Sunday, November 22, 2015

Florida: Pensacola (Day 3)

Day 150
No Boat Travel

The Turkey Trot 5K walk / run race started at 8:00 today.  Since we had not pre-registered, Faith from Third Degree and I met at 7:30 to walk up to the starting point. The weather was ideal for a race (from my point of view) not too hot and not too cold.  The sun even came out for a while for the event with a cool breeze to keep it comfortable.  We paid our money for our race spots and each got a t-shirt and our number tags.  The funds raised from the races will be used to provide food to families in need for the holidays.

My Race Tag
The race started at 8:02, and Faith and I completed the race 54 minutes and 28 seconds later.  For a 5K race that translates into a speed of just over three miles per hour.  We were both okay with that as our finishing time since we were not trying to win anything.

Although bread, fruit, and Wild Turkey Punch were available to race participants, Faith and I left the race area immediately after crossing the finish line.  In fact we just kept right on walking. Yesterday Faith suggested we go to The Ruby Slipper restaurant for breakfast after the race, and that is just what we did.  She ordered one of their house specialty Mimosas to go with her breakfast. I went with water!  We enjoyed a delicious breakfast that included Fried Green Tomatoes and great conversation.

Since the farmer's market was happening just at the other end of Palafox Street from where we sat, we decided to walk up there after breakfast to see what we could find in the way of vegetables.  The answer ... not much!  Booths were lined up as far as we could see, but the selection of vegetables was sadly lacking.  The availability of items to buy for gifts as well as an assortment of baked goods appeared endless.

Faith from Third Degree
with the booths from the market lined up down the walkway
Besides items for sale entertainers played instruments and sang some great country / blue grass tunes.

Toe-tapping Fiddle Music at the Market
In spite of the limited choices, I did buy myself some broccoli and green peppers.  I also found a vendor with a large variety of scone flavors.  I bought two of the orange and cranberry variety - my second favorite after the more traditional raisin.  Faith bought herself a lovely bouquet of hothouse flowers including some beautiful lilies.

By the time we got back to our boats, the time was already 11:30.  My Fitbit read 14,000 steps completed and it was not even lunch time yet!  My feet certainly were talking to me after all the walking.  Unfortunately when I got back to my boat, it was very wet.  While I was gone, Clark decided to wash the boat and the job was still in progress.  He told me he hoped I would be gone longer and suggested I go up to the restroom to kill more time.  Well I had already been there, so I ended up standing and waiting for him to complete the job for almost an hour before I could climb on board to sit down and rest my feet.

After lunch I convinced Clark that we should go to the local Publix grocery store to get ready to move to our next stop.  We are leaving here tomorrow (Sunday). Unlike the folks on Jammin Jane, Knot Sew Easy, and Third Degree, we are moving on tomorrow whereas they are all staying here for a full week.  I guess the expression "all good things must end" is true because Clark and I have to go with hopes of finding a crossing window to get across the Gulf before the baby shower trip in December.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the town of Pensacola and the time spent here with our boating friends.

We asked Jim and Faith if they would like to join us for our excursion to Publix, and since they needed to buy groceries too, they came with us.  I called Uber for a ride.  While we waited for the car, Clark wandered around with his camera and came back with a couple of interesting photos.

In 1559 a Spanish expedition of 11 ships and 1500 people came to Florida to form a settlement.

Commerative Plaque

Statue of Spanish Explorer
We both bought a bunch of groceries including supplies to prepare and have our Thanksgiving dinners on the boat come Thursday.  Faith went so far as to buy a turkey.  I decided to opt for chicken as a close proximity and easier boat-cooking option.  I have no idea where we will be for Thanksgiving.  That all depends on that Gulf-crossing weather window and whether or not it actually materializes.  I am assuming for now that the two of us will be on our own for dinner that day.

Besides restocking the fridge, I also ran the laundry through the washer / dryer to get that out of the way as well.  By the time I got all the food put up and the laundry folded and put away, it was already 7:30.  Jane and Ben from Jammin Jane said they would come over at 8:00, so I had one-half hour for us to cook and eat dinner before they arrived. That was the fastest spaghetti dinner I have ever thrown together.

By the time I was done with today's chores on top of this morning's race, I found my Fitbit had recorded 23,044 steps for today!  That is my record.  Man-o-man did my feet hurt.  Those last trips up to the washer / dryer were agonizing with my oh-so-tired feet.

Ben and Jane arrived right at 8:00 as planned and we had a lovely last evening with them before we move on tomorrow.  We thought we might play some cards, but instead we just spent the time getting to know each other better and making some more great memories of our time spent with wonderful people on the Great Loop.


No comments:

Post a Comment