Saturday, January 12, 2019

2019: Faro Blanco Marina

12/29/2018 to 1/12/2019
Maintenance runs on boat only.

The trip back to Florida from New Jersey was another episode of planes, trains, and automobiles. We called for a Lyft ride to take us to the train station near our home, took the train to the airport, flew into Fort Lauderdale airport, and then found our way to the Keys Shuttle bus for the three-hour ride to bring us back to the marina.

When we got to Newark airport and found our flight was delayed, I prayed it would not be a repeat of the 4-hour delay we had flying out of Florida into Newark. This time, we had to wait for the equipment flying in from Panama. The plane finally arrived, and we got underway. The delay was short enough that we had no trouble landing in time to catch the Keys Shuttle. After the long bus ride, we got back to the boat around 11:30 at night after a full day of travel.

While in CT / NJ, I (Evelyn) got an upper respiratory infection. It seemed like just a bad cold. I decided to take it easy and stay on the boat resting for the next couple of days.

New Year's Eve was a very busy day at the marina. Clark and I decided not to indulge in the very expensive dinner at the marina restaurant. We did attend docktails and saw a lot of other boaters who also decided to forgo the fancy dinner.


The crowd at docktails

Earlier in the day, I heard Clark talking to some folks on the docks near our boat. Eric and Jen told him, "We got married today." Clark responded with, "Oh, happy anniversary!" Eric replied, "No, we got married today!" They explained that, on their way to the store, they stopped by city hall and actually got married. They decided that since everyone would be partying on New Year's Eve, it was a good day to get married.

The newlyweds at docktails - Eric and Jen

After dinner on the boat, Clark and I walked around the marina talking with our friends, listening to the live music, and killing time waiting for the new year to arrive.


Borrowed party hats saying Happy New Year
Friends Jim and Faith (Third Degree) at New Year's Eve party

Around 10:00 I was pooped and went back to the boat to rest. Clark suggested that I go to bed and that sounded great to me even though I hated to miss the new year's arrival.

At midnight an anchor was lowered from the top of the lighthouse still adorned in Christmas lights.


Clark selfie of anchor dropping from top of lighthouse
at midnight


Yay! Happy New Year 2019


Besides music, dancing, and a dropped anchor, the marina had fireworks to greet the new year. Although I was not participating in the festivities, I could hear all the excitement from within the boat.

Unfortunately, I must have overdone it on New Year's Eve just by walking around the marina in the chill air because my health took a serious turn for the worse. I finally went to the doctor's on January 2nd, and the doctor told me I had developed pneumonia. I got some antibiotics and climbed into bed to stay there for a good long time.

Meanwhile, activities continued to happen at the marina. One day a family of manatees came to hang out beside the boat. We had four of them directly beside our boat, and they stayed for a good long time.


Manatee snout

Manatee next to our boat

Another day, Clark went visiting boating friends and found them catching lobsters from under the dock. They had to measure them to see if they were "keepers". They were all too small and had to be thrown back in.






Later that day, January 5th, the marina had some more excitement. Clark had gone for a walk along the docks and saw a boat out in the water - not moving. It turned out that a boater, trying to come into the marina in the dark, missed the channel and ended up on the rocks.


Boat on the wrong side of the green marker - sitting on rocks

Clark came back and got me, so I could walk out and see the boat. Several people were out on the dock gawking at the spectacle. We heard folks talking and learned that the boat was new to the owner, they had never been to the marina before, and their spot light was broken. I understand at least a couple of beers played into the picture.

As we watched, some official folks went out on another boat (Environment Protection) to board this one, check it for leaks and potential damage to the environment, and take off whatever portable equipment (mostly fishing gear) could be removed in case the boat sank overnight. Fifteen knot winds and a swift current did not help the situation, and Tow Boat US refused to attempt pulling the boat off in the dark.

We heard someone say, "It's a salvage situation." Others worried what damage would be done to the boat rubbing on the rocks all night long. We hung out for a while but it became clear that nothing new would happen until morning. The next morning Tow Boat US came and successfully removed the boat from the rocks with minimal damage to the boat. Lucky!!




Mel and Ann on Morning Star II are the docktails promoters. They have an ice cream maker and have several times now hosted what I call an "ice cream social". They provide the ice cream and ask the rest of us to bring toppings. One day we had a pot luck dinner including Key Lime pie and homemade ice cream for dessert.


Wok on end of table contains the stir fry veggies
Clark and I provided for the pot luck dinner.
Big success!



Homemade Ice Cream


With me being seriously under the weather, Clark has been busy with my chores such as food shopping and even some laundry. It has definitely been challenging for him and me. I reduced my shopping lists to the bare minimum and hoped for the best. One day he went, by car, to the farmer's market and Publix with two women I normally shop with. I apologized to them in advance knowing that it would take many times longer for him, than it would for me, to buy the same items.

Since then he has made multiple bike trips to the store. Thus far I have not felt that I had the energy to accompany him by bicycle. Given my lack of energy for just about anything, Clark managed to find others at the marina to spend time with. He enjoys listening to John Bartus play guitar at the marina. One evening, he found some friends to enjoy the music with him.


Boaters on "Flight" including Maxx the dog
enjoying music at the Lighthouse Grill with Clark

Although easily exhausted, I am finally feeling better. Today Clark went off with three boater friends to a boater's flea market on Big Pine Key, while I went with my girl friends to the farmer's market and Publix. This evening we had yet another ice cream social with the "bring-toppings-to-share" theme. It was a huge success and brought in the crowd. Boaters love ice cream!

No blog entry would be complete without at least one sunset picture. Here are two taken on different days in the past week or so.


Sunset at Faro Blanco Marina


Docktails at Sunset - Faro Blanco Marina


No comments:

Post a Comment