Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Last night in St. Petersburg, FL

Wednesday 1/3/2018
No Boat Travel.

We huddled under our electric blanket this morning to stay warm in bed as we heard rain spattering on the roof of the cabin. When I looked at the thermometer in the salon, it showed the room temperature at 54 degrees. Good thing that on a boat it doesn't take long for the heat to kick in and warm things up.

The rain continued through the morning but then cleared nicely for the afternoon with a touch of sun t cheer the day. On Christmas Eve a local boater, Fred, treated Clark and me to ice cream. Today we walked over to his boat and invited him to join us for a cup of coffee - too cold for ice cream. We decided to go to Frescos just down the street. Since I had not yet eaten lunch, I ordered a burger and fries.

When the meal came, I saw tater tots instead of fries (they ran out of fries!?).  Well, I like fries but I dislike greasy tater tots. I asked that they bring the "veggie medley" instead. Then I bit into my burger and found that it tasted like charcoal since it was so very well done (I did not order well done!). Disgusted and no longer in the mood for a burger, I sent the burger back and asked them to remove the charge from the bill. Fifteen minutes later a waitress shows up at our table with a hamburger and tater tots asking which of us ordered it. I told her I had requested the charge be removed from the bill and had declined the offer to have the burger redone. She took the second plate away. The good news is that Clark and Fred enjoyed the cups of soup they ordered!

After we left the restaurant, we decided to walk through town as we each had errands to run. Clark wanted to take a picture in front of Tony's New York style pizza to prove that you can "have your cake and eat it too!"


Proof you can have NY style pizza in sunny Florida


Fred had a planned visit to his bank, and I wanted to buy some envelopes at CVS. We talked and talked and talked at lunch and then again while we waited for Fred's contact at the bank to be available. By the time we said our farewells outside CVS, it was late afternoon and time for Clark and me to head back to the boat. This was our last foray into St. Pete!

Despite the nasty cold weather that is predicted, our time is up here and we leave St. Petersburg tomorrow morning. We are heading south looking for warmer weather in the Florida Keys. Our first stop will be Venice to visit a couple of Evelyn's friends before continuing further south.




No comments:

Post a Comment