Monday, September 14, 2015

Illinois: Lower Henry Anchorage to Peoria Town Dock


Day: 82
Travel Time: 3.5 hours
NM Today: 27
NM Total: 1640
Locks today: 0
Locks Total: 76

Most loopers stop at IVY, Illinois Valley Yacht club, in Peoria, Illinois, but through talking with locals, Clark learned that local boaters stay at the Peoria town dock for free, so he decided that would be today’s destination.  As agreed the night before, we left at 8:00 and traveled down river with Fryedaze.

Along the river we see a variety of birds – hawks, eagles, sea gulls, and herons.  Today, off in the distance we saw a huge flock of white birds, but we could not tell the species from the distance.  Finally we got close enough to one of the birds.  Clark asked if it was a swan since it was very large and white.  When I looked closely, I said, “No, I can’t believe I’m seeing it, but that is a pelican”.  Of course I grabbed my phone and checked out pelicans in Wikipedia.  Apparently they travel in huge flocks.  As we traveled downstream in the Chillicothe area, we saw numerous, large flocks of pelicans.

Flock of Pelicans on Illinois River
(only part of the flock is shown in the picture)

Traveling downstream, we passed through Upper Peoria Lake which was quite choppy due to strong winds.  Clark mentioned that if we were still in Michigan, it would have been a “no go” type of day.  Shortly thereafter, we waved farewell to Fryedaze who are staying at IVY for the night.  We agreed to touch base in the morning regarding departure time as they will pass by us on their way to Peoria Lock, and we can lock through together and continue our coordinated travels.  We can call the lock from here to find out if we should start on our way or hang out for a bit before leaving.

We found the Peoria town docks shortly after the Interstate 74 bridge.  Immediately I noticed a lot of road noise from the trucks “overhead”.  With the salon door closed, however, it is hardly noticeable inside the boat.   Docking was interesting as most docks here are designed for a boat less than 28 feet long.  We measure 39’ bow-to-stern.  Luckily there are a few designated spots for larger vessels such as ours. 

We saw the boxes indicating power availability along one long dock, so we headed for that dock.  I was still prepping my fenders and lines when a strong wind pushed us over to the dock in a big hurry.  I barely got my last fender down on the starboard side before we hit the dock.  I figured the fender was more important than the lines as the wind would hold us fast until we got lines tied.  After we landed, Clark jumped off the boat ready to help with lines, but when I looked around, I said, “What do we tie to?”  No cleats or rings or any other hardware presented itself. 

I looked around some more and saw that another dock for larger boats did have hardware and pointed that out to Clark.  With the change of venue, I had to move all my lines and fenders from starboard to port.  As I worked that out, Clark rotated the boat to position the bow into the wind.  I was never so thankful to have taken boating classes than I was today docking the boat while fighting the wind.  Clark took multiple passes by the dock to get us in close enough.  As soon as it got within my reach, I used the boat hook to get a line around a dock cleat and tied at mid-ships.  Once I got a wrap on the cleat I yelled, “I have a mid!” whereby Clark ran down to help with getting on a stern and bow line.  In the pre-class days I would have tried to “lasso” the cleat by heaving the line at it.  Eventually the lasso approach succeeds, but it usually takes multiple frustrating tries to get a hit especially fighting the wind which typically blows the line in the wrong direction.

After getting the boat secured, Clark went to check out the “marina rules” and talk to folks about staying overnight when the posted signs clearly state it is not allowed.  I made lunch while he was gone, and then I ate lunch while he was gone.  I started wondering where he had gotten to when he finally showed up back at the boat with “the scoop”.  As before, he was told by locals to ignore the signs and not feed the meters at the pay stations since they do not work.  Once we were both done with lunch, we went exploring Peoria.

The one thing I had seen that caught my eye as of interest in Peoria is the Caterpillar Visitor Center.  Apparently that caught Clark’s eye as well since we both made straight for that destination.  Caterpillar has a multiple-building complex plus a multi-level parking garage for its Peoria employees.  The tour showing Caterpillar products is in a stand-alone building.  We found the display educational and fun with videos and hands-on simulations.  

I tried my hand at simulated ditch-digging to fill in a pipe-filled ditch.  I failed miserably the first time as I only managed to lift the equipment up in the air (the cab - not the bucket) and move no dirt whatsoever.  After listening to the instructions twice more, I still only succeeded in moving no more than a few spoonfuls of dirt at a time when the simulation told me to let someone else have a turn.  I wanted to stay for more playing!


Caterpillar complex

Clark standing next to tire of a mining truck built by Caterpillar
Each tire weighs several thousand tons

I decided to try driving a much smaller Cat

Here I am using the simulator to fill the ditch - fail!


After spending an hour at the Caterpillar exhibits, we decided that we should at least try to see more of Peoria.  For some place to use as a destination, we decided to walk to a food market that showed up when we looked in Google Maps.  What we saw from the bridge looked quite nice.

View of Peoria taken from bridge over highway

However, as soon as we crossed over the bridge to get to the store, I started to get a bad feeling.  Less than a half a block later, I told Clark that we were not in the good part of town.  We made an about face and walked back over that bridge fast. 

Since groceries were not essential, we abandoned the food agenda item completely.  Instead of going directly back to the boat Clark took me to an ice cream store for a refreshing treat.  On his earlier explorations, he found an ice cream store selling hard ice cream.  In my blog a couple of days ago, I mentioned that he passed on the soft serve.  After a quick sampling test, he got a “single serve” waffle cone with both vanilla ice cream and raspberry sorbet.  I got a strawberry / raspberry / orange juice smoothie made from 100% real fruit.  We were both very happy!


After our treat, I suggested we come back to the boat to relax.  I worked on the blog, and he did travel planning and read the Wall Street Journal on his iPad to find out what is new in the world.  It seems so easy to forget the rest of the world exists as we float downstream.  Every once in a while we need to look up and see what is happening elsewhere.  Watching television for the news has proven to be challenging as many places we get zero view-able stations.  Certainly we had zero in our anchorage last night but also zero in the Ottawa marina since we could not be bothered to plug into their cable connection.  Perhaps Peoria has digital television stations?!

No comments:

Post a Comment