Thursday, December 2, 2021

2021: Marathon marinas

1 December 2021
Depart: Marathon anchorage 2:00
Arrive: Marlin Bay Resort in Marathon 2:10
Distance: < 1 nm
Conditions: 15 kt wind, sunny, cool breeze

For some, unknown-to-me, reason, Clark was up early enough today to see the sunrise this morning.




Marlin Bay Marina had told Clark not to arrive before 2:00 and to be in before 5:00. With no rush to get anywhere (for a change), I decided to sleep in and then relax and read while enjoying breakfast. At 9:00 I told Clark to "shoo" when he came by to tell me he wanted to drop the dinghy and go visiting at Faro Blanco. I was 94% complete on my edge-of-the-seat historical novel, and I was darned if I was going to jump up and run just then.

Clark texted some folks at Faro Blanco and found that 10:00 would be a good time to visit. By then I had completed my reading and was ready to partake in a trip to shore. We spent two and a half, fun hours ashore visiting with the folks on "La Cigale" and "Morning Star II". While we were there, a fellow Faro Blanco boater stopped by with her motorized scooter. 

Much to Anne's dismay, Mel decided to try it out.




After he gave it a go, Wendy decided she wanted a turn!





Wendy working the power scooter while 
Ella watches

When Mel was done with the scooter, Mia found a new way to entertain us!




She put the same purple bow in my hair briefly. Thankfully I did not have to see what I looked like as Clark missed the picture!

Later, when Clark walked up to the restroom, he found a familiar Marathon sight.





When he came back from the restroom, Ella was ready and waiting as Clark had told her she could drive our dinghy! She had her boating license in hand and was raring to go.


Some basic instruction before they go


That-a-way!

They stopped by to say hello to the folks on "Yasmine Anne" after enjoying a wild ride in the Bay. Ella was happy to drive fast! 

Mia did not want to go the first time Ella went out. She had a dog, Pippa, she wanted to walk. When Ella and Clark returned from their outing, Mia was ready to climb aboard.


Ella and Mia - but where's Clark?


Oh, Here he comes!

Clark is so good and patient with kids. This summer he spent time with our two oldest granddaughters showing them how to operate the dinghy, the rowboat, the kayaks, and even the "big" boat.

When they got back from the second dinghy outing, I was standing on Mel's swim platform with my life jacket on ready to leave. It was lunch time and folks had things to do. I practically had to drag Clark away! 

We sat on our boat at anchor relaxing, eating lunch, reading, ... Just before 2:00 Clark called Marlin Bay on the radio and said we were ready to come in. They told us to wait about 45 minutes and then they would be ready for us. I went back to working on my computer puzzle. Ten minutes later they called to say we could come now.  Yippee! 

Clark told the guys at the marina he would text them when we were heading in. They replied that he need not bother as they could see us and watch our arrival! We had the anchor up at 2:00 and by the time I had my lines in place, we were already pulling into the marina. 

When we pulled in, we found not one, not two, but four strong dockhands ready to help us dock. In the open we had wind and current. Clark said that as he entered the marina he had the boat angled, "crabbing", as we came in. Fortunately, all that seemed to die down at the slip, and we backed in with ease. Of course having 4 men holding the lines and guiding us surely helped.

We took care of business right after docking. Clark went to check in. By the time he came back, the guys were back with the equipment to do a pump-out of our holding tank at our slip. I packaged up two full bags of garbage - another dockhand came by and offered to take that from me. Honestly, their greeting made me feel like royalty. 

After we got those basic chores out of the way, Clark grabbed the hose to fill our near-empty water tank. He thought about filling it at Marineland and decided to pass. Then he meant to fill it  at the dock in Vero Beach; he forgot. We never even thought about it at the dock in Pompano Beach as we were too busy talking. Those water tank meters were reading almost empty by the time we pulled into Marlin Bay. 

Around 5:30 I decided that I wanted to walk up to the marina buildings and find a restroom. Clark decided to come with me but was not quite ready as he was in the middle of some task or another. While I waited for him, I watched the sun set over Faro Blanco. We can see the lighthouse from here!




The giant X in the sky is nearly over the lighthouse.
X must mark the spot!


By then Clark was ready to walk with me to take a tour of the grounds. We found a head. We strolled past the pool. Some of the pool lounge chairs are big enough to be queen-sized beds. They are covered in bright red fabric. No wonder the rules say no lying on chairs without a towel underneath. I assume that is to keep the sunscreen off the material!

Continuing on our walk, we went into the Club House where they have a couple of tables of children and adult games that can be signed out overnight, a jigsaw puzzle underway, and a big screen television. Upstairs, we found the fitness center and more restrooms. I thought this was the Captain's Lounge, but no, they have that in yet another building. We found that building. Inside there, they have a poker table complete with chips as well as television and seating.

I reminded Clark that time was getting on, and we walked back towards the boat. The sky at 6:15 was way prettier than the sunset earlier. We had lots of photo ops, and Clark and I were both busy taking pictures.

Sunset views at Marlin Bay in Marathon ...







No comments:

Post a Comment