Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Florida: Marathon - Shopping at West Marine

Day 206

We had no set agenda for today and, with no plans, not much happened from my point of view. After breakfast we decided to walk over to the West Marine boat-supply store. Clark needed boat soap, but I think mostly he wanted to check out their inventory.

Crossing the garden between the Faro Blanco marina and the associated hotel where we are staying, we came across an outdoor chess board. I honestly can say that even having been married to Clark for almost 36 years, I have no idea if he knows how to play chess. I know the rules but none of the strategies, so we admired the chess set but made no attempt to play a match.

I'll start my play with my white knight!

Crossing the street to get to the West Marine store turned out not to be quite as challenging as we had expected. We had been told that if we waited long enough, believe it or not, we would get a break in the traffic, and sure enough, we got an opening where we could get across the street without having to run for our lives. We stopped into a Yamaha dealer and marine supply store first. I was ready to leave within about 5 minutes of entering the store, but Clark managed to find enough items to examine to keep us there for a good long time.

West Marine is located right next door to the marine supply store, so we did not have far to walk to get there. This particular West Marine seemed to have a fairly large stock of clothing and an abundance of fishing gear - not that we needed or wanted either of those. I found the boat soap for Clark. Unfortunately he found lots of other items to analyze, with the bulk of his time focused on an LED Flood light that he became fascinated with. He wants a light of this type for our fly-bridge, but he could not decide how he could mount the model they were selling. He finally pulled up the model number on his phone with a Google search and read about the mounting options.

Later, when he was looking at some other possible items to add to our boat inventory, I suggested that he take a picture with his cellphone, so he could do research later on the available models. He liked that suggestion so much he took photos there and then ran back and took a photo of the LED light and mounting materials as well. Ultimately we spent over an hour in the store and left without the LED light or any mounting materials to go with it. Instead we had one bottle of boat soap in hand and a few pictures on Clark's cellphone that I will not bother to add to this post.

By the time we got back to the marina, half the day was gone and I had little to show for it. I was more than ready for lunch, but on our way back to the boat, we saw, and stopped to talk to, Kenny and Jeanne on Daybreak just to say hello, or so I thought. By 1:30 I told Clark that I could not wait any more I needed to eat lunch and left him there chatting. How he can forget to eat is beyond me, but he had indeed forgotten that we had not yet had lunch.

After lunch I decided to start reading my latest downloaded e-novel, and Clark got busy on his laptop researching the items he had seen in West Marine. As I got a little ways into my book I realized that I have read this one at some point in my past. I do not remember enough to know what will happen next, but as I read each section, I knew I had read it before. I have decided that this particular book is not good enough to read twice even with not remembering what happens next.

In fact I found it so non-stimulating that it did a good job of putting me to sleep. I went and laid down and had a nice nap. Around 5:00, Clark was still busy doing his research on the laptop, but I reminded him that "dock"tails happen at 5:00. We grabbed our drinks (water bottles) and headed over to the lighthouse. Today, as opposed to yesterday, we found a large group already there. We joined them and the time flew by as we talked to folks we knew and some we had not met previously. I had to 'drag' Clark away when the time got to be almost 6:30 as I had to get back to make dinner.

I am not sure when he saw the sun set as I totally missed it today. I probably had my hands full and my focus on preparing dinner. Nevertheless he got a photo of the event.

Looking across Faro Blanco marina from our boat at sunset 

After dinner Clark went back to his online research. If nothing else, he is tenacious!



No comments:

Post a Comment