Saturday, July 28, 2012

Roues Point NY

Rues Point, NY:  We passed a very pleasant night at Gaines Marina.  We walked up to a restaurant called Angelo's and I got the pizza I have been craving for the past couple of weeks.  After the hamburger I had in Kingston that tasted like spicy meatloaf, I was afraid to order a pizza for fear of what I might get.  I'm not much into gourmet pizza - I wanted the traditional red sauce cheese on top kind of pizza, and I was able to satisfy my "needs" at Angelo's.  On the never-ending search for sugar-free ice cream for dessert, we stopped into a Stewart's convenience store.  Amazingly I found a pint of vanilla - no sugar added and reduced fat.  I wondered if it would have any flavor but the ingredients at least were all things I could pronounce, so I bought some.  I mixed that with some chunky peanut butter I had on the boat when I got back and had a heavenly peanut butter ice cream dessert, and the best thing is I can even do it again because I hardly made a dent in the pint container.

I woke this morning to the humming of a mosquito in my ear around 6:00 a.m. or so.  Annoying bugger!  However, looking on the bright side as I generally try to do, I got to see the sunrise which I haven't seen in a very long time and it was rather pretty - like a beautiful sunset in reverse!  The trek to the marina restroom was a very long walk somewhat comparable to the hike into town when we stayed in Westport.  Making that first run in the morning can feel like it takes forever.  The facilities at Gaines are very nice - just a long distance from the end of E dock.  We're out here with the sailboats so I think it is the depth that puts us out in the far reaches of the marina.  We require 3'8" which is quite a bit of water compared to other non-sailboat boats.

I remembered a funny story from the U.S. customs.  As we were taking care of paperwork, a vessel pulled up to the docks to check in.  The custom's agent we were chatting with stopped mid sentence and said "what is that thing?"  My captain said he had been following it for several miles and it was a pontoon boat with only the port engine working.  Apparently it occasionally went sideways and had to compensate.  It looked like some kind of motor home on a raft but very large.  When we walked back to our boat, I heard another custom's agent who was helping to tie its lines say, "well it has an engine and it floats, so I'm going to call it a boat".  I had to laugh!

The captain is anxious to get underway, so I'll pause here for the next entry which is to be Burlington, VT.  We saw our old friends from the Erie Canal here at Gaines Marina.  They were about 3 days ahead of us but ended up staying here for 3 days.  They heard that severe storms were predicted for Thursday with potential for tornados, so they stayed put and then the water pump on their boat malfunctioned so they stayed a couple more days for repairs.  Their next stop is Westport and we are going to Burlington first so we a separated again, but who knows we may see them somewhere along the way before we part ways on the Hudson as they head off to CT and we to NJ.   We're also looking for Morning Star who is following our same route on their way back to FL.  It's fun to meet up with folks repeatedly along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment