Monday, December 28, 2015

Florida: Swimming in the Gulf of Mexico at Calidesi State Park

  
 Day 170
NM Today: 14
NM Total: 3468

Before we could leave Tarpon Springs, we had a number of annoying errands that had to be completed and required a weekday when businesses are open. Our first stop was the post office and that was quick; however, our next stops were anything but quick. After mailing our letters, we drove to the tax collector’s office.

Since we plan on staying in Florida for more than 90 days, Florida requires a “Sojourner’s Permit”.  As far as I can tell this permit is a temporary boat registration designed to raise income for the state of Florida. When we arrived at the tax collector’s office, we were given a number and told we would have a 20 minute wait. Given the number of people sitting there waiting for their numbers to be called, 20 minutes sounded optimistic to me. The tax collector’s office was a misnomer as people were there for all sorts of services. I saw at least two people working through the process of getting a driver’s license.

Eventually our number was called. The clerk who worked our request seemed to have no clue how to process a sojourner’s permit. Besides taking forever to complete the online form she needed to fill out, she kept getting up and walking up to the door as well as talking to other clerks about other customers. I think we were there at least an hour before we got our registration sticker for the boat and left for our next stop – Enterprise.

Our last stop, returning the rental car was quick and painless; however, we needed a ride back to the boat as Google predicted it would take over an hour to walk back. Enterprise was busy with pickups and drop-offs, and their driver was AWOL. Apparently he had dropped his cell phone in his pool recently, so they had no way to contact him to determine an ETA. I thought it quite convenient that the Enterprise office got me to say that I was ‘completely satisfied’ with my Enterprise experience before they made me wait 45 minutes for a ride back to the marina.

By the time we finally pulled in our lines and got underway, it was already noon. Fortunately we did not have far to go today as the captain had picked something nearby as our destination – Calidesi State Park. I asked Clark how he decided on that destination. He said he heard about it through the AGLCA forum, and that it sounded like a pretty and quiet site.

Back on the open water - following the causeway to the park!

Welcome to Calidesi Island State Park

Calidesi Island State Park, Florida

When we came into the marina at the park, the wind was gusty and docking was a bit challenging. Since the docking is first come, first serve, we did not have a reservation. We tied up to a T-dock (the end of a floating dock) temporarily so Clark could go check in and find out a slip assignment. While he was gone, I pulled up the Calidesi State Park website so I could learn what the park had to offer. I happened to notice the rate schedule which stated that slips cost $1 per foot, but the T-dock space costs $2 per foot.

When Clark came back, he told me that we could stay right where we were, we did not have to move. Well that was good news until I asked him the fee charged. They charged him the $2 per foot rate. I asked him why we were paying twice as much as we needed to and he said the folks in the office told him the slips had an issue. I decided to challenge the office – why charge us twice as much if it is their problem?

When I spoke to the man at the desk, he said he let us stay on the T-dock for “our convenience”. I pointed out that Clark had been told it was due to the slips having problems, so then he said he let us stay there for safety reasons due to the winds. I continued to push for either a slip assignment or a cheaper rate at the T-dock. Finally he said we could move to a slip and gave me half my money back. Hurray! Success! When we moved the boat, Clark backed the boat into the slip neat as anything – so much for high winds.

By the time we got the boat tied up for the second time, both Clark and I were hot and sticky. Clark suggested we take a walk to the beach. I was not sure what that entailed but decided to change into my swimsuit in case it meant getting wet. As we walked across the white sands to check out the waves in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, Clark and I noticed one very amazing thing. Even though the sun was out in full force and shining directly onto the beach, the sand was cool to our toes. We both expected hot, scorching sand.

I went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico! After two false starts, I made it into the water. The first time I walked to the shoreline, I had my hat, shirt and sunglasses on. I stuck my feet in the water to see how it compared to the pool. Definitely colder than the pool. While I was exploring the water temperature, Clark was already in the water and playing in the waves. That motivated me to give it a try. I walked back to dump my stuff and came back again.

I took about five steps in and quickly got back out again. Whereas the beach was soft and friendly to my feet, the area under the waves had sharp objects that I could not see to avoid them. Back out of the water I went and found my water shoes and then finally I was able to go in and play in the waves with Clark. As I paddled around, Clark pointed out that the waters of the Gulf were definitely warmer than the pool. No way!

It was not until I got out of the water that I noticed the purple warning flag with a yellow warning flag. A purple flag says that dangerous water creatures are in the area. That turned out to be stingrays. The yellow flag indicated rough surf and potentially dangerous waters for swimming. Perfect!

After our dip in the Gulf, we changed out of our swimsuits and went for a hike along the nature trail. Multiple signs advised us to stay on the trail – some to protect the environment, and some to protect us. I saw several signs that warned that rattlesnakes populate the island.

The nature trail

Sabal Palm Trees and Mangroves

The state park prides itself on preserving the natural beauty of Florida. Where so many other areas in Florida have been taken over by buildings and roads, the park has preserved its beauty by providing designated walking paths to protect the natural flora and fauna.

Most of what we saw consisted of Sabal Palm trees aka “Cabbage Palm”. We walked far enough along the trail to get a feel for what the area looked like but then turned back. Clark wanted to get sunset pictures. The length of the trail if we completed the walk would preclude seeing the sunset since we were surrounded by vegetation. We made an abrupt about face and headed for the beach.

We got there in time to get a few good sunset pictures!

Sunset on Calidesi Island


No comments:

Post a Comment