Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Florida: Marathon - Taco Tuesday

Day 227
Tuesday 2/23/2016

I decided that I could not stand it one more minute - my bushy hair needed to be cut and cut NOW! The picture I had to include in Monday's blog entry was the very last straw! I needed a makeover fast.

I told Clark that whatever else happened I needed to complete my priority agenda item for the day - my haircut! He of course had his own agenda - working on the light installation in the upper helm. He needed to drill screw holes in the stainless steel pipe to suspend it from the Bimini top. We had this discussion around 11:00 a.m. I suggested that he get his screw holes drilled and then we could head out for my haircut. After all, how long could it possibly take to drill 4 holes in a pipe.

I should know better. Working steady with almost no break except for a quick trip to West Marine for screws and later a bite to eat, we finally finished the hole-drilling project at 3:00. It is extremely difficult to drill into stainless steel pipe, and even harder to get the screws to go into the pipe after making the holes. After drilling the basic hole (x 4) and fighting with regular screws, Clark used his tap and die set to thread the newly drilled holes so that he could screw in bolts instead of self-tapping screws. It worked like a charm but took hours.

I had hoped to get the haircut earlier in the day, hit the pool, do some reading, ... Instead my only accomplishment for the day was holding the far end of a stainless steel pole in sticky, humid heat. Will I never learn???

We did go for that haircut eventually. By the time I got to the barber shop where I had decided to get my hair chopped, the clock showed 3:40. I had a recommendation from Jeanne on Daybreak that, although the owner was a lady barber cutting mostly men's hair, she also cut women's hair. She did a nice job with Jeanne's hair and the price of $14 was definitely right!

When I got to the barber shop, Clark waited outside while I poked my head in to find out how long it would take. Two men were ahead of me - one in the chair and one waiting. She told me she could get me done by 4:00. To say I was skeptical was an understatement, but I told Clark the message. He left to go shopping at West Marine instead of waiting for me.

We had traveled there by bicycle since the shop is almost two miles from the boat. West Marine is across from the marina, so he had a two-mile each way trip to go back to the store to go shopping and come back. He did not care. Four miles is nothing to him! One of the screws he purchased for the light project was the wrong thread, so he went for a replacement.

At 3:55 I texted Clark to say he could forget 4:00 because she had not even started on me yet. I love the fact that I can now text Clark. That capability is new for the loop trip with his Android phone. He never allowed texts on his flip phone that he used up until this trip. He got my message and decided since he had time he would visit a music shop on the route between West Marine and the barber shop.

The barber finished cutting my hair just after Clark walked into the shop, so his timing was good and he did not have to wait long. As we walked out of the shop, he told me that we needed to go to the farmer's market next door because the owner told Clark he could take a free grapefruit with him. It seems that the owner likes compliments on his produce, and Clark stopped in and made a point of telling him how delicious his yellow squash was from the day before.

While Clark was selecting his free grapefruit, I bought another yellow squash. The owner recognizes us since we go there all the time. When I went there the day before, he said, "I know you; you are the one with a hundred bags! Where is your husband?" (I had a bundle of reusable vegetable bags in my hands at the time.) I told him Clark would be right along since he had a quick stop to make before joining me. The owner was pleased when Clark came pedaling in and said "Oh, there he is!"

When we got back to the marina, I barely had time to grab a much-needed shower before our planned outing to the Hurricane Restaurant. Ralph from Mazel Tug rounded up 18 loopers to have dinner together for Taco Tuesday. On Tuesdays tacos are $1.50 each, so if a persons eats only tacos, the bill at the end of the night is real cheap.

The restaurant has an amazing Lego display that is a "work in progress". One wonders with the size of the display where they can expand. The section where I sat had a Star Wars display including a small army of Darth Vader warriors.

Lego Scenes Display Case

Lego Traffic Jam

Lego Motorcycle Gang
 Attendees at the looper dinner included Sea Moss, Liquid Assets, Friar Tuck, Knot Sew Easy, Jammin Jane, Dream Catcher, Sadie II, Lydia, Mazel Tug, John from Nuclear Fishin', and LeeLoo.






We planned on using our bikes to go to the restaurant even though it would be dark for the return trip. However, at the last minute we got an invitation from Marv and Connie on Sadie II  to ride in the van they rented. We accepted, which as it turned out later, was fortuitous. Ken and Josephine from Friar Tuck had ridden their bikes to the gathering, but Ken thought it better if Josephine took the car ride back. Clark took Josephine's bike and rode it back to the marina for her. He had fun, and she got a ride.

When we got back to the boat, Clark and I went back up to the upper helm to do one more step on the light installation before calling it a night. We had to mark the position for the light on the stainless steel rod in the dark, so we could get the proper effect. I sure hope we get a lot of use out of this blessed light since it has taken so much time to install it.

Although it was almost 9:30, I decided that my hair makeover day was not complete. I mixed up my own special hair color recipe and headed up to the restroom to color my hair. Too much gray was showing! I got back to the boat at 11:30 a new woman!

New Haircut









No comments:

Post a Comment