Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Dinner at Key's Fishery

2/20/2017

Today was a very important day as both my elder son's and my younger son's daughters were born on this day. Jeff's daughter, Sierra, turned 3 today, and Chris's daughter, Lily, celebrated her first birthday. I called both granddaughters to wish them happy birthday. Lily replied with goo and gaa (she was busy eating and could not talk too long). However, Sierra and I had a lovely conversation about skiing, her toys, and the TV show Paw Patrol. She has never said more than "Hi" to me in the past, so both Jeff and I were surprised by her willingness to talk so much.

Lily Celebrating her 1st Birthday in Connecticut
Sierra in her "Finding Dorry" shirt
with her "Snowman" Cake in Colorado
Since Clark and I have a car here in Marathon, I offered a ride to the food store to Jeanne from Daybreak and JoAnn from Namaste. We left late morning and made an additional stop at Walgreen's. Even though it was just a trip to get some supplies, it made a nice "just-the-girls" outing.

In the afternoon Clark continued to try to chip away at his "punch list". He found me mid-afternoon sitting by the pool and told me that "all the balls are currently in the air". Several of his items require getting parts or talking to service reps. He walked with me over to talk to Jim and JoAnn from Namaste. JoAnn and I stayed talking long after Jim and Clark left the pool area.

Apparently, on his way back to the boat, Clark found some birds just begging to be photographed.





Steve and Kevin from Lone Star offered to take Clark and me out for dinner to say thank you for a day's worth of electrical work Clark helped them with on their boat. We set out at 6:00 for the Sunset Grill restaurant. When we got there, we found the parking lot overflowing and the wait for a table of an hour and a half. We opted out and left that venue in search of an alternative. Kevin suggested Key's Fishery, where Clark and I have never eaten, so we decided to go there.

Obviously from the name, the menu consists mostly of seafood; however, I did see burgers on the menu for those landlubbers who do not want a fish dinner. I chose the Lobster Mac & Cheese and Clark got the grouper with mango salsa special. Although Clark found his grouper to be spicier than he would have preferred, we both enjoyed our meals very much.

Sunset as seen from Key's Fishery

Evelyn with  Kevin and Steve from Lone Star

Afterwards Clark took us all to the ice cream shop for dessert. Since they had one serving left of the "garbage can" flavor, which I enjoyed last time I visited the store, I grabbed that as my choice.

Once back on Sunset Delight, I decided that the blog could wait and instead watched an episode of NCIS: Los Angeles just to kick back and relax.

2/21/2017

Today, Clark and I started discussing our travel plans for the trip back to New Jersey. With the logistics of moving the boat and the car, it becomes complicated. I tell anyone who asks about having the car that it is "a blessing and a curse". It has been very handy to have a car for all the repair-related activities we have been doing; it is a pain to have to move the car regularly to future marinas. We have more trip-planning discussion that needs to take place, but at least we made a start on it.

The birthday girl, Mia, and her family left Faro Blanco today for a trip to Key West. Clark went over to say goodbye. When he came back to our boat, he found me talking to Anna May. Later, he managed to capture a picture of their boat as they pulled out from their dock.

La Cigale leaves Faro Blanco ...
Bon Voyage to the Wilson Family

A couple of the items on Clark's punch list could be tackled today. First, he spent an inordinately long time on the phone with a representative from Mastervolt batteries. The boat has a battery monitoring system that was configured incorrectly with the wrong total amp hours. When at anchor, we need to know how much "juice" we have left in the batteries. Resetting the total amp hours to get accurate readings required logging in as "installer" and resetting parameters. It took the bulk of the morning to complete the exercise. Check one off the list!

While Clark worked on the Mastervolt setup, the two Raycor gauges with drag pointers that he ordered a while ago got delivered to the boat. That gave him another project to be worked on - remove the existing Raycor's and replace them with the new and improved versions. Before he got to that job, however, Kevin from Lone Star walked by and said her new electrical parts had just arrived. Clark walked over and helped Steve replace the bad parts. Two nights ago, Kevin said her electric went on and off all night long. Not good! I saw Kevin a couple of hours later who said, "Woohoo! It's done!" Clearly, she was pleased!

While Clark did his miscellaneous afternoon jobs, I walked over and talked to Jeanne on Daybreak. There, I was reminded that a Looper group meeting was being held at 3:00 for anyone interested in discussing the Bahamas. I misunderstood the agenda and thought that someone would be presenting information on visiting the Bahamas. I thought this topic might be interesting even though I went last year.

Instead, the meeting turned out to be Loopers who plan to visit the Bahamas meeting to pick each other's brains about what to expect when they get there. The few of us that had been there in the past offered insight and information where we could. I recommended folks read my blog to get details on our trip last April.

As a result of attending the session, I did get a bonus. I found Tom and Jane there from Elizabear, whom we traveled with last year as we wove our way down the western rivers towards Mobile, Alabama. It was great to see them again as the last I saw them was just about a year ago here in Marathon, Florida.

My captain was doing his side job tonight and got some interesting sunset pictures. The weather has been on the cool side, overcast and windy all day.We are expecting rain for the next two days. Consequently, the sky at sunset appeared quite interesting. I believe the saying is "Red sky at night; sailor's delight". The predicted storms do not appear to jive with that old saying!

Dark clouds, breezy, and quite cool this evening

Thunder cloud forming

Anvil-shaped, thunder cloud close up

Orange-striped sky

Red sky at night!
Looking out over the Gulf of Mexico





No comments:

Post a Comment