Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Florida: Marathon - "for the birds"?

Day 214

Sometimes I get a tune in my head and no matter what I do I cannot get it out of my head. Well this morning, instead of a tune, I had the instant replay of last night's traumatic event playing over and over and over again in my head. I woke at 6:30, and no matter what I did I could not think of anything other than the events of the previous evening. Consequently I could not get back to sleep. Needless to say that when I finally decided enough was enough and dragged myself out of bed, I was groggy and had a headache.

We got a call from Ken on Friar Tuck around 7:30 to give us a status update. The person who got hit by the truck on Route 1 lost a lot of blood and suffered three broken ribs. Because of potential complications from the accident, the local hospital decided to transport the injured person via helicopter to a hospital in Miami. After their assessment, we heard that the recovery time is expected to be six to eight weeks. Thank goodness the end result was not far worse.

Getting out and about helped us to focus on something other than the accident. We did leave the marina grounds today, but we did get the chance to talk with a number of other boaters / loopers staying here at the marina. It seems like talking may be the only thing I accomplished today as I cannot think of anything else particularly noteworthy.

At 5:00 we headed up to the lighthouse for docktails, but we never got that far. As we walked past the pool we saw Ben and Jane from Jammin Jane waving to us, so we walked over to say hello. We never got any further than that. We sat there by the pool getting colder and colder and by sundown I was quite miserably cold.

I am sure that folks living in the northern states have little to no sympathy, but I thought I would have much warmer weather here in Florida. The high today was 63 degrees. I understand the normal average temperature is 78. I would be thrilled with 68 at this point! I have not been able to use the pool since we first got here. Someone tried today and said that he could not get any more than his big toe in the water because it was "too darn cold"!

I guess since the human guests are not using the pool, this pelican thought it was fair game to go for a swim.

Pelican in the Faro Blanco Marina Pool

We were sitting around the pool having our own docktails with Knot Sew Easy and Jammin Jane when he decided to fly in for a swim. Two of the three dogs at docktails with us took exception to the pelican's company though and chased him off.

I guess the marina is "for the birds" because as we looked to see where the pelican went, we saw that another feathered visitor had arrived and perched on our friend's boat.


Egret on top of Nuclear Fishin'

As Clark was busy taking the egret's picture, he (the egret) decided to move to the dock and pose right next to where Clark was standing.



After docktails, we saw Jim and JoAnn from Namaste. They planned on eating dinner here at the marina with Ken and Jo from Friar Tuck. We decided to join them. We had advance warning that the menu was "gourmet" with "gourmet prices". That assessment was right on the mark. The pricing was exorbitant and a la carte. I had hoped that I might find an option for a hamburger as a low-cost meal, but no such luck!

Clark and I finally did what the other two couples did - we ordered an appetizer and split it as our main meal. Lobster macaroni and cheese seemed a popular choice, so we went for that. I ordered Brussels sprouts as a side and Clark got asparagus. In fact, when all was said and done, it was a filling and yummy dinner. After we had already settled the bill, Clark remembered that he had a 10% off coupon in his pocket. He mentioned something to the assistant manager and received a 15% off coupon for our next visit. Sad thing is I am not convinced I will be able to get Clark to come back another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment