Sunday, April 15, 2018

GA: 50s Car Show at Brunswick Landing Marina

Saturday 4/14/2018
Depart: Cumberland Island 8:00
Arrive: Brunswick Landing 12:20
Distance: 33 nm

Oh, what a night! We stayed up later than we should have and woke up way earlier than we wanted. At 5:50 a.m. I got up and used the head. When I flushed, an alarm sounded on the boat. "What the heck is that?" I asked. That got Clark out of bed. "The low-voltage alarm for the battery", he replied. What! We just replaced all our batteries!!!

Clark turned off the refrigerator which seemed to be having trouble starting. He speculated that the fridge tried to start at the same time I flushed and the draw was too much all at once. Who would guess I would have perfect timing while flushing?! No sooner did Clark crawl back into bed than we had another alarm sound throughout the boat.

This time it was an "amber alert"! Clark quickly dismissed that alarm. He is thinking of disabling that alarm on his phone. "After all", he said, "how often will I see the car in question traveling down the waterway?"

With being dragged out of bed so early, Clark was able to grab some amazing sunrise pictures. The only good thing to come out of being woken before 6:00 a.m.


Sunrise at Cumberland Island, Georgia

Sunrise at Cumberland Island, Georgia

With so much unwanted excitement, Clark decided he was up for the day and might as well pull up anchor and get going. Reluctantly, I pulled myself out of bed and got myself dressed to assist. We were underway at 8:00, which is early for us.

You know you are on the ICW when ...


Seagulls chase the boat looking for fish.

Along the way to Brunswick Landing, we passed a flotilla of stand-up paddle boards and kayaks. The number of participants surprised me until I remembered it to be a Saturday.


7 SUP and 8 Kayaks!

With bad weather / heavy rains forecast for Sunday, we needed a place to hunker down until Monday. When deciding where to stay, Clark planned on staying at Morning Star Marina on St. Simons Island. I, on the other hand, assumed we would target Brunswick Landing. I pointed out that I could do my laundry for free at Brunswick. Whether that tipped the scale in my direction, or the fact that two nights at Brunswick Landing would be less expensive than two at Morning Star, Clark made his reservation for Brunswick.

We pulled into Brunswick Landing Marina just after noon. As we passed by Riverfront Plaza, I saw what looked like a Farmer's Market in progress. I hoped we would be able to dock fast enough for me to get there before they closed. Because we planned to stay for two nights and would be here for Sunday's storm, the dock master put us on dock 12. It is an amazingly long walk from dock 12 to the other end of the marina where we had to go to register, and Riverfront Plaza where I had to go to find the farmer's market.


Brunswick Riverfront Plaza
(tall ship in background)

Riverfront Plaza

Clark and I separated - him to register and me to find tomatoes. To my surprise and delight, I found a whole lot more than a Farmer's Market in progress. Normally the farmer's market here shuts down at noon, so I would have missed it on a normal Saturday. Today, however, the town had a special event in progress and the farmer's market stayed open for the additional business brought in by the event.


Puppies and Pin-Ups Event
Brunswick Riverfront Plaza

This "Fabulous Fifties" fund raiser benefited Glynn County "no kill" and "animal rescue". They even had puppies on display. Women, the "pin-ups", dressed in their finest 50's clothing and makeup. The guys brought their cars to show. What an unexpected, fun day!


Farmer's Market  - plants, pies, and vegetables

More veggies to choose from

For the special event, musicians came to play snappy 50s music.


Muscians on the Porch

The pin-up girls dressed in colorful garb to make the day special.


Pin-up Girls. Oh Yeah!

Dressed for Fabulous Fifties

Classic sweater look of the 50s

Although it was fun to see the costumes, I found it more fun to see the cars and trucks on display.


"Grumpy" Chevrolet -
note the matching toy car under the hood

Inscribed on this one ...
"It is Finished!"


Flashy Green Pickup
Pin-ups Posing

Park packed full of old cars and trucks.

It seemed like every make of car found its way to the show.


Chevy Nova

White Cadillac

Complete with dice and Hawaiin Dancer

Old Ford
"Genuine Fords Parts" sign in front


Station Wagon that reminded me of my mom's car

At the end of the show, they had a raffle call and handed out a number of door prizes. We had not purchased tickets so had no hope of winning.


Raffle Call!

With my laundry piled up in the boat's salon awaiting my return, we left as the raffle numbers were called. By then, the majority of the event had concluded, and the band had gone home. We made the long walk back to the boat. Before I did my laundry, however, we took a bike ride into town. Clark needed to mail some letters, so we needed to find the post office. Given the length of time required just to walk to our dock, we figured it prudent to pull out the bikes.

When we returned from the bike ride, with Clark's help, I finally hauled my laundry up to the machines. Given the free part of the equation, I decided to wash sheets, towels, and clothes today. After helping me get started, he took off to see who he could find on the docks. He found two boats he recognized with the owners on board - Daisy and Horizon Chaser.

We saw both Daisy and Horizon Chaser at Marathon last year. Clark talked to Jim  on Daisy. Dan (Horizon Chaser) was busy, however, when Clark stopped by to say hello, so Clark told him to find us at the club house doing our laundry. As we sat waiting for the dryer to finish, Jacquie and Dan came to find us.

I finished folding my laundry and still we continued to talk. Since we (and they) had planned to go out for pizza tonight, I suggested that I get rid of the laundry, and we go to dinner together. Everyone at the marina recommended Fox's Pizza Den, so we went there. The pizza definitely lived up to expectations. We talked and talked and talked and eventually paid the check and made our way back to the marina.

Many boats are leaving here on Monday - ourselves and Horizon Chaser included. Dan, however, plans to leave at the crack of dawn to avoid low tide in Mud River (the name says it all). We will not be out that early! Hopefully we won't find ourselves "bumping" again.

We made it back to the docks just before sunset to say our farewells. With bad weather tomorrow, we all expected to hunker down on our boats and not go visiting.


Sunset at Brunswick Landing, Georgia



Looking down Dock 12 at Brunswick Landing







No comments:

Post a Comment