Friday, December 4, 2020

2020: Prep to Depart Jacksonville FL

4 December 2020
No boat travel.

Given the current infectious environment, we decided to forgo a visit to the farmer's market. Having gotten what I really needed at Publix, we had no pressing desire to expose ourselves needlessly. With no further need of the car, we drove to the Enterprise on Cassat Avenue to drop it off. We did not have to enter the building, which made me very happy, as a representative came out to the car almost immediately and checked us off as having returned it. 

We biked the 1.6 miles back to the boat. I realized with the easy ride back that the trip to the car rental place a couple of weeks ago must have been mostly uphill albeit gradual. In comparison, the trip back to the boat was just a relaxing jaunt. We got back to the boat in no time!

We had sun at the car rental place, so I worried about getting a sunburn on the ride back to the boat. I need not have worried! The clouds moved in and we had a cool breeze on the return trip. We had full cloud cover by the time we lifted the bikes back onto the boat. At 5:00 the predicted rain arrived.





I took some time to relax this morning before returning the car. I paid a bill and read some, so by the time we got back to the boat and got settled, it was noon already. I had a list of chores for the afternoon, so after lunch, I got busy with my tasks. First and foremost, I needed to get caught up on laundry. With three loads and only two marina washers, I figured it would be an all-afternoon job. 

Having started the first two loads, I came back to the boat and ran the vacuum cleaner. The timer for the washers went off before I finished vacuuming, so I took a brief hiatus to run up and start the third load of wash and throw the other two in the dryers. Afterwards, I returned to the boat and completed the job with the vacuum cleaner then cleaned out the dirt collector and filter on the vacuum. Cough, cough, choke, choke! So must dust - the boat must have been filthy! 

After dumping the dust into the garbage, I took the garbage up to the marina dumpster. Since we will be anchoring out, garbage is a concern, so we have to start with a "clean slate". By the time I got all that taken care of, it was time to get the third load in the dryer and fold the two loads coming out. 

After folding the last of the laundry, sorting it, and stowing it, I got caught up in putting away some of the additional items I brought back to the boat from New Jersey. Basically, I have too many hobbies! To make space for all of it, I had to juggle some items around from one shelf to another, or one closet to another, or one room to another. Getting it all organized was like solving a giant puzzle. Fortunately, I like solving puzzles!

Where was Clark all afternoon while I, in shorts and a t-shirt, worked to get the inside of the boat habitable? He was in long sleeves and long pants sitting in the pilot house on his computer. Even though there was little-to-no sun and we had a cool breeze, I was still sweating hot with shorts and a t-shirt. He, meanwhile, was complaining about the breeze through the boat when I had the door open!

I did get his help taking the laundry to the washroom and coming to get some of it when it was done. Otherwise, he read emails most of the day. The Great Loop forum, the MTOA forum, the SSCA forum, and who-knows-whatever-other forums keep him busy by sending him emails. He is sure to peruse every one of the emails for heaven forbid he should miss something.

Having started before 2:00, I finally declared my jobs done shortly after 5:00. I certainly got more than my normal amount of exercise today. We leave Jacksonville in the morning. The next few days we will mostly be at anchor, so it's good that I got in the exercise while I could. 






No comments:

Post a Comment