Thursday, February 16, 2017

St. Valentine's Day

2/14/2017 – St. Valentine’s Day

First thing today, Clark and I drove down to the local canvas-repair shop to buy some material to patch the dinghy cover. When we got to the store, we saw their posted business hours and groaned. They only opened to the public on Monday’s and Friday’s. Hmm – today was Tuesday, so we were out of luck.

I noticed the shop's truck in the parking lot, so I tried calling in hopes they were inside before we left, but I got no answer. Google showed another shop option, so I got on the phone and called the next place a couple of miles down the road and found out they were open.  As we got into our car to drive away, the driver of the van came out and got in his truck. Clark ran over and talked to him, and the next thing I know we are in his shop paying for a yard of fabric and some matching thread. What perfect timing!

When we got back to the boat, Clark immediately ran off to look at his raw water pump that we had rebuilt while in Fort Myers. Clark had noticed a leakage problem, so he was very anxious to take a look at the seal to see what needed to be done to address the problem.  While he looked into that, I texted my boater friend, who said she would help me with the canvas work, to let her know I had the materials.

She and her husband came over with her supplies to help me patch two holes caused by chafing on the rough edges of the boat. I had patched a small hole recently but without matching fabric, it looked unsightly. Now we had another hole caused by a sharp VHF antenna. My friend has experience working with canvas, so she was a godsend in helping me make the job look professional and not slipshod.

Clark found his raw water pump leak to be a quick fix, so when our friends came over, he spent his time chatting with my friend's husband about boats while my friend and I put our heads together to patch the canvas. The hole where the antenna had rubbed through needed serious attention. I could tell that just sewing up the hole would leave it vulnerable to wearing through again in short order.

One of the items I planned to buy at the canvas shop was strong fabric as backing for the repair. In the “excitement” of them opening up just for us and the rush to be done with the purchase, I forgot to buy that material. I decided to search the boat for options. Pickings were extremely slim as I needed something substantial. Finally, I found an old canvas bag with a logo and 1999 stamped on the bag and decided I might need to sacrifice the bag to do the job.

I got in trouble recently for making a unilateral decision on something that I deemed garbage and threw away. It certainly appeared to be useless junk to me, but Clark was not pleased with my actions. I figured he should know that I planned to sacrifice the bag for the dinghy-cover cause. Not surprisingly, he said, “Ahhhh, I like that bag!” I knew I was in trouble.

The four of us looked at the damage to the canvas, talked about doubling up with the new canvas patch to cover the hole, but ultimately decided that the strong fabric from the bag would be the right choice for the repair. We arrived at a compromise. Clark said he did not use the pocket on the front and suggested I use just the pocket material. Fortunately, it was a reasonably-sized pocket, so that became our solution. The bag is still intact but now sans pocket. Anyone looking at the underside of the dinghy cover will see the emblem from the bag proudly touting the 1999 date.

After our friends packed up and left, Clark and I sat down to lunch. While we ate, someone knocked on the boat with a delivery of three packages. Clark jumped for joy and I groaned. He had parts for something he could repair, and my St. Valentine’s Day just got shot to heck. Even though we did not plan on going out for an expensive meal with huge crowds today, I had hoped for something more special that boat repairs.

As expected, one package did include parts specifically those required for the sink repair that Clark has had hanging over his head for several days now. He quickly dove under the sink and started working on the fix. Many hours later, he came out and announced that although the part that arrived today worked, the part we bought earlier in the week at Home Depot did not fit. The sink could not be repaired with the available parts!

Trying to salvage some part of Valentine’s Day, I asked Clark if he would take our bikes and get air in the tires. Our bikes are unique in that the recommended tire pressure is over 90 psi. Pumping with our hand pump, we are lucky if we can get it up to 30 or 40 psi. The manufacturer strongly admonishes against riding with the tires under-inflated. Since I have not been able to ride my bike, I hoped to get air and open up that option for exercise and entertainment. Clearly, having a car on this trip has made us a bit lazy.

Clark agreed to my request and packed the bikes into the back of the car so we could get air in them.  We had other shopping to do, so we did that first. Since we have to travel Route 1 here and traffic is awful, we stopped at places on the eastbound side first and then westbound coming back. That put the bikes last in queue.

We passed one gas station where they had an air machine that took quarters. Clark hates them with a passion.  He decided to go to the motorcycle rental store practically next door to our marina and see if he could get “free” air. We found a guy there lying on the ground working on a motorcycle who told us to help ourselves and even pulled out the hose and an air pressure gauge for our use. Nice guy! No charge!

For Valentine’s Day dinner, I made Clark a nice home-cooked meal that we both thoroughly enjoyed. I have to admit when our neighbors on Water Witch told me of their day, spent on their dinghy, restaurant hopping to celebrate the special day, I felt jealous. Since neither Clark nor I enjoy large amounts of alcohol, however, I expect I would not have enjoyed the outing anywhere near as much as they did. They both came back having imbibed enough to feel “buzzed”.

Sometime over the course of the day, when Clark was walking around the marina, he encountered an iguana enjoying the docks. He recorded the event and posted it to Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment