Sunday, August 30, 2026

2026 August: Horseshoe Cove NJ

 

Looking towards the Highlands
from Horseshoe Cove, Sandy Hook, NJ

25 August 2026 -- Tuesday

The new shades for the salon windows on the boat arrived earlier than expected, and Clark, anxious to get them installed, asked if I wanted to help. I honestly replied, knowing I truly had no choice in the matter, "Not really!" I knew it would be a difficult and time-consuming job. I just did not realize how totally obnoxious the job would be. Seven hours after we started the project, we finally declared ourselves done. 

The biggest hurdle was getting the shades installed under the permanently installed wooden framework. It looks great, but it makes it a pain to access the shades that lie underneath. I had the easy part - hold one end of shade, aim flashlight, etc. Clark did the engineering and hard work of twisting the shades into place. 

We went from ...


to ...


and finally ...

When we took the shades down, I removed the window treatments, i.e. curtains, that I had in place. I scrubbed them as clean as I could ready to be reinstalled when ready. I made the curtains a few years back. I bought a shower curtain at Marshal's for little cost, chopped it up and turned it into curtains. 



A minimal amount of room exists between the wooden frame work and the housing of the shades. Each of the three windows yielded different amounts of space in which to operate. Clark did the small, stern window first, and that went in the easiest. The wood of the frame is not as thick as the port and starboard windows thus allowing more room to operate and more room for me to get the curtains in place.



The starboard window yielded the least amount of space once the shades were installed. It should have been the same as the port but that was dependent on where Clark placed the screw holes. I could barely get my fingers between the shade and the wooden frame, but I did manage to get the job done as proven by the photo above. 

We had one casualty from the install. One of the fans we use in the salon was clipped onto the wooden trim above the starboard side window. It can sit there no longer. There is no space between the shade and the wood to allow it to be placed there. When I tried, it broke!

Fan operates, but clip has snapped due to age

26 August 2026 - Wednesday

Having worked so hard yesterday on window shades, we decided to take Sunset Delight out for a maintenance run - just a quick trip through Pleasure Bay and back home again. 

Leaving side channel on Pleasure Bay
to enter main channel
running to Shrewsbury River


3 Guys laying traps beside channel




Sandy Beach on Island in Pleasure Bay


Camping equipment left by someone
to be used upon their return

More "stuff" at a different part of the island







An hour or so from when we left our dock, we were coming back in to tie up.

Our Creek

27 - 28 August 2026

We took a couple of days off from working on the boat to relax. Clark took the opportunity to order more parts for our boating pleasure. The biggest, i.e. most-expensive, new toy is to arrive on Monday.

I spent time on my hobbies - drawing, reading, and playing Mah Jongg online. I got involved in playing Mah Jongg with fellow boaters at Marlin Bay this past season. It is a challenging game to play, and I decided I need to practice. 

My friends told me about "Mah Jongg with Friends" that is an online game. At the present time, all my friends are "bots". They play well. They are extremely patient with me. Their only fault is that they don't say a word!

"Mah Jongg For Friends" - online game

Thursday, we had torrential downpours. Roads in local Middletown, New Jersey flooded and left cars stranded on the highways. Some areas reported hail with the heavy rain. At our home we saw heavy rain that brought down twigs and leaves but nothing more serious than that. It was a good day to be indoors.

A week ago, we set up plans to go out to dinner with friends to a nearby restaurant called CJ McCloone's. Fortunately, the rain had mostly stopped by the evening time when we had our reservation. Our long-term friends, the Nicis and the DeMaios, planned to meet us at the restaurant at 6:30. 

Four of us were on time. The other two suffered a flat tire just down the street from the restaurant. Unfortunately, at the time of them getting a flat, the rain had started once more.

Apparently, they drove over something, a spark plug maybe, that put a hole in their tire. It delayed their arrival at the restaurant, which was way better than them not attending at all. They had to work out how and when they could get a non-donut tire installed on the car. It had to be done quickly due to travel plans the next day. Working those logistics took time and delayed their arrival at CJ's. 

When all was said and done, we had managed to get the whole group together. The food was good. The chat we had was great. We enjoyed a great evening getting together with old friends. 

CJ McCloone's Pub

Clark and I rarely eat out, so it was unusual for us to have back-to-back evenings where we dined out. We try to get together during the summer with Clark's guitar buddy, Joe, and his wife (my friend), Diane. Last time we went out, Clark picked the restaurant. This time they picked a restaurant in our home town of Rumson that we did not even know existed, Ristorante Giorgia. 



It was an intimate place. We sat inside. Most folks sat outdoors to dine. Since it was BYOB, Joe thoughtfully remembered that I drink beer on occasion, even knew my preferences, and brought me one. Much appreciated!

Dinner was delicious, but we saved room for dessert at nearby Crazee's.

Crazees - popular ice cream place in Rumson, NJ


29 August 2026 - Saturday
Depart: home 12:20
Arrive: home 6:40
Distance: 7.5 nm round trip

When we took the boat our this past week, Clark thought he heard something that made him want to check the boat props to be sure there were no problems down there. Looking at the weather, today looked to be the better choice for an outing. Since we may have jellyfish in our creek, he suggested a trip to Horseshoe Cove for his dive under the boat. 

Given that plan, after breakfast, I put together a bag of food for a picnic lunch out at the cove and swim bags for jumping in the water. Today's weather was a bit of a surprise as the air felt quite chilly at around 70 degrees. Clark measured the water temperature in the creek to be about 80 degrees. Inspected the water around the boat for jellyfish and decided that he would much rather go in the water here than out at Sandy Hook. 


Getting ready to go under the boat

Luckily, he found no issues with the props and nothing wound around either shaft. Since I had already loaded the boat with our lunch and such, he climbed back on board and we headed out for a relaxing day at Sandy Hook. I saw no reason to cancel our travel plans even though his job was done.

By the time he had completed his prop check, dried off, and started the engines, it was already past noon. We would eat when the anchor was down about 90 minutes from departure.

As we passed through Pleasure Bay, two folks on a dinghy came up to us persistently waving. Clark said, "Do we know those people?" I took a look and said, "It looks like Fisherman Mike from Marlin Bay!" Clark put the engines in neutral and went back to say hello while I kept an eye on the boat and the markers. It turned out to be Mike from "Glory Days" visiting the area. We invited him to join us at Horseshoe Cove. It was a long shot and alas he did not come out to join us. He was with family in Monmouth Beach.

Mike in Dinghy in Pleasure Bay

As we waved goodbye to Mike, I said, "You never know who you'll run into when out on the water!"

As we approached the Shrewsbury River, I spied a black-hulled, rubber boat.  To Clark I said, "Is that a police boat? I can't see anything that says so." He pulled out the binoculars and said, "Yes, State Police!" They were busy watching the boats go by. Clark speculated they were checking registrations. I wondered it they were looking for speeders entering the Shrewsbury. 

Black boat - NJ State Police on duty

Since we normally just travel around Pleasure Bay and then go back home, it felt exciting to travel all the way out to Sandy Hook. It almost felt like we were at the start of a much longer trip, so I had the camera handy for picture taking and a blog update forming in my mind.

I took some pictures of Sea Bright as we passed by.  Up until Superstorm Sandy the bulkheading for the side streets into Sea Bright was very low. Every extra high tide presented flooding. After Sandy, taller bulkheading was put in place to reduce street flooding.

Bulkhead at end of side street in Sea Bright

Homes in Sea Bright on the river come in a variety of styles. Many of them have been here for years.


After Sandy, many homes were destroyed, and most homes, when replaced / repaired, were raised up on stilts.  One of the houses shown in the picture below is on stilts over the river water and not over land. After seeing the devastation of Sandy, I am not sure I would feel safe in this home.

Houses on stilts

I expect a number of residents in Sea Bright are unhappy with some current construction underway. The new buildings going up will block the view for many existing homeowners in the area.

New Construction ... Condos?


More Sea Bright homes on the river

On weekends the Sea Bright Bridge only opens on the hour. We arrived shortly before 1:00 and Clark decided, since it was near high tide, to wait for the opening with about four other boats. As the bridge opened, we started our "parade".


Slipaway and Dreamcape 
ahead of us heading for bridge opening

We were about an hour off high tide, so Clark wanted to know the bridge clearance. I snapped a picture as we went by.

Just about 16'

We can add some height at the center of the bridge, but sometimes it is just too close for comfort. Since I did not have to drive the boat through the bridge (as I do when we go through without an opening), I was able to see the sights. 

As we approached the bridge, Clark noticed something shining in a gold display. I took note as we went by to see what they had that was so glittery.





Once through the bridge, I turned my attention to views on the opposite shore, i.e. Rumson and the Highlands.

Big house with a big flag in Rumson, NJ

After passing the Navesink River entrance, we could see boats anchored off Hartshorne Woods park. We have dropped anchor here in the past and found it to be well protected but buggy.

Popular Anchorage at the 
entrance to the Navesink River


Entrance to the Navesink River

Once passed the Navesink, the Highlands sat to our port side.



Since today was a Saturday, we saw some tourist boats giving boat rides. 

Historic Yacht Charter
"Naval War College"
Boat Tours

As we approached the Highlands Bridge, Clark haled the Navesink Queen to determine where he planned to go. Clark wanted to crossover towards the bridge but was concerned that would be across the path of the riverboat. The captain told Clark to proceed on our desired path.


Navesink Queen

From the river,  we could see just the tops of the Twin Lights lighthouse.



Several places on the Highlands side of the river have established beaches for sunbathing. Some are open to the public; some are not.

Highlands beach 


with roped off area for swimmers


and includes a place to climb onto and jump off


Beach with a lifeguard on duty
(we've been here with grandkids)

We passed by the Seastreak dock area.

Seastreak docks

Then, further along, we saw folks enjoying the beach near the Henry Hudson Trail that connects the Highlands with the Atlantic Highlands.

Swimmers


Kayakers

On the opposite side of the river, we saw folks enjoying a Sandy Hook beach.




Sandy Hook Fort Handcock was important during World War II as a lookout for the enemy approaching New York. The picture below shows bunkers left over from the war and now fully exposed where once they were hidden. When we hiked around Hartshorne Woods last year, we saw preserved bunkers from that side of the river.

WWII bunkers at Sandy Hook

As we exited the Shrewsbury River and made our turn towards Horseshoe Cove, we passed a number of boats of a variety of styles and sizes. Seastreak passed by us.

Wake coming! Be prepared to rock!

From a distance, we could see sailboats and other boats already anchored at Horseshoe Cove.


Coming in to anchor, we passed a noisy boat with lots of folks have a good time,


and a tiny little boat with an umbrella for sunshade.



Definitely, no wake please!

We easily found a place to drop anchor for the afternoon, and these were the views that surrounded us.

Tiki Boat at Sandy Hook


Dock and beach access at Sandy Hook


Anchored Sailboats with view
of Highlands in background


Same as above

Once anchored, we pulled out the lunch I had made earlier. I was hungry! Then I enjoyed my lunch and later my book while enjoying a breeze in the cockpit / stern of the boat. Sadly, as the afternoon wore on, it came time to leave paradise and head back home. We pulled up anchor just after 5:00 and were on our way. 

With it being a Saturday evening, we saw that folks were still out enjoying the beaches and the local restaurants along the river.

Beach lovers in the Highlands

As we passed by Bahrs Dock and Dine restaurant on the river, Clark wanted to know the price of diesel fuel. At some point at some place, we will need to bring on diesel fuel for our trip south. 

Bahrs - Diesel Fuel $6.25 per gallon
(Gas $5.00 per gallon)

As we crossed Pleasure Bay to head home, we were blinded by the sun that shone directly into our eyes. 



Clark was in the channel, trying to see with the sun in his eyes, and wondering why the boat was behaving sluggishly. I looked at the depth finder and noticed it showed only one foot of water under the keel. I mentioned that to Clark, and he said that explained the sluggishness of the boat. We slowed down and shifted slightly to starboard and managed to find 1.5 feet of water. 

Closer to home, in Little Silver Creek, the depth jumped up to 3 to 4 feet below the keel. This area was dredged during the winter. It's surprising that the creek would be deeper than the channel through Pleasure Bay. Folks with more than a 4-foot draft like our boat would have to watch the tides to determine when to pass through this area. Low tide could be tough.

We docked and put the boat to bed at 6:40. Fortunately, I had a fridge full of leftovers from our two nights eating out, so dinner was pretty fast. From our brief outing, Clark came home with a list of boat repairs to be worked on. It never ends!



No comments:

Post a Comment