Friday, February 2, 2018

Marathon - Dinner at Porky's

Friday 2/2/2018
No boat travel.

Had I been in New Jersey today, I know I would have rushed this morning to hear what Punxsutawny Phil had to say about the remainder of the winter. Here in Marathon I seem to have lost interest in his predictions. I wonder why? I did check while writing today's blog entry. He did see his shadow so his prediction is 6 more weeks of winter.

I expected to see the sun today, and for the most part, I was disappointed. Then again I really do not like to be very hot, so for me today's weather was pretty much ideal being overcast with a light breeze in the 70s. That sunscreen I put on to start the day turned out to be a total waste however..

Having gone to bed early (for us), we got up early (for us) this morning. Clark planned to jump on the varnishing project first thing but got slightly delayed by talking to Mel about his FM radio. Conditions seemed to be perfect for varnishing, or so we thought until Clark completed the sections he planned to work on, and it started to drip some light rain. Fortunately a light mist is all we saw, and the varnishing job was not impacted.

Mitch said Clark could borrow his van again today, so we took advantage for a quick run to the Home Depot, the post office, and Publix. We wanted to buy something that we could not carry on a bicycle, or else Clark would never even have asked for the keys.

When we got back from our short outing, I walked over to see Faith and Jim to tell them we would like to join them for dinner at Porky's. They had invited us earlier, and we did not give a definite yes at that time. We wanted to check the menu first before committing.

On the way to Faith's boat I noticed a para-sail out in the bay and snapped a picture of the smiley face parachute.


Para-sail is barely visible,
but it has a cute smiley face on the parachute.

While I went to visit Faith, Clark went to return the car keys to Mitch. As it turns out, Mitch and Jen were not at their boat. They were out enjoying the smiley face para-sail. Little did I know when I took the picture that I actually knew the folks enjoying the ride!

To partake of the early-bird special at Porky's we left the marina to get there for 5 o'clock. The restaurant is only about 1/2 mile from the marina and on our side of Route 1. It was an easy 10-minute walk. We met Faith and Jim from Third Degree there along with John and Susan from Nuclear Fishin.






John and Susan ordered mojito cocktails that looked fancy and refreshing. Made with rum, lime, mint, and cane sugar, they looked delicious.


John with a fancy Mojito at Porky's
the tall tan object in the drink is actual sugar cane

Jim, Susan, and Faith at Porky's Restaurant

With a name like Porky's, Clark and I feared they would not have anything on their menu for him to eat since he is allergic to pork. Their online menu proved we had nothing to worry about; however, as Porky's serves ribs and seafood and a whole lot of other foods as well. I ordered the ribs and Clark ordered the seafood. My ribs were cooked to perfection, tasty, and served in a reasonable quantity so as not to be overwhelming.

The guys sat together at one end of the table with the girls at the other end. That worked out well. They talked about boat parts and such, while we talked about grandchildren. Perfect!

When we left the restaurant, we noticed a couple of humorous signs we had not seen on the way in.


Porky's Bayside Restaurant

Porky's advertisement

John and Susan headed to the Municipal Park to the Arts Festival to listen to the musician playing there. The rest of us walked back to Faro Blanco and were pleasantly surprised when we arrived there to find live music by the pool. John, the musician playing tonight, is the one that Clark enjoys listening to so much.


Clark talking to John at Faro Blanco
(Picture compliments of Jim from Third Degree)


At break time, we all left to return to our boats, but when the music started up again, Clark disappeared to go listen. Since I could hear the music from our salon, I listened remotely while updating the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment