Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Florida: Marathon - Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Day 228
2/24/2016

Once again I had an agenda for the day. We are always busy with some activity or some project or other. Today I had a list. First on the list was water aerobics. I convinced Clark to go with me. For once, the weather was already hot and humid at 9:00 in the morning, so it turned out not to need a "hard sell" to get him to go.

Unfortunately, we did not have the full details on the water aerobics class. I thought the yoga at 9:45 was optional, but in fact the yoga is the warm up session for the aerobics. Clark was busy with his email, and I had trouble moving him off the boat. We got up to the pool at just a minute or so after 10:00, but the aerobics had clearly been going on for a while when we got there. I was more than annoyed since I had tried really hard to move Clark along, but he managed to make me late anyway.

The water was on the cool side, but I strode right in to get going on the aerobics as quickly as possible. When there was a break in the instruction, I asked, "What time did you start today?" The instructor said they started when they had a sufficient mass to get going. I said as I pointed at Clark, "I would have been here earlier, but he [Clark] made me late." Then she asked me if I wanted to introduce myself and my husband, and I said, "No! I don't." which made everyone burst out laughing.

I did introduce myself and then after a brief pause I said, "and this is my husband Clark." I laughed out loud a while later in the session when we were doing "Tin Soldier" kicks. Clark was behind me and with each kick, he kicked me in the butt. Of course I had to tell everyone why I was laughing. Nancy from California Lady told Clark to behave or he would have to go stand in the middle of the group for misbehaving. I heard Clark say softly to me, "That is for earlier!" I do love that man - he always makes me laugh!

The water felt so wonderful that we stayed in the pool to savor the moment for a while before getting out to take care of more items on our to-do list. We got back to the boat around 11:30, so it made sense to eat lunch before going shopping at Publix - our next task. Since we had some time before the noon hour, Clark ran up top to continue working on his upper-helm light project. It has taken three days to install this light!

Yesterday he had only measured where to put the light on the steel rod. Today he had to drill the holes and mount the light on the pipe. While he worked on that job, I read my latest historical novel and eventually made lunch. Thank goodness I did not need to work on the light project with him!

After he finished the light mounting work and had eaten, we got out our bikes and headed off to Publix to buy strawberries and rhubarb. Bob from Knot Sew Easy agreed to make us a strawberry-rhubarb pie if we bought the filling ingredients. We could not refuse such a wonderful offer, and we wanted to buy the ingredients so he could make the pie today. While we were at Publix, we bought ice cream as well, so we could have pie a la mode.

Unlike the weather for the most of this month, today was a warm and humid 80-something degrees. Although biking generates its own breeze, it was still a hot, four-mile ride (two miles each way). By the time we got back from the store, I decided I needed another dip in that pool. Clark thought that sounded good, so we both suited up and went for a swim. We knew that Bob was swimming, so delivering the pie making ingredients would have to wait at least for a bit.

After swimming Clark brought the pie ingredients over to Bob's boat and then headed off on foot to get our gas tank for the outboard filled at a nearby gas station. While he was doing that I decided to attend "Yappy Hour" up by the marina building. The marina staff put out tables and chairs, water bowls, and dog-biscuit treats for all the canines currently staying at the marina.

The event was not well advertised but had a reasonable turn out just the same. Seems like no one went to docktails tonight - they were all at Yappy Hour instead.

Folks gathered for Yappy Hour with a
table setup with dog-related items for sale

Dogs played and played until they were exhausted

Benji from Liquid Asseststaking a much-needed rest from his play

Crockett from Jammin Jane 
with his owners Ben and Jane

Sadie from Sadie II
with her owners Marv and Connie
We had an invitation to join some folks at the Sunset Grill for dinner tonight, but having eaten out last night and having potential plans to eat out tomorrow, we decided to pass. We had leftover spaghetti on the boat with grilled zucchini on the side. I wonder if Clark tells the owner of the farmer's market how much we enjoyed that zucchini if we will get another free grapefruit.

After dinner Clark disappeared onto Sadie II to talk with Marv about New Jersey waters. He was gone for hours. While he was gone, a cold front with lots of rain came through. The temperature dropped rapidly from today's high of 81 to a chilly 68. In between bursts of rain, I retrieved Clark's pie for him from Bob. The pie was hot when I got it, but it had lots of time to cool while he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment