Tuesday, March 28, 2023

2023: Spontaneity in Vero Beach FL

 25 March 2023
Depart: Private Dock Pompano Beach, FL 10:00
Arrive: Jensen Beach North anchorage 6:15
Distance: ~ 69 nm
Conditions: 15 knot winds, Ocean wave 2 to 4' with occasional 5', sunny, breezy

After saying good morning and farewell to our kind host and hostess for the past few days, we finally got underway mid-morning to continue our journey north. While staying in Pompano Beach, Clark got a text message from a boater friend stating that he, his wife, and his new boat were situated nearby and on our route north. He asked if we could stop by to see his new boat and collect input from Clark regarding questions he had on his new acquisition. Given this unexpected but delightful inquiry, we targeted an anchorage in Jensen Beach as our next stop. 

We knew, given the direction of the wind, that our exit into the ocean via the Hillsboro Inlet would be a wild ride, and it did not disappoint!




Once out of the inlet, we turned more northward and found the waves hitting our forward beam (side). Unfortunately the stabilizers were not always capable of dealing with the waves, and we found ourselves being pushed over sideways on occasion. For the most part, items stayed on shelves where they belonged. I had laid Clark's bicycle over on its side earlier since that always wants to take a tumble even in calmer seas.

When we reached the 3-mile offshore line, it appeared that we had found the Gulf Stream as our speed increased. We followed the 3-mile line northwards with the Gulf Stream and following seas helping to push us towards the St. Lucie Inlet where we arrived just after 5:00. To help pass the time on the ocean, we listened to "Saturday Story Time" on NPR radio.

Clark wanted to anchor as near to the Four Fish Marina as possible as that was where our friends had their boat docked. Unfortunately, Clark's first choice in anchoring locations turned out to be a no-go due to 25 knot winds. We found the waters too bouncy to expect a peaceful dinner. Chasing the plates around the table did not sound like much fun!

We abandoned that spot and headed north to anchor on the north side of the Jensen Beach Causeway bridge as that would give us wind protection. Unfortunately, there we found depth to be an issue. After nosing around for a while, Clark finally decided on a spot deep enough and protected enough to drop anchor. Finally, we were good for the night -- just in time to cook dinner.

The winds died down as the evening wore on, and we had a restful evening. 

26 March 2023
Depart: Jensen Beach North anchorage 9:05
Arrive: Jensen Beach anchorage near Four Fish Marina, 9:30
Distance: short

Depart: anchorage near Four Fish Marina 1:20
Arrive: Vero Beach Private Dock 4:50
Distance: 28 nm
Conditions: cool, calm, no waves, traveled on ICW

Knowing that we wanted to get to Vero Beach by the end of today's travels, we got going reasonably early to head to meet our friends at the Four Fish Marina. Clark did all but lower the dinghy before we left the anchorage to expedite launching it after we changed anchorages. 

It was 10:00 by the time we got anchored, got the dinghy in the water, and arrived at the boat ramp at the Sailing Center near the Four Fish Marina. Our friend Tim was standing on the floating dock at the ramp to greet us and grab out lines. After tying up the dinghy, we walked with Tim the short distance to his marina to go check out his new American Tug 41 named "Blue Sky" due to the lovely shade of blue of the boat's hull.

The marina slip was not ideal, but Tim and Alice were happy to have it as slips are in short supply. At low tide their boat is literally sitting on the bottom. Getting on and off their boat at this slip offers an interesting challenge. The boat sits a fairly good distance away from and higher than the fixed dock. 

Tim offered me two options for mounting the boat. I could try to reach the stern to step on the gunnel, or I could use a rope hanging from the boat about midships to hoist myself up to climb over the railing. Believe it or not, hoisting myself on via the rope was the safer and more feasible option. I gave my handbag and cellphone to Alice as I made my way to pretend to be Jane of the Jungle. I made it! Of course Clark used his long legs to just step onto the gunnel easy as pie!

Alice and I got caught up as we haven't seen each other for a long while. (We saw Tim last summer in Massachusetts, but Alice was away at the time.) She gave me a tour of their lovely new-to-them boat. Meanwhile, Clark and Tim quickly got into the hardware / engine room type talk. Fortunately, Clark was able to give Tim some pointers regarding the questions he had on equipment. 

Knowing that we had travel plans for the afternoon, we decided to go for an early lunch. Tim and Alice had a special restaurant in mind, but as we drove through the town of Ocean Breeze, we found lines at the restaurant, lots of traffic, and limited parking. Tim came up with an alternative suggestion that sounded like a good plan. Alice and he like a food truck near their marina, so we went there. 

Fortunately, we arrived at "The Dog House" at a down time and were served quickly. As we waited for our order to be prepared, more and more folks arrived at this is a local favorite.


 

Alice, Tim and Clark as server takes our order


The man taking our order appeared to be new at his job. When he went to write down our order, he had no pen. To expedite things, Clark handed over his pen for the job.  Once the order was written down, I reminded Clark about his pen. Retrieving it seemed to be an impossibility. One group of folks after another appeared to place orders, and Clark's pen was getting a lot of use. 

Clark is very possessive of his pen. I knew he wanted it back, so I dug in my purse and found the one I carry. When there was a brief lull, I offered the server a trade - Clark's pen for mine! I figured if I did not make the sacrifice, we would be there for a very long time waiting. 


The menu contains many ways to order hotdogs!


With Clark's pen securely in his pocket and the food in carry-out containers, we made our way back to "Blue Sky" to eat lunch. To my dismay, the tide had risen and mounting "Blue Sky" was now even more challenging than before. I was not sure that I had either the leg or the arm strength to pull myself on board. With encouragement from my husband and friends, I gave it the old college try and managed to hoist myself up to once again climb over the railing.

Having gotten on, I told Alice that I might now be a permanent fixture on their boat as it was unclear as to whether or not I would ever be able to dismount. I had no idea when I signed up for boating that I would have to be a gymnast / mountain climber! 

Clark ate the Mahi Mahi sandwich and I had the Lobster Roll. Both were delicious. All too soon we had to say our goodbyes to get underway with plans of arriving in Vero Beach in good light. Perhaps we will see Alice and Tim again this summer as they make their way home to Massachusetts.

Needless to say, I managed to get off their boat. Clark pulled on the "dismount rope" to get the boat as close to the dock as possible. I climbed over the railing and dismounted the boat backwards stepping the long way down to the dock. It seems like I am always thanking God for my long legs!

Tim walked with us back to our dinghy and helped push us off on our way.  Surprise! The winds had picked up while we were on shore. We had a wet ride back to "Sunset Delight". Since the area is a "no wake zone", Clark could not get the dinghy up on plane to reduce the splash. As a result, waves crashed over the side of the dinghy showering all with salt water. I turned my back to the waves and protected my handbag from the saltwater. 

When we reached "Sunset Delight", Clark made a pass at pulling up along side. I was ready to stand up and grab SD's railing when we got close, but with the wave action, I wanted to be able to grab hold without stretching out, and that was not possible. We just were not close enough to grab hold of SD and had to make another pass. Fortunately Clark was at the wheel and not me or we would still be out there playing tag with the mischievous "Sunset Delight" who was happy to play "Catch Me if you can!"

As we practically flew by her side, Clark managed to grab onto "Sunset Delight". He desperately worked to get a line on before we once again shot past. Meanwhile, I had as much of a hold on SD as I could manage (not much) as I tried with the other hand to tie a line from the dinghy's bow to SD. Then, with the dinghy tied roughly in place, I managed to climb onto SD and help retie lines where they belonged.

We worked as a well-established team to get the dinghy up on the flybridge and secured in the wind so that we could get underway to Vero Beach. We were wet with saltwater as was the dinghy. We left the dinghy cover off to let things dry out and got underway. Phew!

With only 28 nm to go, we had a relatively short ride to Vero Beach. We texted our friends, Cathy and Franklin, the ETA of 4:45 once we had an idea of arrival time. They met us at the dock to help us tie up. The folks that own this private dock are not at home presently. However, they are letting someone else use their dock, so we have a boat tied up next to us even though it is not the usual one.

