Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Bahamas – Abacos: Turtles


Day 290
April 26, 2016
NM Today: 26

NM Total: 4463

Whatever bug I picked up here in the Bahamas was a real doozy! I was down for the count and not expecting to get up any time soon. Even though I was very ill, Clark wanted to make progress on our way towards Florida. Since I figured I could sleep underway as well as in port, I said “Let’s go!”

I slept and slept and slept. We stopped at Crab Cay first so that Clark could go see the turtles that David on Five Flip Flops told him about.  He asked if I wanted to come and I told him “No, just bring back pictures.”  After helping him lower the dinghy, I went back to bed.

Well taking pictures turned out to easier said than done as the turtles stay under water as much as possible and don’t pose for pictures. Clark had to weave his way back into the mangroves to find the place where the turtles like to hang out. Then he had to try to get them on film. He decided to take some videos as his best attempt to capture the moment. Based on the ones I watched he spent a lot of time chasing turtles with the dinghy. Too bad I couldn't be there to watch the antics real time!


For those who can't watch the video, here's a still shot.

A Turtle finally put his head up for Clark's camera

I heard Clark returning from his turtle excursion, so I got up from bed to help him pull up the dinghy. Before heading to our final stop for the day, we ate lunch at Crab Cay. Clark made his own, so I would not share any germs with him. The last thing we need is the captain sick with whatever dreadful bug got me!

Crab Cay Anchorage
Then we pulled up anchor and headed to Allans Pensacola Cay for the night.  At this anchorage as with some others, we heard the conch blowing signaling sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment