Thursday, November 8, 2018

2018: New Smyrna to Titusville FL

11/8/2018
Depart: New Smyrna Beach Municipal Marina 8:35
Arrive: Titusville Municipal Marina 12:00
Distance: 29 NM

As we traveled for mile after mile of "slow speed" zones along the ICW today, we found ourselves entertained by a number of playful dolphins.


Two dolphins looking at us from under the water

One jumps!

The other gives us "the look" and asks
"Are you watching? You better be!"

We spotted the tail fin of a couple of manatees as well, but when we entered the causeway on the approach to Titusville, we got a real good look at one in particular. Unfortunately, the manatees all dove away before we could get any pictures of them


Entrance to Causeway - apparently manatee heaven

Clark traditional - "Looking down the tracks" shot

When we arrived at the Titusville marina, we were greeted by the dock hand as well as Mike from "Hummingbird", who just happens to be docked next to us once more.


Happy pooch traveling on "Hummingbird"

As soon as we got settled in at the dock, Clark went to check in and came back with our mail package.

This morning when I had my breakfast, I realized I needed to fill a prescription. Fortunately, Titusville has a CVS just .5 miles from the dock. Clark was preoccupied with his mail, so I set off to walk into town on my own to visit the pharmacy. Having been inspired by a post from Mandy about getting out to walk more, I decided to investigate the area near CVS and get some exercise.

I passed Sand Point Park on my way.

Fountain at Sand Point Park in New Smyrna Beach, FL

I got my prescription filled and then headed into the "Old Town" section of Titusville where I found an interesting and free museum. A mural covered one entire wall of the museum showing the town's history from the mid-1800s when fishing, orange growing and tourism made the town popular to the late 1900s when NASA brought in their space influence. The North Brevard Historical Society provided the mural.

Titusville History Mural Part 1 - 1800s

Titusville History Mural Part 2

Titusville History Mural Part 3 - Late 1900s

I found the museum on the small side but interesting none the less.


Control Panel for the Old Max Brewer Bridge

An old safe sat in one corner of the museum. This safe was the first safe used in the Indian River State Bank in 1888. Next it found use in a jewelry store, and then later in 1909, it was hidden in a home in Titusville. After that, for 60 years, it sat in storage in an outdoor shed. Eventually the owner donated the safe to the museum for display.


Safe with a history - note the painted doors on the sides

Display of old tools

Display of old uniforms

After my quick tour of the museum, I strolled down the street to see what stores I could find in the area. I did not have too much success looking for stores but I did find some other interesting sights. I came across the Pritchard House that was built in the Queen Anne style architecture circa 1891. Pritchard, the owner, organized the first bank in Titusville, built the first generator plant which was later sold to Florida Power & Light, and owned a hardware store in town.


Pritchard House c. 1891

I visited the town's Welcome Center. I poked my head in and thought I had the wrong place so did not enter, looked around and decided I had the right place after all and walked in. The welcome center is located in a store that sells / rents bicycles. Surprise!

Walking around town some more, I spied a sign that said "Boar's Head" and thought I had found a place to buy lunch meat. Instead I found a Bread / Bakery and ended up buying scones - not meat! From there I headed towards a food store and got distracted by a yogurt store. I went in for a cold treat. The yogurt store was decorated in a 50s style decor and had a cute display of a Sinclair gas station on exhibit there.

Display at yogurt store

Eventually, I decided I had walked and explored enough and should head back to the boat. Clark had moved inside the boat and turned on the air conditioning, so cool air welcomed me after so much heat and humidity on my walk.

I decided to work on my blog updates. As the sun got lower and lower in the sky, I realized that if I wanted a sunset picture for today's blog, I might have to take the picture myself. Clark was snoozing on the couch and did not look likely to notice the sun dropping in the sky. I took a couple of pictures just in case he slept through sunset.


Late day sun reflecting on the trees and bridge

When I came back in from taking pictures, I found Clark sitting up and moving, so I handed him the camera and sent him to the upper helm to get a good sunset picture.


Sunset at Titusville Marina


No comments:

Post a Comment