Greg and Lara on the Kadey-Krogen next to us are getting ready to leave for the Bahamas soon. After introductions, I threw some cheese and crackers on a plate, and Lara brought over melon and prosciutto, and the six of us had a quick and impromptu docktails on the back of our boat.

27 March 2023
no boat travel

I texted with my friend JoAnn this morning to find out how she was enjoying the Bahamas, and she said they were leaving today to start their journey home to Michigan. Knowing that they were flying into Fort Lauderdale and driving from there to Michigan, Clark suggested I offer them a night's stay on our boat before they continued on their way. We left it open with finger's crossed as to whether or not they would be able to stop in for a visit. 

Meanwhile, Cathy and Franklin had invited us to their house for dinner this evening. When I told Cathy that we might have overnight guests on the boat, she graciously told me to invite them to join the dinner party. Cathy had met JoAnn and the dog Sammy at Marlin Bay when C & F visited us there a few weeks ago. 

I gave it a 50/50 probability that JoAnn and Jim would say yes to our invite. Either they would be travel weary and glad of a place to stay relatively close to Fort Lauderdale, or they would want to get some distance behind them on their way to Michigan. We wouldn't know until they landed in Fort Lauderdale what they would decide to do.

Meanwhile, I did laundry in the morning and Cathy took me out food shopping to restock my freezer and fridge. Fresh fruit and vegetables are always on the list. Since I don't know when I will next see a food store, I stocked up such that it is a hazard to open my freezer door!

When their plane landed in Fort Lauderdale, I got a phone call - "We're on our way to see you!" Yay! I let Cathy know there would be 6 for dinner instead of 4. JoAnn and Jim arrived with their dog Sammy for the night at 4:30. They did a drop and run as they put their overnight bags on our boat. Almost immediately we left to go to Cathy's house for the evening as the dinner party was set to start around 5:00.

We could not believe our eyes when we saw the food spread that Cathy had put out for us, and that was just the appetizers! 




Even though it is still only March, the weather here is hot and humid - up around 90 something Fahrenheit. Eating alfresco did not turn out to be a great option, so we dined inside. Cathy sets a lovely table complete with real flowers and great cuisine. We had a wonderful night and lively discussion.


Clark and Jim 


Clark and Sammy


Every time we took our eyes off Sammy, she decided she would try to sneak onto the furniture. They let her get away with it outside (see above picture), but indoors, we kept telling her no. She did not like that rule at all. Eventually she jumped up on a leather armchair and defiantly waited to be told to get down. Cathy mouthed "it's okay" and so we let her stay there. Naughty girl!


"What do you mean I can't be on the sofa?"

The meal turned out to be a veritable feast with multiple, delectable courses including homemade NY cheesecake or Key Lime pie for dessert.  


Franklin, Cathy, JoAnn, Jim, Ev
and good food


Franklin, Clark, JoAnn, Jim, Ev
and a pretty centerpiece

The party broke up at 9:00. Jim, JoAnn, and Sammy were exhausted from their travels having started their day at 6:30 in the morning. I had the beds all made up and ready, so we quickly said our goodnights after returning to our boat for the night.


28 March 2023
no boat travel

We are in no rush to head home to the cold and decided to enjoy Vero Beach a while longer. We enjoyed breakfast onboard with JoAnn, Jim, and Sammy before they left in their car to make their way towards Michigan. JoAnn said, "I need one more picture before we leave."


Clark, Ev and Sammy

We walked them to their car, and Clark said, "We need one more picture before you leave!"


JoAnn, Sammy, and Jim
in their car

My ankle has been complaining at me the last couple of days. It may or may not be related to the gymnastics of getting off "Blue Sky".  Regardless, I felt today was a perfect day to stay inside and off my feet to work on blog entries. It is once again 90 and humid. 

Clark on the other hand decided today was a good day to wash the salt off the boat. He took a brief break around 4:00 to go with Franklin to a store to buy zincs for the boat; otherwise, he spent all afternoon outside working hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment