Thursday, February 16, 2017

Overseas Pub and Grill

2/15/2017

Having failed to repair the guest head sink due to wrongly-sized parts yesterday, Clark was on a mission today to get the right parts to complete the job. When all was said and done, he decided he could clean up and reuse the original sink plumbing with the exception of the lock-washer / nut that he drilled through to remove the assembly.

We drove up and down Route 1 in Marathon all morning in search of the elusive nut. We stopped at The Home Depot first and found several similar nuts in their plumbing department - all too big. From there we tried Specialty Hardware where we purchased a nut that fit but one that is made of steel. Steel and boats do not go well together as it rusts. For seventy cents Clark took it as an option but decided to keep looking for an alternative in brass, plastic, or stainless steel.

I asked him to drop me off at the food store, so I could do my shopping while he continued to roam Route 1. He left me at Winn Dixie and headed off to the plumbing store and then to West Marine to see what options they might have. He found me an hour later at Publix. He had been unsuccessful in his search but had come back with some leads.

The first took us to The Home Depot again. Having spent at least an hour there first thing this morning, I started to feel like I lived there! We did not find what we needed there but came awfully close. The next lead took us to Marathon Electric Signs and Lighting. Of course that is at the far end of town away from the boat. We called first and they actually said they had something they thought would work. Back in the car for more touring of Route 1. The part, made for outdoor electrical work, seemed like a good option and we paid a whole thirty-nine cents for it.

Finally we could head back to the boat - me with my groceries and Clark with his precious lock-washer / nut. It had only taken us six stops at stores to find what we needed! (Home Depot, Specialty Hardware, West Marine, Reef Water Works plumbing supply, Home Depot again, and then Marathon Electric) Time for lunch!

After lunch, Clark spent the afternoon putting the sink together. He required my help to push down on the drain from above while he put the piping together underneath. Fortunately the job went smoothly this time. When finished, he said he needed to leave it for 24 hours to dry before performing the "leak test". We will not know until tomorrow if the repair was successful.

We had arranged to go out to the Overseas Pub and Grill with our friends who helped repair the canvas yesterday. Having spent the better part of the day on the sink repair, we both felt ready for a break from boat work. Though we could have walked, given the humidity and threat of storms later, we drove to the restaurant.

The bar has a ring of ice around it where the drinks can be set to keep them chilled. We decided to sit at the bar to take advantage of this feature. Happy Hour ended at 6:00. We arrived at 5:00. We thought the ice tray might come in handy if we decided we needed to buy additional drinks to stock up before happy hour ended.

We placed our order for drinks - three beers and a water for Clark. I normally order Yuengling, but they did not stock that beer. I asked them for something similar and they brought me a Narragansett Lager that I thoroughly enjoyed. I now have two beers I know I like.

Two-thirds of the way through my beer I could tell I had imbibed in alcohol. By the end of the beer I believe I would qualify as drunk. I needed to use the lady's room and wondered if I could walk there without weaving all over the place. I decided I would take the chance. I think I walked a straight line getting there, but I cannot be sure. Clearly it had been way too long since I last ate food.

Three of us ordered burgers for dinner. Clark ordered a grilled-fish sandwich and wished he had ordered a burger for dinner. My burger was absolutely delicious. The fries that came with it were great too. When I wasn't looking, Clark stole my last three french fries! The fiend!

After finishing our burgers and drinks, we decided to visit the local ice cream shop for dessert. They had a flavor called "garbage can" that was vanilla with seven different candy bars mixed in. Marvelous! All told, it was a great outing with good friends and delicious food.

When we got back to the boat, our neighbors on Water Witch greeted us with, "You got packages while you were out!" Clark was overjoyed. I groaned. After opening his three packages, he knew he would be working on his WiFi project tomorrow. Oh joy!

The predicted storm greeted us shortly after we arrived at our marina. Clark saw some lightning as he drove us back. It started to rain after we were back on our boat, so timing was impeccable. We had a windy night ahead of us, so Clark added a line to keep the boat in position. Then we settled in to watch a movie on a DVD left by the previous owners of our boat -- an odd movie from the 80s called Bail Out, but entertaining just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment