Saturday, March 25, 2017

Historic Georgetown, SC

3/25/2017

The sun hid behind cloudy skies for a good portion of the day today. When we left the boat at 9:00 this morning to run some errands, I captured a picture of the sky over the boats anchored next to the marina.


Cloudy Skies in Georgetown, SC


Because we have to move our car northward as well as our boat, we visited Enterprise Rental Cars early to pick up our reserved car. When we got there, however, they told us that they had no cars! We left there with a promise that they would call us when a car became available. We had other errands to run, so we went first to the post office to mail a letter and then back to the plaza where Enterprise is located to visit the Food Lion food store next door.

As we walked towards the food store, I told Clark that I was uncomfortable with the "we'll call you" arrangement due to the number of people that appeared in line behind us also planning to rent cars. I figured that a person standing there had a better chance at a car than one waiting on a phone call.  Clark went to tell the man at Enterprise that we were shopping right next door to let him know we were immediately available for car pickup, and I went into Food Lion to do my shopping. While there, I got a text message from Clark to say he got a car. Phew!

We completed our food shopping and then headed back to the boat. Since it was a Saturday and I saw online that Georgetown has a farmer's market every Saturday, we walked up to the main street to look for it. We found no sign of a farmer's market at the specified location. I stopped one of the locals and asked her, and she said it normally took place right where we were standing. Oh well. I got what I needed at Food Lion anyway so no big deal.

Walking back to the boat, Clark stopped to snap a picture.

Mallard Ducks enjoying the marina waters


After lunch, my next task of the day was laundry. I took my laundry and my Kindle up to the building and sat on the porch and read for a big chunk of the afternoon while my laundry washed and dried. I never enjoyed doing my laundry more. The weather was pleasant and the rocking chair on the porch comfortable. A vending machine on the porch indicated that I could buy either a bottle of water or a soda for 75 cents, so I bought myself a diet Coke. I don't remember the last time I had a soda, and I also don't remember when I last bought one for only 75 cents!

Just as I was folding the last of my clothes, Clark texted me to say we had visitors coming to the boat - new loopers, Judy and Marshall, who will be traveling the loop on Let's Go! We spent the rest of the day getting to know these two wonderful people. I hope very much that our paths cross again. Perhaps we can meet up as they travel through the New Jersey area.

Clark very diligently took the sunset pictures of the day (PoDs). He used both his cell phone and our Canon camera. I could not decide which I liked better, so two sunset pictures made it into today's blog update for comparison purposes.

Georgetown, SC sunset (taken with Samsung cell phone)

Georgetown, SC sunset (taken with Canon camera)

No comments:

Post a Comment