Thursday, February 11, 2016

Florida: Marathon - sunsets

Day 215

I was not going to admit that we bought an electric blanket for the boat, but right after I ordered it, Clark told some folks. It arrived yesterday, and as I carried the box back to the boat from the marina office, I thought "Well, this should keep the cold weather away." The weather was reasonably warm, and I hoped it would stay that way. I hoped it would be like taking an umbrella to insure it will not rain.

However, by the time I was ready to climb into bed last night, I realized that the state room was cold enough that I should pull out my new electric blanket and make use of it. While I changed into my bedtime attire, I cranked up the electric blanket, and by the time I climbed into bed, it was all toasty warm and cozy. Before I fell asleep, I turned it off so it would not get too hot during the night Then sometime around 4:00 a.m. I reached over and flipped it on again for a half hour or so to chase the chill away once more. When Clark woke up this morning, he said that he had slept well because he was nice and warm all night long, so instead of taking up space as I feared, it appears to have been a worthwhile purchase.

At the time Clark told folks we ordered an electric blanket, I (not Clark) got the sensible question, "Why not just run the heat on your boat?" The answer is 1) running the heat does not warm the sheets - they are still like ice even though the room may be warm, 2) the heater takes the moisture, what there is of it, out of the air and dries me out, 3) the heater is noisier than an electric blanket, and 4) since we are paying by the kilowatt hour for electric at this marina, the electric blanket saves us money.

The temperature when we got up this morning was 55 degrees with 20+ mph winds blowing. When I leave the boat, I am wearing my winter hat, a heavy long-sleeved shirt, a heavy fleece, and my raincoat to stay warm. When the wind stops blowing, the sun is hot enough to make it comfortable. When the wind blows, it is C-O-L-D cold!! I keep waiting for that hot weather I was told I would have to deal with when I arrived in the Florida Keys!

Since the weather was uninviting, I decided that I would tackle re-organizing the boat galley today. The boat always looks a mess no matter what I do, but I thought I would try to find places to stow some things that seem to make the situation appear worse than usual. Since I did not throw things away in the cleanup process and there is definitely limited space, I am not sure how much it helped, but at least I tried.

I worked on my boat re-org project most of the day. I even went well past the time for docktails, but eventually I decided enough was enough and went over to the lighthouse to see who was still around. I got to talk to a few folks, but the big deal today was the sunset. The weather has been too nasty / cloudy to provide sunsets earlier this week. Tonight's light show actually took me by surprise.

Clark was busy on the boat and did not make it over to docktails at all. I called him to alert him about the sunset, so while I took pictures from the lighthouse, he took pictures from our boat.


Clark Sunset - nearby our boat

Clark Sunset - distance shot of lighthouse

Ev Sunset - zoomed out

Ev Sunset - zoomed in

The sunset seemed to last a rather long time tonight and ranged in color from yellow to orange to orange-red. I had the pleasure of enjoying the view with Kenny and Jeanne from Daybreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment