Sunday, March 1, 2020

2020: End of February Happenings in Marathon

22 February 2020 
Sunset Celebration at Banana Bay

The 11th Annual "Loopers" Sunset Celebration was held at Banana Bay Marina. Regardless of the windy conditions, given the crowd, it appeared to be a more popular event this year than last. Of all the people attending, Clark and I only recognized a handful of people. "La Cigale", "Leap of Faith" and "Daybreak" attended as well as Rene from "Zoey's Adventure".


Live Band - "Four Sheets to the Wind"
Windy and Choppy Day
The Wilson Family at the Sunset Celebration




23 February 2020

On Sunday, Clark disappeared for a majority of the day to work with Jeff on "Mystic Gem" to address some battery-related issues. While he was away, I pulled out my sewing machine and made a holder for all of the various remotes we have related to the television.




Then I pulled out my paints and played at some artwork.







At 4:30, we had a date to walk to Marathon Marina to visit our friend Don and the crew on "Mariah".


Don, Cathy, Franklin, and Ev on "Mariah"



Marathon Marina has a reputation of having great sunset views. These are the ones Clark took while visiting there ...




View of 7-mile bridge at sunset



Sadly, as the day progressed, I realized that I was sinking fast. Clark hasd been coughing and sneezing for the past week, and it finally hit me. I spent the next two days blowing my nose and sleeping. We missed several planned activities as a result.

24 February 2020

On Monday I planned to attend the sea-glass art party hosted by Yasmine of "Yasmine Ann". Afterwards, we were scheduled to go out to dinner with Mike and Cheryl from "Amor ..." We had to cancel on both! I sent Clark out to take pictures of some of the art to see what folks created at class.







Since I was out of commission, Clark wandered around to see what was happening on the other side of the marina and found a bunch of folks cracking coconuts and drinking coconut milk.


Mia and Anna May

Ella
Jasmine

The Wilson Gals

25 February 2020

Once again, on Tuesday, I spent the day lounging and sleeping. At 4:00, Faith had a "Mexican Train Dominoes" party planned up at the restaurant. Later, we planned to meet "Daybreak" at
the Marathon Steak and Lobster House. I had to beg off on all of it!

Clark was out and about and captured a picture of Bobby Hall at the top of his mast on "Nauti Girl".




Later, Bobby posted a picture on FaceBook that he had taken from the top of the mast looking across the marina.


Faro Blanco at Sunset

26 February 2020

Every year, the end of February sees some boats leaving the marina. Today, we had two boats leave that we waved goodbye to. The predicted wind drove them away a little early to get a better weather window than if they left at the end of the month.


"La Cigale" leaving Faro Blanco


"Belle" leaving Faro Blanco

After watching our friends leave, Clark and I walked back to our boat and prepped to take her out for a maintenance run. We had a lovely, hour-long ride before the northerly winds kicked up and brought a chill to the air and turbulence to the water.


Faro Blanco before the winds kicked up the water!



27 February 2020

Because we greatly appreciate all that the staff at the marina do for us, Ann organizes a Staff Appreciation Pot Luck dinner at the end of February every year to acknowledge their efforts on our behalf. At tonight's event, we learned that Devon will be leaving the staff in just a couple of weeks. She will be missed!



Faro Blanco Staff (and Mel)

Cora (the reason Devon is leaving)
enjoying that sweet cake!

The assembled crowd!

After our pot luck dinner, Eric came to our boat and brought his guitar. The guitar is new to him, and Clark is showing him some technique and teaching him some theory. I snuck away with my current novel to let them practice without me watching them.



28 February 2020

Sandy, "L'Attitude Adjustment", and I went out for a girls' day of shopping and lunch. We left at 10:00 and did not return to the marina until almost 3:30. Sandy drove, and along the way to lunch, she stopped at a variety of places where we could browse art displays, gift shops, and food markets.


Trap Sculpture at Visitor's Center 

Sandy gave me a choice of places to eat; Mangrove Mama's sounding intriguing, so we stopped there for lunch.





Our view during lunch
Unfortunately, Clark did not have as fun a day as I did as he stayed on the boat and worked on taxes. He was as grumpy as a bear with a sore head when I got back. Tax time is never any fun.

29 February 2020 -- Leap Year!!

We had a very busy day today. Thankfully, even though I still had some congestion issues, I finally felt like myself and could fully enjoy the day. To start the day I jumped into Sandy's car with AC, "Hour Plan", for a very quick trip to the local farmer's market. I got lucky today as they had "ugly fruit" available. I bought that once before for Clark, and he enjoyed it. They finally had it again, so I grabbed a couple for him.

Shortly after we got back, I grabbed my stuff to go out with Beverly and Dave, "Amelie", for a trip to the Big Pine Flea Market. Clark said he was there once in the past, but I had never been there and had heard about it for years.


Evelyn at the Big Pine Flea Market

They even had landscaping supplies!
A palm tree for my boat??

The flea market entrance

Vegetable stand at Big Pine Flea Market
(Beverly surveying the goods!)

After touring the stalls at the big flea market (we picked up a couple of small items), Dave drove us to Boondock's to check out the smaller market available there. I resisted buying too much today, but I found gourmet cookies here that I just had to buy! Sinful indeed!




Miniature Golf at Boondock's
(we did not play -- just admired the "waterfall")

After we left Boondock's, Dave drove us to the Square Grouper for lunch. They serve delicious fish there! I had a very difficult time deciding between grouper and snapper! I decided on snapper -- the waitresses favorite!


Fish tank at Square Grouper

"Jellyfish" lamp at the Square Grouper

When we got back to the boat mid-afternoon, Clark took off to go work with Dan on his boat to investigate some electrical-type problem. I decided to take advantage of the empty washers up at the laundry room. Afterwards I worked on some puzzles - Sudoku and such to pass the time. 

At 7:00, Clark had been gone for over 4 hours, and I had still no idea when to expect him. Starving, I dug out some food and made myself a sandwich for dinner. He finally showed up around 8:00 or so. Fortunately, I had a leftover casserole to heat up for his dinner. Afterwards, we watched the movie "Blindside" while I updated the Blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment