Friday, May 15, 2020

2020: New Bern, NC provisioning

14 May 2020
No boat travel

We had a list of chores to be completed today. Ralph and Diane graciously offered their assistance with anything we needed. When we left yesterday, Diane offered to cook breakfast for us, so we arrived early for a home-cooked, hot breakfast. Delicious!

When I climbed into the dinghy to go to Ralph's house, I brought two big bags of laundry with me as well as my reusable grocery bags for a trip food shopping. After breakfast, I got the laundry going. Clark went back to the boat and removed the empty propane tank to bring over to be refilled. He had some phone calls to make. With no sun and no travel today, he ran the generator for an hour to feed "juice" to the batteries.

Still full from breakfast, we headed out at noon to do errands. Diane drove me to the food store while Ralph took Clark to get propane. We all had our masks with us for our various jobs. Ralph found a place where Clark could get the stereo RCA cable he needed. When they were out, they picked it up. The bad news ... since the vendor custom-made the cables, he charged an outrageous price for the end result. The good news ... the stereo system is now fully functional and that item is off the "to do" list.

When we got back from shopping, I had Clark take the groceries and me directly back to the boat so I could stow the frozen food I bought. Most of what I bought today fell into the fresh fruits and vegetables category. The fridge is once again packed with nutritious goodies. We hope this will get us all the way back to NJ.

Sunset Delight, floating in Fairfield Harbour at anchor, always draws attention from the local residents. We have had several folks offer that we can stay as long as we like so they can continue to admire our boat. One couple, Jenny and Mike, recognized our boat from the Seven Seas Cruising Association, SSCA, GAM that we attended last year.

They contacted Ralph who gave Clark the phone to talk to them. After a while, they decided to come for a visit. Once again, we sat on the screened-in porch at safe distances to chat until folks went their separate ways for dinner.

Ralph had a treat in mind for our dinner tonight. He used a Sous Vide to cook our steaks and then put them on the grill to sear them. They came out perfectly medium rare, very tender, and delicious. Diane added roasted potatoes and a salad, and we had a feast! I have added a Sous Vide to my research list to see if I might like to purchase one for myself.

Besides spending time with Ralph and Diane, we enjoyed time with Ralph's dog - Chewy. He's such a sweetie!


A distracted Chewy 

Since we planned to leave in the morning, Clark reminded me that we needed to get back to the boat with some daylight left to stow the dinghy. As Clark pulled on the dinghy cover to tighten the straps, he heard a sound. "Did you hear that?" "No," I replied. "Something ripped!" he said. He looked and found a section about 18" long where stitches in a seam had ripped out to leave a nice big hole in the cover.

I told him to take it off so I could repair it. Thus, at 8 o'clock at night, I pulled out my sewing machine and sewed the seam. The longest part of the job was threading the machine. Very quickly, I handed the repaired cover to Clark who took it up and put it in place. After that, I still had the laundry to put away and the non-perishable groceries to stow. It was non-stop all day long.

With everything going on, Clark still managed to capture a sunset picture in the midst of one of his many trips back to Sunset Delight in the dinghy.


Sunset at Fairfield Harbour near New Bern, NC








No comments:

Post a Comment