Friday, January 13, 2017

Boat Provisioning and Training Sessions

1/11/17 to 1/13/17

One would think that two cars full of supplies would be sufficient to provision the boat, but alas, that turned out not to be the case.

Of course we needed to buy groceries. I got a lunch out and one more restaurant dinner on Tuesday because “Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard” was quite beyond bare. We got the lunch special at the Publix supermarket. Instead of $5.99 for a half a sub each, we could share a whole sub for the same price. The only catch was that we both had to get the same meats and cheese. For a “free” lunch, I decided I could eat what Clark ate which meant turkey on whole wheat instead of ham on whole grain – disappointing but edible. Publix provides a dining area, so we could eat right there and then do our grocery shopping.

I only wanted to buy a few essentials and seriously shop on another day when I had a grocery list, but Clark wanted to stock up. I guess dinner out three nights in a row is more than he can handle. On my aisle-by-aisle trip through the grocery store, I picked up a family pack of chicken breasts. When we got to the checkout, the clerk said, “These are buy one get one, so you need to go get another.” Knowing the chicken was at the furthest point away from the cash register and that I had already picked up the family pack, I politely declined the offer, but she and the bagger both insisted that I needed to go get the free chicken. I left Clark checking out and made the trek across the store. I hadn’t noticed on the first package, but the second one I picked up showed a price of around $22 – quite a savings! Thankfully this new boat has a full-sized refrigerator and freezer, so I can actually store that much chicken!

Besides the food provisioning, we came up with a list of other items we had either forgotten to bring or didn’t know we needed until talking to the boat broker (John). John came to visit us and give us training sessions on each of three consecutive days – Wednesday through Friday. Each time he came Clark had a list of questions that he had compiled while exploring the boat and reading through the stack of manuals that come with a boat this complex. The first night on board, just turning on the lights turned out to be a significant challenge. I looked and looked and could not find a light switch for the pilot house. Later, I noticed the lights on in there and asked Clark where the switch was. His response, “… the obvious place”. I have yet to see this obvious light switch though, to be honest, I have not looked for it a second time.

Clark was fascinated by the lights in the cockpit. He found that they never completely turn off with the dimmer switch. The work around he found is to turn off the circuit breaker for the salon lights which has this cockpit lighting on it as well. That works well until we need to see in the salon area at night! He found that out himself when he tried to turn on a light in the salon in the evening, and it didn't work!

On Thursday, Clark took a break from the boat to go in search of an immediate care medical provider. Right after we got back from Colorado, we both got sick with a cough and congestion. That was ten days ago. Although I still have a bit of congestion, mine eventually, mostly went away. Clark had asked if I thought he should find a doctor, but given I was getting progressively better, I thought he would be fine. By Thursday morning we both knew this was not the case. He sounded awful – hacking and coughing.

I have no idea what the doctor thought was wrong with Clark’s health, but he must have thought it pretty serious. He gave Clark a shot of something there in the office and then prescribed a chest x-ray and four different medications. When I saw his stack of pills, I called him a “walking medicine cabinet”. He now needs a personal secretary to schedule his pill taking. I cannot believe how complex the schedule is for one of them – it changes every day for five days regarding how many pills to take and when to take them – with dire consequences of side effects should the patient not adhere to the precise schedule.  

Later that day, the broker came by as promised to go out with us on the boat just to get a feel for how it handles. We did not go too far. Clark did most of the driving. Thankfully he did not take the medication that said in bold print “do not operate heavy machinery while taking this medication”. I would say the boat qualifies as “heavy machinery”.

Clark did well handling the boat and even gave me the controls for maybe 5 minutes on a straightaway. Then he asked me what I thought. I’m not sure what revelation he was expecting. I told him, “It drives like a boat.” I am sure I would be a lot more intimidated by it if I had to steer it in close quarters. When we got back to the slip, Clark backed her in like a pro, and then since he wanted to “play with the dinghy” later, he turned it around and docked bow in.

