Saturday, September 26, 2015

Missouri: Alton, IL to Kimmswick, MO

Day: 90
NM Today: 37
NM Total: 1833
Locks Today: 2
Locks Total: 80

Because we wanted to lock through with Kat in the Hatt, we left Alton at 7:30 to head for the Mel Price Lock.  I have seen sunrise on this trip more times than I have during the rest of my life.  Their beauty is the best part of getting up so early. 

The trip to the lock from the Alton marina was very short and because Kat in the Hatt called ahead, the wait at the lock was short.  As we approached the lock, I saw a very long barge that had just exited the lock.  In one of the Illinois River locks, the barge would have been broken down into two parts to lock through.  The Mel Price lock on the Mississippi is large enough to take the barge as is.  As a little pleasure boat we felt very small in such a large lock.   Two other boats and a small-sized barge locked through with us, and there was still room for more.




Mel Price Lock


Bollard used to secure boat to lock wall -
it floats up / down inside the wall and we go along for the ride

Several miles downriver, on the path to our destination for the day, we saw the point where the Missouri River and the Mississippi River come together.

Missouri River Mississippi River Confluence


Shortly after the confluence of the two rivers we entered the canal bypassing a section of the Mississippi.  The difference in scenery from non-canal to canal was immediately apparent. 

Canal view

At the end of the canal we passed through the “Chain of Rocks” Lock and back into the Mississippi River proper.  You know you are on the Mississippi when …

Riverboat on the Mississippi

With heavy barge traffic, debris in the water, and turbulence stirring the river, Clark and I took turns driving the boat and taking pictures.  I got my shots on my phone camera for Facebook and then took over the helm, so Clark could get busy with the blog camera.

St Louis, Missouri - Arch

The 3 to 4 knot current downriver helped us arrive at Kimmswick, Missouri by 12:30.  At one point I looked at the boat’s “Speed Over Ground” on the display unit and saw 12 knots.  Only about 7.6 knots of that speed was due to our power, the rest was current.

The marina at Kimmswick is called Hoppies and has been in business on the river since the early 1930s.  Every day at this time of year, a number of looper boats line up along the barges that comprise Hoppies marina.  Our boat is tied to a barge towards the end, so our walk to the off ramp takes us across multiple barges with some of the most hazardous terrain imaginable.  Carpets are draped over the connections between barges to facilitate walking and the driving of golf carts over the barge connections.  Hoses and electric cables litter the barges.   In the middle of it all is a phone booth, a coffee table, and a collection of chairs.

"Hoppies" Conference Room

Upon arrival at the marina, I asked Fern about restroom facilities, and she directed me to the back of a shed.  After walking the length of the barges to the ramp and climbing up the steep driveway, I found the shed and a metal bar propped against the door to keep the door closed.  I moved the metal bar, opened the door, and peered inside only to see a collection of marina equipment.  I decided that I must be in the wrong place, so I closed the door, put the metal rod support back in place, and walked around the lot looking for the restroom.  

Not a sole appeared as I walked so I could not ask for further clarification.   It did not take long, however, for me to decide that I must have been right the first time, so I bravely went back to the shed, removed the metal rod, opened the door and walked in.  This time, since I had actually walked into the shed, I could see a small white room off in the far right corner.  As I made my way across the shed, I saw the commode and sink hiding back there.    

The proprietress, Fern, gives a daily readout of what to expect on the remainder of the Mississippi and the Ohio Rivers.  She told us that her council meeting would be held at 4:00, so because we had time before the get together, Clark and I headed into town for lunch and a look around. 

First we ate at The Blue Owl and had a great meal.  They only serve breakfast and lunch, but the food was excellent.  The strawberry salad with candied almonds and poppy-seed dressing that I ate was fabulous.  Clark had his heart set on a slice of their strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert but left disappointed because they sold out earlier in the day.  I was already full from lunch and I should not have indulged, but when I saw “root beer float” as one of the ice cream choices at the sweet shop next door, I had to have it.  Surprisingly, it tasted just like a root beer float in an ice cream cone.

Over the past couple of weeks I heard several times that Kimmswick was a cute / nice little town.  It came as a big surprise that it was a town capitalizing on its preserved history to bring in tourists from all over the world.  The town population in 2010 was 157 people according to Wikipedia.  It looked to me like every one of them had a gift shop open for business.  On each street corner stood a sign listing the shops and businesses in each direction.

As we strolled past the shops we found many buildings from times past in a variety of architectures.  The ones shown below were among the oldest we found.

“Kimmswick  c. 1876”



 On one street corner we found some interesting workmanship in the form of a carved tree trunk showing a woman brewing apple butter, a product for which Kimmswick is famous.  Every year they have an apple butter festival in town. 

Apple Butter Tree Carving

Even though it is still September, everywhere we looked we saw Halloween decorations.  It would appear that everyone in town gets into the spirit and decorates for the seasons.  For a town interested in tourism, it made a nice touch.

To make our 4:00 appointment with Fern to hear about the river, we headed back to the boat around 3:30.   On our way back we passed by the Anheuser Memorial Estate (Anheuser Busch) and, although we didn’t see Clydesdales, we did see horses on the estate.

Anheuser Memorial Estate

Fern’s meeting started somewhere around 4:30 with representatives from multiple looper boats in attendance.  We said hello to some familiar faces and met some new loopers whom we had not seen previously.  Clark and I took copious notes as Fern gave her readout.

Fern (in black) holding her meeting

After the readout we sat and talked to the other loopers until almost dark which translates into 7:00 p.m. here in the Central time zone.  At that time the “party” broke up so that we could go back to our boats and find dinner before full dark.  All the shops and restaurants in the town closed by 4:00 so dinner on board was the only option available.  Since we had a large amount of food to eat at lunchtime, I kept it simple for dinner and we had hot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment