Sunday, November 25, 2018

2018: Cape Coral to Punta Gorda FL

11/24/2018
Depart: Glover Bight Cape Coral FL 9:00
Arrive: Punta Gorda Private Dock 2:05
Distance: 39 NM

With a cloudy sky, we had cool traveling today. Both Clark and I put on long-sleeved shirts to stay warm on the fly bridge. Since I had just washed my hair before departing, I had a "hoody" pulled up to keep the breeze off my wet hair.


Cloudy skies at Glover Bight, Cape Coral, FL

As we pulled away from the anchorage, I noticed a pelican perched on top of a channel marker - not moving at all and realized that he was fast asleep. He did not even notice our passing by.


Sleeping pelican on Red #6

As we continued on our way, I told Clark, "Watch out for the traps in the middle of the channel!" He said, "Oh, you mean the coconuts?" So now, in addition to thinking that birds are traps, we have to decide if what we see is a trap or a coconut floating by!


Coconut or Trap??

As we followed the channel markers towards our destination of Punta Gorda, we noticed a boat make a sudden left-hand turn out of the channel for no apparent reason. Just a short distance further along, we discerned his sudden departure. He must have been heading to the floating bait store.


"Drive in" Bait Shop



As we traveled these waters, we found several dolphins who wanted to play in our wake. One decided to put on quite a show for us. Clark managed to capture many of his antics on the camera.



Side float

Back roll

Back float

Jump

Also, along today's ride, we had an encounter with a helicopter. I was in the galley, but later Clark told me we got "buzzed by a copter". Clark saw the pilot taking pictures of us, so he took pictures of the helicopter. He said, "I was his subject, and he was my subject."




We passed by Cabbage Key on our way to Punta Gorda. Right after we passed, we got a real strong smell of "cheeseburgers in paradise". It made me quite hungry!

Although the cool weather was quite pleasant for travel, we had one very annoying problem - Red Tide! My allergies acted up quite nastily, and Clark said he too was sniffing. Fortunately, the problem did not last too long. As we traveled the final stretch of the trip across Charlotte Harbor, we noticed that our sniffing had ceased. Yay!

As we pulled into the channel by the mangroves leading to our friend's house, Clark texted our friend that we were close and received a text back estimating our arrival at 1:30.


Entering Punta Gorda Isles

Boat Ramp at PGI
We rafted, i.e. tied our boat, to our friend's boat at his dock, came inside their house, ate food that Carol put out for lunch, and then talked the rest of the day away. After much debate about what to do for dinner, we decided to go to a seafood restaurant.




Of course I ate way more than I should have. The Jalapeno Hush Puppies that came with my meal surprised me. I thought they would be spicy, but instead they were just plain delicious. They were my downfall for sure because I ate all they gave me.

Afterwards, as we walked through the parking lot back to the car, Clark tried for a picture of the full moon. He took several shots but at night it is hard to get a clear picture.


Hazy Full moon

Jim, Ev, and Carol - all unaware they are caught by the camera

No comments:

Post a Comment