I managed to get myself fully in the dinghy and then into the bow of the boat.

Going out in the dinghy and swimming in the anchorages are a lot of fun but a lot of work as well. Just the prep and cleanup of the dinghy takes Clark a considerable amount of time each time he deploys it. When we go swimming, all the clothes, towels, and snorkel equipment must be rinsed in fresh water and then put out to dry. We are both very busy after an outing cleaning up the mess we made having fun.

After finally getting everything in order, I set to and made dinner. Unfortunately some of my food is stored in a less-than-handy storage area. To get one jar of spaghetti sauce for dinner, we had to move two bicycles, 2 water coolers, and an ice chest. Then we had to open up a compartment in the floor where we store our food. I held the floor hatch opening while Clark stuck his head in to pull out the sauce. Since he had his head down there, I had him pull out a couple of other things as well. Once we had secured our spaghetti sauce, all the items we moved to get access had to go back. Sadly we did this same exercise twice today as I did not plan to make spaghetti for supper earlier in the day. I just decided that is what I felt like when it came time to cook dinner.

The generator had to be run again tonight to recharge the boat battery. I used my electric appliances to cook which worked well but left the cabin a little steamy.  Clark suggested we eat up on the fly bridge which sounded like a wonderful idea to me. He carried all the plates, forks, and other paraphernalia up top. All I needed to do was sit down to eat and feel the cool breeze.

After dinner Clark managed to get some beautiful sunset pictures.

Sunset at Norman’s Cay

Sunset Reflected in Sliding Door of Sea Moss

Sunset at Norman’s Cay
(taken with cell phone camera)






No comments:

Post a Comment