Tuesday, November 12, 2019

2019: Arrival at Vero Beach

8 November 2019
Depart: Eau Gallie Anchorage, Melbourne, FL 7:35
Arrive: Vero Beach Private Dock 12:05
Distance: 33 nm

Concerned about a rain storm system predicted to move in during the afternoon hours, we got up and out of the anchorage early today. The beauty of rising early is to be rewarded by a beautiful sunrise. Looking out over the anchorage, we got to see the sun rise and nearby "Home Too" floating at anchor. This is our last anchorage to be shared with "Home Too" as Vero Beach will be the end of their intracoastal travels for the time being.


Eau Gallie Causeway Bridge at Sunrise


"Home Too" at Eau Gallie Anchorage

For a short travel day, today felt like a very long day on the water. At one point I asked Clark if he had taken any pictures, and he said, "No, there's nothing photo-worthy." The only remotely interesting thing in the water today was a stop sign in the water modified to say "SLOW".


Unusual Slow Speed Marker at Vero Beach


As we came into Vero Beach, Clark captured a few photos of "Home Too" as they arrived at their new home.





When we got to the Vero Beach Marina area, "Home Too" sailed off to find their slip while Clark and I continued on to stay at a friend's private dock. After Cathy and Franklin got settled in, they came to Don's house, where we are staying, with food and we had a pot luck dinner.


9 November 2019
No Boat Travel.

That strong storm we tried to avoid yesterday found us during the wee hours of this morning. Rain poured down and the winds whipped up to an ugly 35 knots. It woke me up. As I heard the winds howling, I thought it was a very good thing that our dock owner told us to tie up to his 3-pole dolphin instead on relying on the dock itself. I felt comfortable that "Sunset Delight" would be just fine, but I worried about "Home Too".

Having been on the boat underway or at anchorages for two days, I needed to get out and get some exercise. I convinced Clark to walk with me to the marina to check out "Home Too" at the marina.


On tree-lined street in Vero Beach, on way
to Vero Beach City Marina

Clark knew exactly where to look for "Home Too" and the boat was snug and secure in its slip with no worries. I did not expect it to have issues; it was a good excuse to get Clark to come for a walk with me.

More interesting than the boats at the marina were the birds fishing at the docks. I will have to wait to hear from my bird expert friends to know what we saw!








I had hoped to convince Clark to walk with me into town to the ice cream store, but he was having none of it. He wanted to get back to the boat to read his email! Seriously!?

Cathy and Franklin, "Home Too", suggested we get together at a local restaurant tonight. They chose "Vinz Wining and Dining".  We gathered at Franklin and Cathy's new house so we could admire their new "digs" and enjoyed martini time and hors d'oeuvres before going out to dinner.


Don, Franklin, Cathy, and Ev
at Vinz Wining and Dining Restaurant



No comments:

Post a Comment