Thursday, March 16, 2017

Cocoa to Daytona Beach, FL

3/15/2017

We tried to get a reservation at New Smyrna where we stayed last time we passed this way, but none of the marinas there could not accommodate us. Instead, we decided to head to Halifax Harbor Marina in Daytona Beach.

Twenty-two knot wind gusts rocked Sunset Delight in her slip. She strained and pulled tightly against her lines. I could tell leaving the slip would not be an easy feat. When I walked up to the marina restrooms, I passed one of the staff and requested assistance when we were ready to leave. He looked at our boat and had one question. "Do you have a bow thruster?" "Yes, and a stern thruster too", I replied. "Okay then, no problem!" he said as I continued on my way.

On my way, I also saw Don and Jean from Time Out who stood on the docks debating the sanity of leaving on such a windy day. When asked, I said we still planned to leave. From what I saw, getting out of the slip would be problematic, but once out, it would be similar conditions to the day before.

When it came time to leave, I told Clark to call on the VHF radio to get marina help, and for once, he listened to me. They said they would send two of their best right over to assist. With Clark at the helm, me on the bow line, one staff at midships, and the other on the stern line, our departure was smooth and quick. Bow and stern lines were released together, and the mid-ships line was used to "walk us out of the slip".

As we pulled away, the folks from Time Out yelled to us that they decided not to go due to the wind. A wise captain knows his / her comfort level and does not push it. Besides the further north we go, the colder it gets! Those 22 knot winds really bring on the wind chill factor!

We heard some familiar boat names on the VHF radio shortly after leaving the marina such as Salty Peanut, Victorious, and Gone Walkabout. Although we have not met any of these boaters, it felt like we were traveling together.

Along the way we passed through an open railroad bridge. After we reached the other side, Clark looked at me and said, "A missed railroad bridge picture opportunity." "Go Back!", I said, and so he did. He spun a circle right then and there and turned around to go back through the bridge.

Open Railroad Bridge

The coveted bridge picture.
(It took three shots to get what he wanted.)

After he came back to the helm all smiles, I reminded him we were now going the wrong way on the ICW, and he spun the boat around to continue on our way to Daytona Beach.

At one point along the way, we had to take a west-to-east "cut" to continue along the ICW in our northerly direction. Under construction, the passage through the Haulover Canal Bridge was a tight squeeze. Only one side opened, and we had on-coming traffic. Since we traveled against the current, we waited for the other boat to pass through and then took our turn.

Haulover Canal Bridge

We noticed a serious change in the wind conditions passing through the cut, i.e. it mostly stopped blowing due to the protection on either side of the canal. Still, bundled up with multiple layers of clothes, hats, scarves, and gloves, we were surprised to see someone fishing in shorts.


Too cold for shorts for me but not for the fisherman!

He was not alone in his pursuit of fun along the calm waters of the canal. The line of rocks and trees offered protection from the wind and waves to several folks out enjoying some kayak time.


Colorful kayaks on the cut over on the ICW

The same rocks that gave us a calm ride through the cut looked ominous when exiting the canal.


One brave soul fishing beyond the protection of the trees and rock walls.

We had rocks on both sides of us as we exited the canal.


Birds taking advantage of the rocks to fish for their dinners.

Continuing northward, we passed the Ponce De Leon inlet.



Ponce de Leon Inlet to ICW


Lighthouse along the ICW

We later passed some colorful buildings...



And an interesting fishing boat.

Calico Jack Fishign Rig

After all day on the water in frigid conditions, I was overjoyed to see Daytona Beach and our stop for the night coming into view.


Coming into Daytona Beach, Florida

Clark liked the crossed cranes in the background.
Bridge construction underway.



We arrived after 5:00 in the evening. By the time we tied up, registered, and got settled in, all the shops in town had closed for the day. Even so, we decided to take a walk through the area to have a look around.

The first view of the area we experienced was that of looking back on the marina as we exited for our walk.


Masts everywhere!


Walking towards the shops and restaurants ...

Daytona Beach welcomes bikers

and here they are coming down the street towards us!

The street crossings are among the prettiest I have ever seen.

Street crosswalk

Tic Toc Clock Shop


Historic Kress Building



History Museum

In contrast to the facades of the old buildings lining the street, the view across the way is quite stunning.

Modern-day bridge

Zoomed in view of bridge

Since we were rapidly losing daylight and we planned to eat on the boat, we headed back to the marina. Along the way we passed the Jackie Robinson Ballpark. We could see it was a stadium well before we got close enough to know what kind.


Stadium in Daytona Beach, Florida

As opposed to retracing our steps down the street, we found a scenic trail to walk called "The Sweetheart Trail".

The Sweetheart Trail in Daytona Beach, Florida

Pond by trail reflecting the trees

Footbridge along trail's edge

Placard showing history of the area on The Sweetheart Trail

As we approached the marina, Clark spied the sunset picture of the day and ran over to capture the shot.

Sunset "Picture of the Day" POD

After our tour, we returned to the boat for dinner. Being two days behind on blog, I wanted to get to work on my entries as soon as we finished; however, the internet, or lack thereof, caused me no end of misery. Instead of sitting down to make my updates, I spent two hours working with Clark trying to figure out why I could not get a usable WiFi signal. By the time I completed just one blog entry, the Late Show with Colbert had completed, and I was off to bed in disgust.

Earlier in the evening Clark turned on the heat in the salon. Although I told him it was cold in the staterooms, he did not turn on the heat down there. When I retired to bed, I felt like I had entered a refrigeration unit. The word cold does not do the setting justice. I cranked up the electric blanket to "9" while I got ready for bed. Even my bed clothes felt like ice. Brrrr! I stuffed them under the electric blanket to warm up while I brushed my teeth. By the time I was ready to climb into bed, the electric blanket had done its job, my pajamas felt warmer, and I could snuggle in with only my nose exposed to feel frosty.

Shortly afterwards, Clark came down to tell me about the space launch scheduled for around 1:30 a.m. Noting the frigid temperatures, he turned on the heat in the stateroom. I just wish he had done that about thirty minutes earlier though I would still have cranked up the electric blanket to warm the sheets and my clothes.

Clark said he saw no point in going to bed and getting up an hour later, so he stayed up in anticipation of viewing the launch from the boat. Standing outside in the 30-something degree temperatures, he followed the launch online as he watched a ball of fire travel through the sky. The launch took place around 2:00 a.m. I was fast asleep! He, on the other hand, was busy taking pictures and recording a video of the event.


Exciting View of Space Launch
Taken on Clark's Birthday 3/16/2017


No comments:

Post a Comment