Thursday, January 11, 2018

Little Shark River anchorage in Florida

Monday 1/8/2018
Depart: Marco Island anchorage 11:00
Arrive: Little Shark River anchorage 6:00
Distance: 60 NM

The alarm went off at 7:30 this morning, so we missed today's sunrise by just a bit. As we move south, we see an increase in temperature. The thermometer in the master state room read 62 degrees when we woke this morning. I was happy for a 7 degree increase over yesterday morning - I'll take what I can get! When I poked my head out of the cabin, I was pleasantly surprised to find the air warmer outside the boat than in. Even better!

We set the alarm to wake us early to take care of some business requiring internet before leaving the area for the remote Little Shark River anchorage with no connectivity whatsoever. Clark spent from 8:00 until just before we pulled up anchor on the computer and phone. Since this work is related to the sale of some real estate (not our primary home), the business could not wait until we found internet connectivity again in two-day's time.

We finally pulled in the anchor and got underway at 11:00. When we arrived here yesterday, I noticed a house with an interesting sign on the dock. I saw it again today and had to add it to the blog. I find the grammar appalling, but the message is interesting though a bit ambiguous.

Dock Sign: "It Don't Suck"

As soon as we left Marco Island inlet and entered the Gulf of Mexico, we went on crab trap alert and stayed on alert for over 5 hours without a break. One or both of us had to be watching at all times. In a peculiar sort of way, it helped to pass the monotonous hours on the water.

The whole time out in the Gulf today, I saw no boats other than one sailboat on the horizon.


Sailboat on horizon coming towards us started out as a speck
and got progressively larger.

Before dropping anchor at Little Shark River, we looked around the anchorage area a bit to consider the alternatives and choose our spot. Somewhat surprisingly, the anchorage had no other boaters in it.  Having our pick of spots, we docked somewhat out in the Gulf to avoid anchoring with the mosquitoes further inland. Unfortunately, we had a wind from the east which meant the mosquitoes were blown out to greet us! As soon as we had the anchor down, I saw my first mosquito come into the fly bridge and make a bee-line down the stairs into the cabin! We quick closed up everything and shut ourselves in before any of her friends joined her for a feast on us.

Clark managed to get a sunset picture, but otherwise, we hung out in the cabin - me with a book (love my Kindle) and Clark with his guitar.


Sunset at Little Shark River
(Everglades) Florida




No comments:

Post a Comment