As the mate, I have a lot to learn too. I paid close attention to the instructions on how to drive the boat. The controls are nothing like what we had on Sea Moss, and Clark said they are very sensitive. The lever for Forward/Neutral/Reverse easily slides into reverse from forward (a definite no-no) if the driver is not very careful when aiming for the neutral position. Of course this boat has a totally different set of navigation systems than either of us are used to. We had Simrad on Sea Moss; now we have Raymarine.

Mostly I drive the boat when Clark needs to visit the “head” or he needs to check on something. I remember being near terrified when I thought I was going to have to take Sea Moss into a lock while on our Great Loop trip. I can only imagine my level of terror if I have to do anything even slightly complicated with this one!

This new boat is nominally 17 feet longer than our old one – 35 versus 52 feet. In actuality, this vessel is 57 feet long overall – that’s a lot of boat. Where Clark, sitting at the helm, could hear me just about anywhere I stood on Sea Moss, I now have to position myself within hearing range. Thanks to my son and his wife, we do have radios for communication on board. I expect them to get a lot more use on Sunset Delight.

With a bigger boat, the lines are fatter (3/4” instead of 5/8”), longer, and heavier. The fenders are bulkier. I could see the swim platform on Sea Moss when standing on the top deck. Neither Clark nor I can see the swim platform on Sunset Delight from up there. I will need to be below and be his eyes to tell him how close he is to the dock as he comes in. With Sea Moss, he just knew.

In the process of moving onto the boat, we compiled a list of non-food items we needed. The broker, John, recommended that I go shopping in Vero Beach instead of Fort Pierce since Vero Beach has a better selection of stores. I left today (Friday) before 11:00 and didn’t get back to the boat until after 4:00. I went to Michael’s, Bed Bath and Beyond, Lowes, CVS, Home Depot, West Marine and Walgreens. I haven’t tallied up my total cost of my shopping spree, but I am sure it’s not pretty.

I am not a shopper by nature. Some folks love to shop; I would be very happy to forgo this activity. First I had to find each of these stores and then I had to navigate within them. At least for the former, I had GPS to assist. Once in the stores, especially Lowes and Home Depot, I was on my own and inevitably found myself at the wrong end of the store whenever I asked a clerk where something was stocked!

While I was trudging up and down the aisles of stores, Clark was learning how to deploy and use our new dinghy. We have a crane on this boat to lower the dinghy into the water. He had to learn the idiosyncrasies of that procedure, and then he went out for a ride. We had a 4 HP motor on our old dinghy. The outboard on this one is more than ten times that! Clark said it goes “scary fast” when opened up to top RPM. Sorry I missed that ride; sounds like it might have been fun.

After our three days of instruction and the broker patiently addressing all of Clark’s questions, we are now on our own. I am very glad we went out once with the broker as it did take the edge off the nervousness of the first time out. I’m just thankful that I am not the captain!

Tomorrow we have a diver coming to scrub the bottom of the boat. Sitting at dock for the past few months, it has grown a green beard on the bottom. We are also expecting someone to come with some touch-up paint to cover a couple of nicks on the bow of the boat as well as the woman who took care of the boat for the previous owners. The painter shows up first at 8:00, so that means an early morning for us.

Things are slowly starting to come together. We are getting things in order and stowed in a more organized manner. As we get more familiar with the boat, we find better places to “hide” things. I am more than a bit worried that we will “hide” things so well they won’t be seen again for months or years. When we first moved on board, for example, I found a place for the vacuum cleaner. Two days later I opened a cupboard and was surprised to find the vacuum there. I expect I may encounter more of that, but it is better to find something unexpectedly than to lose something on the boat forever due to its “perfect” storage place.

One might ask, “Are we having fun yet?” The answer to that question would have to be no. Besides being sick, we have been extremely busy. Neither of us have really had the time yet to sit back, relax and enjoy this experience. One thing for sure, I have no trouble sleeping at night. I pass out almost as soon as I turn the lights out!






No comments:

Post a Comment