Saturday, February 25, 2017

Fast Boats Poker Run

2/24/2017

The "High Performance Boats" boaters readied their vessels for their "Poker Run" today. Two clubs are gathered here at Faro Blanco. Clark said they set off in two different directions to collect their poker hands. One group went towards Key West and the other headed east. According to Wikipedia, participants in a Poker Run event "...must visit five to seven checkpoints, drawing a playing card at each one. The object is to have the best poker hand at the end of the run. The event has a time limit, however the participants are not timed—winning is purely a matter of chance."

Here are just a few examples of the "fast boats" going out on today's run.


Heading out of marina

Get Ready

Get Set

Go

One of the boaters has been using a drone to capture footage of the Fast-Boat event. I saw the owner with his drone standing on the bow of his blue fast boat, so I grabbed my camera. I waited with camera in hand, still once he decided to launch the drone, it took off and flew faster than me or my camera could respond, so I missed the shot. Then, suddenly, the drone stopped and hovered near to where I was standing. I got the distinct feeling that he was watching me take a picture of the drone. When he decided I had my shot, the drone took off. Whoosh! 

Drone posing for a picture!


Once the fast boats take off, the spray of water coming off their stern is the most visible part of them. From talking to folks here at the marina, we learned that top speeds on these boats range from 90 mph to over 200 mph. Most, however, travel around 70 mph. Clark asked one captain how he avoided crab traps at that speed, and he said, "I don't!" The props spin at an incredible speed, and the blades are extra sharp, so as they go over crab traps, they cut the lines. I am sure the crab trap owners just love to find their crab traps gone!

And they are off!





Meanwhile, back at the marina, those of us on trawlers left behind in a mostly empty marina soaked up the joy of blissful quiet. 

I decided to work on a sewing project while Clark did his boat repairs and chores. Because the sun bakes the wooden table on the flybridge, I decided it should have a cover. Unfortunately, the left over canvas piece I had from another project was just too small to do the job. I did have some other material on hand and decided using that was better than leaving the table constantly exposed to the elements. Because the table is on the flybridge, and I was designing the cover as I went, I decided to sit up there with my little Janome sewing machine. The arrangement worked quite well.

As Clark and I kept busy on Sunset Delight, A.C. and Jim worked hard on their own projects on Hour Plan next door to us. At 1:00 A.C. called over to me to ask if Clark and I wanted to go with them up to the marina grill to grab lunch. That sounded delightful, so we stopped work about 30 minutes later and headed up there to socialize with them. A.C. and I found so much to talk about that we stood on the dock between our two boats for ages to continue our discussion that started over lunch.

Afterwards, we went boarded our respective boats and resumed our tasks. I completed my table cover and am quite pleased with the result. I only wish I could have done the job properly with canvas. Next time! Besides not having enough canvas, I am not sure my poor, baby Janome could manage the job!

Sadly, late afternoon, all the fast boats came pouring back into the marina and the quiet disappeared. We could hear loud music and booming announcements coming from the two dinner venues (Hyatte hotel pool and Faro Blanco Marina pool areas) attended by the fast boat boaters. While they all enjoyed their banquets, I took a stroll around the docks add steps to my Fitbit and to look at their boats. Several of them had their engine compartments open for display with lighting to show them off. Boats glowed red, blue, and green depending on the owner's color preference for the lights. Surprisingly, although I saw six empty slips on my walk, I noticed that quite a few slips had two boats rafted together in them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment