Monday, November 2, 2020

2020: Beaufort SC

31 October 2020 --  Happy Halloween
No boat travel.

We liked this anchorage and decided to stay here an extra night instead of looking for a new place to drop anchor. What a treat to have no where to go and no demands on our time for a day!


1 November 2020
Depart: Jenkin's Creek Anchorage 8:53
Arrive: Port Royal Landing & Marina, Beaufort, SC 11:30
Distance: 19.1 nm
Conditions: Sunny, 40% chance of rain, cold NW wind

Clark got up around 6:30 and captured a picture of the sunrise. 




We saw a dark cloud heading our way and wondered if we would make it to Beaufort without a soaking.




Before heading up to the bow to bring up the anchor, Clark reminded me of the path through the waterways back to the ICW. I was doing well and very intent of staying in the deep water. I was so intent that I completely forgot about the turn off Morgan River onto Parrot Creek. Had I continued on, I would have brought us to the ocean! 

Clark was watching over my shoulder. He thought I was going straight to avoid shoaling but eventually figured out that I was going to go the wrong direction. I promptly gave the helm to him and sat back to enjoy the view. A short while later I was glad that I had surrendered control of the helm as it looked like we would be heading into the marshes as part of our journey. Clark pointed out that in these waters, it can be hard to spot the creeks. 





On today's short trip we got to see lots and lots of marshland.







Long walks over marshes to docks




Clark could see range markers up ahead. As he got closer and closer, he decided that the channel must have shifted. He said that if he lined up with the range, he would be out of the channel in the shallow water.


Range Markers


Again today we had a dolphin that decided to travel with us. 




Our travels took us past the Marine Corps Air Station in Beaufort (Merritt Field).  We passed an ominous sign saying "Danger Military Operations Zone - Currently Open to Navigation". 


Danger Military Operations Zone

A short while later we passed a dock with a lot of "Keep Off" signs posted.




Clark spied a sailboat anchored in the area. He debated with himself - is this a ketch or a yawl? I could not help him decide.


Ketch or Yawl??


Beaufort Launch Ramp


How did that big boat get behind the marshes?


Ah! a backdoor to the dock!

As we entered the Beaufort area, we came to a bridge with a sign that read "Idle Speed Until Next Bridge; Strictly Enforced; $1025 fine or 30 days in jail". 


Definitely want to slow down at this bridge!

At idle speed, it felt like ages to get to our marina. We passed a place where we anchored overnight once in the past. Looking at the sailboats anchored there as we passed, Clark mentioned that when we anchored there, he was worried about being too close to the channel and having a barge come through during the night to find us in the way. According to the charts, one of the sailboats was anchored on the magenta line! I guess he wasn't worried about barges needing room.


S/V with burgundy sail covers anchored 
on magenta line.


Eventually we passed by Beaufort and the Municipal Marina.


Beaufort, SC


We managed to get ourselves to Port Royal Landing and secured to the dock in the nick of time as a big black cloud headed our way. 





A "Trump Train" of boats passing by the marina at that time was not so lucky.


It "rained on their parade"!

After the rain passed, we grabbed our bags to go food shopping. Clark checked the map and found a Piggly Wiggly within walking distance - about 1 mile each way. I brought along my "Trolley Dolly" to tote back the goods.

View leaving the marina on our walk


Piggly Wiggly did not have everything that I wanted. In particular their selection of vegetables did not quite 'do it' for me. We decided to make the journey to Publix to supplement our food shopping. Publix is over a tall bridge and about 2.5 miles away from the marina. Having sat on the boat with minimal exercise opportunities for the past weeks, I wondered how I would do with so much "fun" all in one day.

Views from the bridge ...







It was a struggle but I managed to make it up and over the tall bridge. I felt like the Little Red Caboose ... I think I can, I think I can, ... I reminded myself that it would be a lovely downhill run once I got to the top. I couldn't help wondering how I would do on the way back carrying food. 

Perhaps I could have made it over the bridge on the way back (doubtful), but a bug flew into my mouth making me cough and choke for a good bit of distance. It was hopeless trying to make it to the top, so 3/4 of the way up I got off and walked my bike until I could get the fun ride down the other side. 

Meanwhile, Clark happily pedaled away taking more pictures on the route back to the boat and from the bridge.



Mud flats

Low tide view from bridge



We crossed over the bridge around 4:30 or so. With the time change the day before, we were fast approaching dusk. I could see the sun getting lower in the sky and thought the top of the bridge would be a great place for a sunset shot. Unfortunately, if we did that we would be getting back to the boat in the dark. No worries! Clark got sunset pictures later at the docks.






2 November 2020
No boat travel.

We spent 15 minutes adjusting fenders and lines when we docked yesterday. Overnight the winds picked up and generated tons of waves to knock us around and against the dock. Even with all the time we spent, I had a terrible time trying to sleep due to the noises being generated by the movement of the boat. Clark explained that the bulk of the noise came from the stretching and rubbing of the bow line. I hope I get a better rest tonight.

Straightening the anchor shank provided our main motivation for coming to this marina. Yesterday Clark and I removed the anchor from the bow and disassembled it in preparation for taking it to the Pender Brothers repair shop today. Given he planned to bike there, he needed to carry the shank in his backpack. I helped him get set up by tying the shank in place to help keep it secure.




There he goes!


While Clark was gone, I gathered up my ton of laundry, managed to get me and it off the rocking boat, braved the cold wind, and made my way up to the wash room. I worried that after the long dock walk there I would find the washers busy. Fortunately, I had the place to myself for the whole time. By the time Clark got back from the repair shop, I had the wash mostly done, and he was able to help me bring a portion of it back to the boat.

Clark brought back a couple of pictures he took on his bike ride to the repair shop.


Spanish Moss Trail



With the anchor shank straightened, Clark cleaned the parts,  reassembled the anchor, and did some epoxy repair work on the anchor spade. 




Ready to assemble


Insert shank in slot






Secure with bolt


Repair using epoxy on anchor blade

 
Besides the aforementioned jobs, Clark washed some salt off the boat and filled the water tank. While he did that, I ran the vacuum through the boat. With provisions, repairs, and a semi-clean boat, we are ready to depart tomorrow to continue towards Florida. 



1 comment: